Sponsored

Poll: Should Rivian offer Apple CarPlay?

Should Rivian offer Apple CarPlay?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

LaJollaAaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Happy to hear your opinion about whether Rivian should have CarPlay. Mostly I just wanted to poll the membership about appetite for CarPlay. I feel like it is overwhelmingly desired by owners, but I may very well be wrong. Hence my question to you all.
Sponsored

bhlackey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, KTM SX-450F
I don't need CarPlay per-se, but it seems like a logical way of getting the features that people want. Text integration, Apple Music integration, Waze, other apps, etc.

I personally only want apple Music. I don't do Txt, and Rivian Maps are good enough for me. I also have a quick magsafe phone mount for when I want to use apple maps/waze/etc.

richpike

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover D5, Jeep JL, R1S
Maybe add a don't care/impartial? I'd be fine if it had it. But I'm fine without it now too. I used to think it was a must, but once they add some sort of messaging through the existing app, I'll be good.

-Rich

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

IMO, it should be available, even if they paywall it behind the Connect+ subscription. It's not like you're forced to use it if you don't want to. I'm sure plenty of people have never used TuneIn or Tidal but no one complains about them being there.

Sponsored

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Every crap rental car I get has carplay makes it feel mundane and boring. I like the Rivian set up better with the Alexa integration I do wish we had voice to text that's the only thing i'm missing.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I voted no, I'd rather have Android Auto integration :)

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I would like to see Apple CarPlay added as an option. I have several comments about the poll, though.

First, I think the poll needs to be about optional screen projection (Android Auto and Apple CarPlay) and not CarPlay only. So many people seem to think that CP or screen projection in general will require them to use the system when that is not true.

Next, I don’t think this poll will accomplish anything other than spark more argument on here rather than rational discussion.

I’ve proposed making screen projection a paid option in the past since many people are afraid that Rivian will stop development on the native system and apps because of the resources spent on screen projection. Something else for folks to consider is that we don’t know how long Rivian will continue to update Gen 1 vehicle software. I hope that at a bare minimum the final update for a hardware platform they no longer plan to support will include an option to buy screen projection capability to prolong the useful life of the hardware by leveraging the smart phone connected to it.

Finally, this really brings out what I consider to be an ugly aspect of some people’s personality: Person A arguing against other people (group B) gaining something which person A already has and which will not negatively affect Person A. Is this merely because Person A already has what they want so group B should just shut up and accept it? That’s just speculation about one possible reason. I don’t understand the motivation for arguing against adding features or choices when the addition doesn’t come at the cost of existing features or choices.

This person A trying to prevent improvement for group B behavior extends to much bigger issues than screen projection, and I’m staying out of examples to steer well clear of politics. I’ll just say that as someone who belongs to multiple group B classes in life, I am sick of the lack of empathy exhibited by some people. If it brings you joy to see other people prevented from getting things they need or want in their lives then it might be beneficial for you to figure out why that is.

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S Performance Dual Motor Standard+
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

More Music apps and better phone/Text integration is all we need. Your data is too valuable for Rivian to just give us Carplay or Andriod auto access. It's all about data.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
OK...Rant on...Why is CarPlay asked about evert .25 days? RJ has said at multiple times that CP/AA are not on the horizon and Rivian has no plans to introduce it. You knew that when you bought the car.

Rant off, now back yo your regularly-scheduled forum. :rock:

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
I agree with and prefer the option of generic screen projection (like Miracast) that is agnostic of device and OS used. We have both Android and Iphone in family.
Sponsored