Sponsored

Half Shaft / CV Joint Noise

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

FWIW mobile service was able to address my squeaking(also seemed to remove a thunk that i guess i had gotten used to and seemed to be more an on/off thing but maybe also was a symptom) without removing wheels and it's been good for about a month now. That is to say, it's potential something small could probably prevent it from happening as it's not really a wear on the part itself as it seems to be more about an undesired movement.
What was the issue and what did they do to fix it?

Mines been in to the SC twice with no improvement. The first time they said they checked all the bolts and made sure everything was torqued properly. Otherwise, did they even look for a problem or did they just say “it sounds like our test vehicle, so it must be normal”? Who knows?

I did send a lengthy email to Rivian two days ago and still no response other than the automated email acknowledging receipt. Very frustrating at this point! I’ve been dealing it with it for 7,000+ miles.
Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
What was the issue and what did they do to fix it?

Mines been in to the SC twice with no improvement. The first time they said they checked all the bolts and made sure everything was torqued properly. Otherwise, did they even look for a problem or did they just say “it sounds like our test vehicle, so it must be normal”? Who knows?

I did send a lengthy email to Rivian two days ago and still no response other than the automated email acknowledging receipt. Very frustrating at this point! I’ve been dealing it with it for 7,000+ miles.
Sounds like they in combo with grease had to loosen something, move axle a bit(towards inner cv joint or outer CV joint?), then tighten something back up.

hutsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
stupid country butt doctor
Love deprivian! Hadn’t seen that one yet. I have to force myself to invite the noises as I drive City streets everyday. But yes, have resorted to cranking the music!
My drivers side roof speaker is blown. So I can’t listen to music. It sounds worse than the creaking, clicking, thumping. I tried to get it serviced but they won’t pick it up anymore. I think I might just sell this thing as I’ve still been driving my Tesla as much as the rivian.

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
My drivers side roof speaker is blown. So I can’t listen to music. It sounds worse than the creaking, clicking, thumping. I tried to get it serviced but they won’t pick it up anymore. I think I might just sell this thing as I’ve still been driving my Tesla as much as the rivian.
So no mobile service for a blown speaker?

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
These suspension noises kill a lot of enjoyment of the truck. I might get bothered by these things more than others but I absolutely hate hearing it and it almost makes me cringe every time I push on the accelerator.

I wish they would acknowledge it and at least let us know if there's a retroactive fix in the works for next year.
Their lack communication of dual motor specs, max pack specs, lack of acknowledgment on known problems, vehicles being delivered and people immediately having problems that should have been caught ahead of time has me really double thinking my order.

Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
For those experiencing these noises/problems, can you please post your VIN so we can see if the issue is more prevalent on earlier production models? I'm in the VIN 6,500 range and have the tocking/suspension noises.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
For those experiencing these noises/problems, can you please post your VIN so we can see if the issue is more prevalent on earlier production models? I'm in the VIN 6,500 range and have the tocking/suspension noises.
I have VIN 119XX, and had a loaner 125XX both have the issue.

I think every Rivian either currently or will have this problem. I haven't met a Rivian owner yet who doesn't have the issue to some degree.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
With how hard this vehicle regens, wouldn't having zero slack in the drivetrain give us all whiplash at every stop and go?

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

I'm VIN 22XX.

And I did end up emailing Rivian last Wednesday. Guess what.......not a single peep back from them (other than the automated response acknowledging receipt of the email)!

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
I’ve driven three now (early and late vins ) and all had horrible CV noise at the high setting.

Sponsored

bearcats513

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford Maverick, Chevrolet Bolt
Clubs

Has anyone had a serious mechanical failure of any of these parts?

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I just had mine in for tire rotation at 9000 miles. I had slight creaking and tocking. They lubed the half shaft and the noise is gone. They said it is a common occurrence but an easy remedy.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
For what it's worth, I thought mine was blown as well. The one right above drivers head. But after a software update it hasn't happened again. Its bizzarre. I'm still going to have them look at it the next time I'm in.

In the meantime, turn off the surround sound and it won't use that speaker. At least you won't have the buzzing in your ear.

Jus10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold it in August thinking my R1T was close.....
I have the halfshaft noice (i assume) on my front driver wheel. Vin 103XX. It is only audible at low speeds, roughly under 5mph, with my suspension on low. I have not tested other heights or inspected the other wheels closely. I mainly hear it when I go through drive thru, with my window open. Its embarrassing as it can be heard all around. So people see a nice new truck and are intrigued, then hear that and make a weird face. Not a good look. I'm scheduled for service next week. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored