First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
We have the Dewalt equivalent. I don't understand why people get so excited about built-in air compressors. The battery-powered inflators are compact, cheap, work well and don't require dealing with a long hose.
I have 2 of the Dewalt equivalent...nice to have multiple tires re-inflating at same time.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mjsull

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon R1S, also Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The newest version of the Rivian Tire Service Guide talks about the Air Compressor Service Kit and describes it in detail.

Attachments

Sponsored

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

So now that Rivian stopped including onboard air as a standard feature, what are you new-to-be Gen2 owners going to do in the event you are on a road trip and get a puncture or a slow leak, and there is no gas station with air available? Last time I drove home from Las Vegas my buddy got a nail in his tire, we pulled it out, plugged it, and pumped it back up using a simple 12V air compressor, all while on the side of the road; 30 minutes later we were back on the road and the fix got us home where he was able to get a new tire at his convenience. This saved us a tow truck and probably a half-day delay.

I have a good 12V compressor but it requires connection to a traditional large car battery with enough amps to get the job done. Looking at the Rivian shop hardly any of the R1S vehicles come with onboard air now, definitely not for the config that I'm looking for. So this begs the question, what other solutions are out there?
Milwaukee makes a bad ass 12v battery air compressor. I use one in my van that has air bags. It is worth the cost.

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

So now that Rivian stopped including onboard air as a standard feature, what are you new-to-be Gen2 owners going to do in the event you are on a road trip and get a puncture or a slow leak, and there is no gas station with air available? Last time I drove home from Las Vegas my buddy got a nail in his tire, we pulled it out, plugged it, and pumped it back up using a simple 12V air compressor, all while on the side of the road; 30 minutes later we were back on the road and the fix got us home where he was able to get a new tire at his convenience. This saved us a tow truck and probably a half-day delay.

I have a good 12V compressor but it requires connection to a traditional large car battery with enough amps to get the job done. Looking at the Rivian shop hardly any of the R1S vehicles come with onboard air now, definitely not for the config that I'm looking for. So this begs the question, what other solutions are out there?
You still have the option to buy the compressor. It's a $350 add on.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

I don't find the onboard compressor better than the decent portable ones. Seems to fill up tires at about the same rate. That Ryobi one linked earlier is what I have.
I always carry my Ryobi to top off since my on-board has a tendency to overshoot. I just now use the onboard to fill up to 45psi after offroad then top off with the Ryobi. I have tested the Ryobi to go from 30 to 48 psi and I can do ~ 2 tires with the onboard. SO the onboard is ~ 2x faster than the Ryobi when going 30psi to 48psi.

Once it dies I'll probably upgrade to the Milwaukee M12

You still have the option to buy the compressor. It's a $350 add on.
How does the price compare to what is available aftermarket from ARB? Anyone which ARB is comparable to our built in?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I bought 3 of these Lowe's Kobalt 12 volt inflators years, gave 1 to each of my daughters plus one for my Avalanche. Oh snap, it needs a 12 Volt outlet !!! ;)
Rivian R1T R1S Gen2s Missing Onboard Air Compressors 1719341922463-4d

Sponsored

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Onboard air takes me 4-5 minutes per tire to air up from 30psi to 50. Looks like the $40 Costco one would be much too slow if you need to air up all four tires. Same for all except the quite expensive portable compressors, it looks like. Not a bad option for fixing a flat in an emergency though.

tpberding

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS2; R1S; Porsche Macan

I have used the onboard compressor in my R1T four times. Once to get the tires back up to proper inflation, and three times to pump up my grandson’s footballs and a new basketball. That might sound silly, but it was really cool to be able to do that for him and he became very impressed with the R1T. He’s 10 now. But maybe he’ll maintain his enthusiasm for EVs.
This and all of the other replies, convince me that my R1S Quad, bought at the original announced price, and even waiting two years for it, was the best auto purchase decision I've ever made. It has all the bells and whistles except anything new on

tpberding

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS2; R1S; Porsche Macan
This and all of the other replies, convince me that my R1S Quad, bought at the original announced price, and even waiting two years for it, was the best auto purchase decision I've ever made. It has everything available then, including the compressor and camp speaker, and will get some OTA upgrades going forward. Couldn't be happier with a vehicle.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

"inflators" are fine for the occasional top up but won't have the duty cycle of on board air. Ive burned up many cheap compressors. Just drive to altitude on a hot day go 4wheeling and then air up a few sets of 33-35" tires for you and your buddies. See how long that inflator survives. Even long duty cycle ones have a temp switch and kick off.

It's apparent many here don't spend time off road and yes there are patches to repair torn sidewalls and keep going.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Last edited: