RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Disagree.
What do you disagree with? You’re likely not liable for anything (I agree there), but Rivian has repeatedly specified that their adapter is currently the only one “authorized” for use….so if “something happens”, while you might not end up “liable for damages”, Rivian (and your warranty) also won’t be liable for your bricked vehicle…
Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
I agree, and that they should include adapters with all new deliveries to avoid shipping costs to send to folks that just took delivery. Whether we get one in three weeks or five weeks likely won't change much, although I know we'd all love to have an adapter now.
It’s funny that you are talking in terms of “weeks”. It’s more likely going to be months before the majority of current owners receive adapters… I would be surprised if everyone has them before 2025 after the manual tonneau fiasco

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
This is not a popular opinion. As a long time owner (2021 reservation 2023 delivery 🤔), I hope they prioritize new owners. We are early Rivian adapters and we have been around the block. If this accelertes the sale to bring in middle/late adapters, I would tell Rivian to do that. I am selfish for Rivian to thrive and thus can support our vehicles long term.
So what you are saying is the earlier you bought the truck....the later you should be to get the adapter? So if you were first to buy one....you should be last to get an adapter?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I am wondering what constitutes the "priority for longest standing owners". We are some of the earliest Rivian adopters on 11/28/18, but did not take delivery until 04/26/23.

Brian

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
According to RJ it’s 15,000 super chargers. How many would it take to graduate from small number to medium?
Also, there are quite a few Ford owners using the same adapter and it doesn’t appear much different than the magic docks that have been around for a while and I can verify those work, although the plug-n-play looks like a nice benefit.
I think in terms of area coverage more so then in terms of number of plugs. I'm a Tesla owner as well and I'm pretty familiar with the available chargers for me between San Francisco and Seattle and in the PacNW in general, for example. Very few of them show up in the map as usable w/ adapter today. Folks in New England report the same thing.

I've been driving electric for a long time so this is no big deal for me, I know how to plan a trip. I could see newbies struggling though as they pass many Super Chargers they still can't use. That is the expectation setting I think that'll be hard.

Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
How about priority for long-term shareholders? I heard another EV company is doing that, jus sayin....

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Disagree.
This isn't an agree/disagree "here's my opinion" kind of discussion. That nonsense isn't going to hold up in court. Or in reality at all.

CALL your insurance and posit exactly what you're claiming will work out for you here. Record the conversation. Anything less than YOUR INSURANCE stating EXACTLY "We will warranty the use of aftermarket adapters, which we understand are NOT currently supported or approved to use for charging your Rivian in the event of any catastrophic failure resulting in the damage to your vehicle, the infrastructure to which you are connected, and any adjacent property damage or injuries that may result from that failure. WE fully understand that neither Rivian nor Tesla have approved these adapters, but bear the liability all the same."

Short of that, you don't have a leg to stand on. Hitchens Razor.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
This isn't an agree/disagree "here's my opinion" kind of discussion. That nonsense isn't going to hold up in court. Or in reality at all.

CALL your insurance and posit exactly what you're claiming will work out for you here. Record the conversation. Anything less than YOUR INSURANCE stating EXACTLY "We will warranty the use of aftermarket adapters, which we understand are NOT currently supported or approved to use for charging your Rivian in the event of any catastrophic failure resulting in the damage to your vehicle, the infrastructure to which you are connected, and any adjacent property damage or injuries that may result from that failure. WE fully understand that neither Rivian nor Tesla have approved these adapters, but bear the liability all the same."

Short of that, you don't have a leg to stand on. Hitchens Razor.
I couldn't disagree with you more on everything you said.

I'm also an attorney that does civil litigation with insurance companies.

But you're certainly entitled to follow your own advice.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
I am wondering what constitutes the "priority for longest standing owners". We are some of the earliest Rivian adopters on 11/28/18, but did not take delivery until 04/26/23.

Brian
I would assume it is based on delivery. That is roughly, but not completely, in line with reservations. With the caveats around certain states and max pack. People are getting free adapters and if it takes a few weeks longer I don’t see the issue.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I think in terms of area coverage more so then in terms of number of plugs. I'm a Tesla owner as well and I'm pretty familiar with the available chargers for me between San Francisco and Seattle and in the PacNW in general, for example. Very few of them show up in the map as usable w/ adapter today. Folks in New England report the same thing.

I've been driving electric for a long time so this is no big deal for me, I know how to plan a trip. I could see newbies struggling though as they pass many Super Chargers they still can't use. That is the expectation setting I think that'll be hard.
100% agree. There is going to be a lot of confusion as to why you can't use any Tesla supercharger. Hopefully Tesla is planning on replacing the V1 and V2 chargers quickly with V4s.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I think the app filters are flakey. When I first tried it I got the same results as you. I was actually looking SF to LA which I’ve done more than SF to Seattle. Then I fiddled and it showed me most of the superchargers. For example the one in Kettleman city. The initial list looked like just the magic docks (e.g. it had Scott’s Valley).
Time will tell, but I can’t imagine them having 15,000 chargers but some how skipping west coast and New England.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I couldn't disagree with you more on everything you said.

I'm also an attorney that does civil litigation with insurance companies.

But you're certainly entitled to follow your own advice.
I love playing the 'appeal to authority card.' Let's play. My father-in-law was a DA in his life and one of the bits of advice he gave us was "never trust an attorney willing to give a definitive answer without precedence."

So, where's the court case that was ruled in favor of the party who used the 3rd party adapter against protocol and caused a catastrophic failure? I, personally, have no idea--so you could just make something up here too. But you should also probably do that thing all other lawyers do where they start out:
'I am a lawyer, BUT I'M NOT YOUR LAWYER, and THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE' :CWL:

Otherwise, I bet everyone here would like your practice contact information for if/when they have such a case, then they can call you. Think of all the prospective business!! What have you to lose?!

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I think the app filters are flakey. When I first tried it I got the same results as you. I was actually looking SF to LA which I’ve done more than SF to Seattle. Then I fiddled and it showed me most of the superchargers. For example the one in Kettleman city. The initial list looked like just the magic docks (e.g. it had Scott’s Valley).
Time will tell, but I can’t imagine them having 15,000 chargers but some how skipping west coast and New England.
I hope that is the issue. There are some super high value Tesla Super Chargers in Washington that would be a game changer that currently appear not available.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I would assume it is based on delivery. That is roughly, but not completely, in line with reservations. With the caveats around certain states and max pack. People are getting free adapters and if it takes a few weeks longer I don’t see the issue.

It would have been nice to think that Rivian's earliest customers would get at least a little consideration.

Brian
Sponsored