SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think that it's s pretty nice idea. I would like to see more of these in harsh climate locations.

Brian
Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
24/7 temperature controlled with bathrooms. Perfect spot to provide for those live in tents.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Doesn't bode well for their FLAGSHIP location...
I laughed.

The EA headquarters is here in Northern Virginia. I went there once to try to charge. The parking lot was poorly lit, no amenities nearby, full of construction barrels, and had a weird layout with 3 out of 4 chargers occupied. I couldn't figure out how to pull in and have the cord reach so went elsewhere. Which is just as well, because according to Plugshare that 4th charger was down, anyway. 🤦😆

Move

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is a great conceptual idea that could turn into the convenience store of the future, but poorly executed in the wrong location. EV charging companies need to get wise to the fact they have a captive audience for longer than a typical gas station. If they use these locations to profit off of other services, arcade, food, shopping, etc, they would transform the industry.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This is a great conceptual idea that could turn into the convenience store of the future, but poorly executed in the wrong location. EV charging companies need to get wise to the fact they have a captive audience for longer than a typical gas station. If they use these locations to profit off of other services, arcade, food, shopping, etc, they would transform the industry.
That's why I am amazed that it's taking the truck stop locations so long to put in chargers.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

According to PlugShare it opened at 6:34 am this morning and one person charged a Chevy bolt and checked in on PlugShare

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

According to PlugShare it opened at 6:34 am this morning and one person charged a Chevy bolt and checked in on PlugShare
And is still charging to 100%...

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I agree with others that the choice of location is strange but then again, if you live in the city without access to L2 or are one of the many ride-share drivers working there, this might be a welcome addition.

Have they said what other locations might be in the works?

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
That's a lot to spend just to create a charging station in SF that is free of human feces.

RedRaiderRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Canyon Red
I agree with others that the choice of location is strange but then again, if you live in the city without access to L2 or are one of the many ride-share drivers working there, this might be a welcome addition.

Have they said what other locations might be in the works?
The article says they are targeting residents that live in the area not necessarily people on road trips. I think this is a great idea for similar locations in the urban core of cities where apartment dwellers don't have access to charging. I agree it could be combined with a grocery store or other shopping amenity but that takes vision, coordination between multiple owners, and probably city approvals that may be hard to get.

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Enigma instructor
Great. Good for them BUT every where else the broken changers need fixing. Perhaps this is indicates better coming from Electrify America. Tesla is so far ahead of all the others combined it’s stunning.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Even with "monitoring and security", how will they prevent this location from getting trashed or overrun by homeless people?

Edit : posted the same question on Reddit, and the comment was summarily deleted by the Reddit mods (most of whom are on here as well). I guess we'll just have to revisit this once it gets running and is on Plugshare to see real customer feedback. Believe me, I want more locations like this, but securing will be costly.
Unfortunate, but not surprising. Reddit and many on it are very careful to cultivate a certain narrative because it's a sensitive bunch of users. Honest discussion should be permitted but moderated to keep things from going off the rails. Kinda what a moderators, you know, supposed to do.
Sponsored