Sponsored

Does the frunk of your Rivian get hot to the touch? Or is this my first problem.

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
I noticed and wondered why the inside of the fronk was so hot, I do live in the desert but it seams a little hotter than I would expect. Is it me be cautious with my first EV or is a legitimate concern?
Sponsored

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

I noticed and wondered why the inside of the fronk was so hot, I do live in the desert but it seams a little hotter than I would expect. Is it me be cautious with my first EV or is a legitimate concern?
The cooling radiators for the battery/electronics is in the front space surrounding the frunk, so yes it is pretty normal that that area will get quite warm.

OP
OP
Big Bad VooDoo

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
The cooling radiators for the battery/electronics is in the front space surrounding the frunk, so yes it is pretty normal that that area will get quite warm.
Thanks for sharing. Now for my second question, why would you promote use of the fronk as a cooler when its that warm in there? LOL, just laughing to myself.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
And then the cooler would put off even more heat. Makes me wonder if Rivian deep-6’d the drunk 12V to discourage drunk coolers altogether

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
Thanks for sharing. Now for my second question, why would you promote use of the fronk as a cooler when its that warm in there? LOL, just laughing to myself.
I've seen this idea mentioned by a few people. Where is it promoted to use the frunk as a cooler?

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've seen this idea mentioned by a few people. Where is it promoted to use the frunk as a cooler?
Its because it has a drain.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Its because it has a drain.
Which youtubers turned into a party feature because melting ice is obviously the only way you could end up with water in the frunk, right? For a while there it seemed like the "let's show how the frunk can be used as a cooler" was the must have segment for youtube EV car reviews because it was more entertaining than something as basic as spilled liquid, accidentally leaving the hood up in a rain storm, or water incursion from driving through deep water too fast.

Last edited:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I can't site the exact communication but Rivian team members were certainly promoting the use of the frunk as a cooler. I have actually used it as such on a few occasions while tailgating and people really get a kick out of it.
Back to the OP's comment yes it gets warm in there because the inverter drive unit is just behind the the frunk and the radiator is just below the front of it. I can imagine in hot climates it would work better as a burrito warmer than a beverage cooler.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

I can't site the exact communication but Rivian team members were certainly promoting the use of the frunk as a cooler. I have actually used it as such on a few occasions while tailgating and people really get a kick out of it.
Back to the OP's comment yes it gets warm in there because the inverter drive unit is just behind the the frunk and the radiator is just below the front of it. I can imagine in hot climates it would work better as a burrito warmer than a beverage cooler.
Maybe the conversation went like this:
Influencer: "Wow cool can I climb into this frunk thingy?"
Rivian Rep: "Sure."
Influencer: "Could this be used as a cooler?"
Rivian Rep: "Sure"
Influencer: "Wow this space for a spare tire is cool. Can this be sued as a cooler?"
Influencer: "This truck is amazing."
Rivian Rep: "Yep, we thought of everything."

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Maybe the conversation went like this:
Influencer: "Wow cool can I climb into this frunk thingy?"
Rivian Rep: "Sure."
Influencer: "Could this be used as a cooler?"
Influencer: "Wow this space for a spare tire is cool. Can this be sued as a cooler?"
Influencer: "This truck is amazing."
Rivian Rep: "Yep, we thought of everything."
I get what your saying but it wasn't that. If I'm not mistaken it was Brian Gase that I heard it from but I didn't get that he was making it up it was apparently a purposeful design initiative... and yes the spare compartment was noted as having the same capability.
Also Rivian employees were the first people I saw crawl inside the gear tunnel.
The Rivian Frunk actually works well for a cooler it just goes through more ice than you'd expect. Now I saw someone on the internet had filled a Mach-E frunk with shrimp cocktail... that''s a stretch.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Its encouraged to use it as a cooler so the BMS doesn't have to work so hard during fast charging. :cool:

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I get what your saying but it wasn't that. If I'm not mistaken it was Brian Gase that I heard it from but I didn't get that he was making it up it was apparently a purposeful design initiative... and yes the spare compartment was noted as having the same capability.
Also Rivian employees were the first people I saw crawl inside the gear tunnel.
The Rivian Frunk actually works well for a cooler it just goes through more ice than you'd expect. Now I saw someone on the internet had filled a Mach-E frunk with shrimp cocktail... that''s a stretch.
I have, more than once, seen it mentioned that Rivian did not encourage using the frunk as an ice chest. However, it is entirely possible that in some promotion and/or advance publicity that some Rivian employee(s) have promoted that use, or failed to discourage it when someone else mentioned it.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

When I picked up my R1S at delivery ~2 months ago, the advisor suggested it on their own: “you can even use the frunk as a cooler, and it holds a lot of ice!”

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
From a quick google search I find a Tweet from Rivian's official account stating specifically you can fill the frunk with ice and use it as a cooler. It is a tweet from 3/9/22. I am confident I have seen videos of other Rivian employees also stating it was designed so it could be used as an ice chest to keep things cold. is there something you could point to from Rivian where they contradict this and say it's not recommended? It wouldn't surprise me if they did I'm just not aware of it.
On a side note from Car & Driver:
Rivian R1T R1S Does the frunk of your Rivian get hot to the touch? Or is this my first problem. 1684949168720

Mmm... E-Coli anyone?

OP
OP
Big Bad VooDoo

Big Bad VooDoo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
That is a great idea, good for Uber Eats to use and keep the food warm as they deliver. Or that pizza that keeps sliding all over the inside of the car.
Sponsored