Sponsored

Manual tonneau: something doesn't stack up here ...

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
  • Banned
I know I've banged on about this many times in the past but I really could do with my tonneau for the holidays. Could have done with it for Thanksgiving, especially when I got the email saying my delivery window was 11/10 - 11/15. Needless to say, that came and went.

Patience running thin, I recently started prodding customer service and my guide only to get stock rebuttals and mixed messages. Guide says "don't have any visibility ... not able to even speak to someone within Rivian who works on the cover or someone in shipping ... my hands are tied, etc etc.". Basically saying, these tonneau covers are made and shipped from Santa's secret workshop and you'll get it when you get it.

Speak to customer service today as just curious if they could give me a price (as gear shop says 'coming coon') and they tell me the new stock is coming in SPRING 2024 !! I say "what about those who had the cover pre-configured when they bought the truck 1 year ago like me, and he said "oh yeah, er, they should be getting theirs some time soon". So which is it? You have the stock or not? If you have the stock, they should be flying out the door every day by the truck load.

Surely Rivian has a complete list of folks who configured the manual tonneau and so making/ordering the correct amount shouldn't have been difficult? They say they've fixed it (and resolved the address hiccup) but still nothing from my Guide or CS?

I'm not so pissed about not having nice-to-haves like a camp kitchen, tailgate pad or a roof tent, but for a truck, a tonneau cover is pretty important (for me at least). If Rivian had said "sorry, we've given up, not making them anymore" I would have happily bought a 3rd party one a long time ago. This is starting to look like amateur hour.

For those still waiting, I urge you to light a fire under your guide and/or anyone within Rivian who might be able to sort this.

P.S. appreciate that many have got their cover and are very happy :)
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Sorry this is happening to you, no one likes getting the idiot treatment!

I count my blessings that I was in one of the early batches that went out in the old/flimsy packaging and that mine was delivered in perfect condition.

Despite their impressive technical achievements, they struggle with the mundane day-to-day stuff that other companies find easy.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

So I originally asked for a refund on my Tonneau after seeing some of the quality issues.

My guide told me that was impossible.

I insisted again after their shipping delay, as I really wanted it for a holiday road trip. My guide told me I'd get a check in 4-6 weeks. I ordered the Interrobang one in the mean time.

4-6 weeks came and went. I was going to reach out to my guide again.

Instead of a check, a Rivian Manual Tonneu cover showed up at my door.

I still don't have the Interrobang one, but they're pretty clear that they don't do cancellations or refunds (which I get, considering the size of the business).

I'm just kind of embarrassed at the level of incompetence going on with this. Now I need to figure out how to get a refund AND return the tonneau cover. I'm expecting it to be a major headache, and I don't have time to do anything about it before the holidays.

I'm running out of patience for another multi-month circle jerk with lots of excuses and no solutions.

PS: I'd happily sell my Rivian Tonneu at the full $1,800 price to anyone in the Denver area. I don't expect any takers, but I'm throwing it out there if someone's interested. It's still unopened in the box.

OP
OP
SDH

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
  • Banned
The cynic in me almost thinks that someone at Rivian said; "hey, let's try and get all those folks who pre-bought the cover at $800 to either cancel so we can sell at $1,800 to new customers or get them to trade up to PTC". Seems unlikely for the sake of $1k at however many orders, but I'm left scratching my head at this s-show.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The cynic in me almost thinks that someone at Rivian said; "hey, let's try and get all those folks who pre-bought the cover at $800 to either cancel so we can sell at $1,800 to new customers or get them to trade up to PTC". Seems unlikely for the sake of $1k at however many orders, but I'm left scratching my head at this s-show.
Not for nothing, but I fully expect the new PTC's to turn in to a s-show too. That whole stacking panel storage arrangement is just odd.

Sponsored

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max
I should note that those who preconfigured with manual tonneau already paid for it. And have a car. With no tonneau. That was a surprise to me at pickup -- I was not notified in any way of missing parts, before and even after. Paid = the clock is literally ticking.

If they are quick about it, I'd be fine paying up the difference for a new powered-one.
My assumption is that backfill will be slower, still.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
So I originally asked for a refund on my Tonneau after seeing some of the quality issues.

I insisted again after their shipping delay, as I really wanted it for a holiday road trip. My guide told me I'd get a check in 4-6 weeks. I ordered the Interrobang one in the mean time.

I still don't have the Interrobang one, but they're pretty clear that they don't do cancellations or refunds (which I get, considering the size of the business).

I'm just kind of embarrassed at the level of incompetence going on with this. Now I need to figure out how to get a refund AND return the tonneau cover. I'm expecting it to be a major headache, and I don't have time to do anything about it before the holidays.

I'm running out of patience for another multi-month circle jerk with lots of excuses and no solutions.

PS: I'd happily sell my Rivian Tonneu at the full $1,800 price to anyone in the Denver area. I don't expect any takers, but I'm throwing it out there if someone's interested. It's still unopened in the box.
You have the cover and it works so just use it.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My window was 11/8-11/13. I got my shipping notification on Tuesday and the tonneau cover arrives on Saturday, a full month after quoted. I think they are shipping, just slowly, but they have resumed again. I have been pretty vocal about this as shown in the other threads. :)

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

You have the cover and it works so just use it.
I probably will. It was delivered a few days ago and I've been busy enough that I haven't had too much time to think about it.

I'd like to avoid any disputes with Rivian about whether it's returnable. I don't think that will happen, but my trust in the process is pretty low right now.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
I know I've banged on about this many times in the past but I really could do with my tonneau for the holidays. Could have done with it for Thanksgiving, especially when I got the email saying my delivery window was 11/10 - 11/15. Needless to say, that came and went.

Patience running thin, I recently started prodding customer service and my guide only to get stock rebuttals and mixed messages. Guide says "don't have any visibility ... not able to even speak to someone within Rivian who works on the cover or someone in shipping ... my hands are tied, etc etc.". Basically saying, these tonneau covers are made and shipped from Santa's secret workshop and you'll get it when you get it.

Speak to customer service today as just curious if they could give me a price (as gear shop says 'coming coon') and they tell me the new stock is coming in SPRING 2024 !! I say "what about those who had the cover pre-configured when they bought the truck 1 year ago like me, and he said "oh yeah, er, they should be getting theirs some time soon". So which is it? You have the stock or not? If you have the stock, they should be flying out the door every day by the truck load.

Surely Rivian has a complete list of folks who configured the manual tonneau and so making/ordering the correct amount shouldn't have been difficult? They say they've fixed it (and resolved the address hiccup) but still nothing from my Guide or CS?

I'm not so pissed about not having nice-to-haves like a camp kitchen, tailgate pad or a roof tent, but for a truck, a tonneau cover is pretty important (for me at least). If Rivian had said "sorry, we've given up, not making them anymore" I would have happily bought a 3rd party one a long time ago. This is starting to look like amateur hour.

For those still waiting, I urge you to light a fire under your guide and/or anyone within Rivian who might be able to sort this.

P.S. appreciate that many have got their cover and are very happy :)
Continuing to complain isn’t going to do anything. Obviously Rivian has zero control over their vendor/supplier. If you “need” or want a tonneau cover immediately, there are hard and soft options available through other providers which are just as good and cost less. You can demand a refund from Rivian but they will take 8-12 weeks to send you the check…..but they will….

Sponsored

CoalCreek

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Performance Max Pack)
I believe they have separate stock for ordered trucks and already sold trucks vs the gear shop. I'm picking up my R1T Monday at the Denver SC and I was pre-ordered with he $800 manual cover. I'll let you know if it is with the truck after I pick it up.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I got the email today that mine shipped. Window was supposed to be 12/18 - 12/23, estimated delivery is 12/13. Ordered with truck back in 2021.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

last month Rivian quietly announced a shuffling of their leadership team with RJ becoming chief product officer along with CEO. makes you wonder if the shitshow with tonneaus, camp kitchen, and other products lead to him being fed up. or more likely he wants to make sure the R2 its a homerun, which it needs to be for Rivian to survive long term. whatever the reason, hopefully we'll start to see improvements across the board.

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Send me an email or a DM. It’s not a problem if you’d like to cancel your order.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
My manual cover that I paid for with my truck purchase back in July was (finally) delivered 12/11. I haven't been home yet to open it, am looking forward to it. Really could have used it a couple months ago.
Sponsored