Sponsored

Outdoor Home Charger Installation?

gvtucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So we're going to install a wall charger at our beach house, and there really aren't great indoor options.​
Are we making a big mistake if we install the charger outside? It isn't ideal in general, I know, and the beach environment is much harsher on most everything. I am worried that we'll just have to install a new one in a couple of years after the beach air eats this one.​
Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
I've had a Tesla wall connector hooked up on the side of my house for 4 years now and it's been through rain, snow, and constant sun without any issues. Not exactly a beach house, but 1 mile from the salt water coast.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Make sure you get one rated for exterior install, and UL listed. You should be fine.

I *don't* recommend Enel-X JuiceBox any more, not because they aren't outdoor-capable, but because the company is ruining the app, making them a pain to manage.

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
Make sure you get one rated for exterior install, and UL listed. You should be fine.

I *don't* recommend Enel-X JuiceBox any more, not because they aren't outdoor-capable, but because the company is ruining the app, making them a pain to manage.
Honestly I don't understand why one needs an app for a charger when all the timing functions is handled in the car. Been that way for me in my Leaf since 2011. Does Rivian not have charging timers in the car?

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus 48amp and am happy with the wifi/smart capabilities such as scheduling as well as adjusting the amperage. I believe Rivian will add this capability in the app in the future, but having this adjustability with the charger app has been a benefit.

It is NEMA-4 rated so good to go for outdoor usage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
We have the clipper creek installed outdoors at the coast. Works great and there is no need for any internet connection. Just don’t use the lock they provide. That oxidized in less than a month!

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I’ve had my Rivian charger outdoors for over a year now with no issues. Granted, I am not at the beach. I am in upstate New York.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Charge point CH-50 installed outside. It’s outdoor rated an works even when covered by a foot of snow. The cord stays flexible in the cold, vs some other brands.

I don’t have a choice as the R1T won’t fit in the garage (and the door won’t close on the cable). It works fine.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I have the Autel maxicharger and it has great weather proofing. If really worried, buy it on Amazon (buy it there anyway) and purchase an extra protection plan for it.

You could also buy a Rubbermaid cabinet or equivalent to install it in on the house for extra protection. You would be surprised how many things are not damaged by water or salt water, but by uv exposure even though they put lots of inhibitors in them.

Also might want to get one (like the Autel) that lets you lock it from the app so there's no unauthorized use. And also let you do scheduling share it with family and friends with a code or the app get alerts etc. All these features could come in handy since it's going to be at your vacation home.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Honestly I don't understand why one needs an app for a charger when all the timing functions is handled in the car. Been that way for me in my Leaf since 2011. Does Rivian not have charging timers in the car?
I use two EVSEs load-shared to charge three EVs, one of which doesn't have any method of charge timer. And they're linked to my electric utility so they can adjust my charge timing during times of peak demand. (Plus they provide energy reporting.)

I bought JuiceBoxes because they supported load sharing. One of the things with their "new" app is that it has *ZERO* means of managing the load sharing settings. I've had the EVSEs lose their load sharing configuration more than once - so if they ever completely disable the old app/web-app, I'll have no way of re-enabling load sharing. The day they turn off the old web-app is the day I replace them. (They said they were going to disable the old app/web-app a couple months ago, but they never have.)
Sponsored