Sponsored

Brand new R1S is DEAD

Riv E In

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S DM
Clubs

Picked up my R1S less than two weeks ago. 205 miles on it now. Battery was at 70%. Parked it at kids baseball game tonight. Came back an hour later. It wakes, but when I get in a chime is sounding. The car won’t fully turn on and won’t drive. I get out and get back in. Same thing. Try a reset. Same thing. Then got a CRITICAL BATTERY ISSUE message pop up on the display. Called Rivian and left the car. They tell me I need to leave a key there, so I go back. Now my phone says Replace 12v Battery when I open the app and the car is completely dead. Can’t unlock it or anything. It’s supposedly getting towed tonight to the service center.

I can’t tell you how disappointed and frustrated I am with this happening with a brand new (and very expensive) vehicle.

Rivian R1T R1S Brand new R1S is DEAD IMG_1498

Rivian R1T R1S Brand new R1S is DEAD IMG_1496
Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Oof, that’s frustrating. Let us know how it goes!

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That sucks. Hope you get it back fixed quickly.

Consolation? Others have had the same issue, though maybe not as quick after delivery as in your case.

OP
OP
Riv E In

Riv E In

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S DM
Clubs

Sponsored

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@Riv E In I had some issue with my 2024 R1S dying after less than a week after delivery. Not sure what the issue is but it’s at the service center. 2023 R1S never had battery issues. I wonder how often the 400v battery is bad and if this id happening more to 2024 models?

Don’t they test these things prior to delivery? Super frustrating experience.

Last edited:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

This sucks and it's not the experience you should be having. I'm sorry this happened to you but I'm confident Rivian will make this right.

The 12v batteries are pretty bad unfortunately. There have been a lot of reports of bricked trucks due to defective 12v batteries. The issue has lessened tremendously since the truck launched but still pops up unfortunately.

Rivian really needs to replace these 12v lead acid units with a lithium like Tesla puts in their vehicles. They have more energy density and a much longer service life

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I'm pretty sure the root cause of your problem is the high voltage battery. The 12 volt battery going bad is just the result of the high voltage battery no longer being able to charge it.

However, I do think that using such a tiny 12-volt battery was a design mistake. It is also poor design decision to not have a lower power computer responsible for doors and other standby tasks.

Rivian should have designed the vehicle so that it can go several days or even months without topping off the 12-volt battery, like every ICE vehicle ever made. But that's not what we got. The 12 volt battery can't survive even a day without being topped off from the HV battery.

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX, M3, 4Runner, FJ60, GTO
Occupation
Retired AS Engineer
Sorry for the folks dealing with this design issue - For Rivian's sake let's hope this design issue is fixed with the refreshed R1s starting in May.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Welcome to the club. Many similar 12V threads here but I guess not enough for an actual recall. ;-)

philofilm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna 2004
Occupation
Film/TV
I'm pretty sure the root cause of your problem is the high voltage battery. The 12 volt battery going bad is just the result of the high voltage battery no longer being able to charge it.

However, I do think that using such a tiny 12-volt battery was a design mistake. It is also poor design decision to not have a lower power computer responsible for doors and other standby tasks.

Rivian should have designed the vehicle so that it can go several days or even months without topping off the 12-volt battery, like every ICE vehicle ever made. But that's not what we got. The 12 volt battery can't survive even a day without being topped off from the HV battery.
Couldn’t agree more with this.
Sponsored