OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Seems like a design oversight that they didn't think about how to replace the blade while it's mounted on the vehicle. That being said, I don't think there is any reason to "jerk" it, I was able to unlatch the blade pretty easily by turning it like the above video, but there just isn't enough clearance to turn it enough and free it from the arm.
If it works for you great but this is how we handled it at the service shop. So not trying to argue with anyone about it.
Seems like a design oversight that they didn't think about how to replace the blade while it's mounted on the vehicle. That being said, I don't think there is any reason to "jerk" it, I was able to unlatch the blade pretty easily by turning it like the above video, but there just isn't enough clearance to turn it enough and free it from the arm.
Jerk is all in the eye of the beholder. His point was a very firm pull to free the replaceable arm from the blade holder. So it's not a scientific term.
Sponsored

Ccomtois

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150
Occupation
Patient Rivian Pre-Order Holder
Wish me luck... as I plan to attempt said 'jerk' operation today to change my wiper blade. ;-)

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
I just replaced mine. The plastic cover is easy to snap off (and snap back at the end). The locking nut is also easy. I had to wiggle / pull the unit off the screw. The hardest part is getting the old wiper off the arm. The 'jerk' to get the wiper to separate / turn initially wasn't too bad (or too big a 'jerk') so I got it turned, but then getting it off the arm - that's where I failed. I learned it's more fragile than the fronts.... Not sure how, but I manage to snap part of the plastic mounting on the arm. Then the blade came off... fortunately it was a clean break and, some superglue and I had it back. I was then able to get the new blade back on, and then reversed the process. So be very careful getting the blade off the arm.

fwiw - this trico one did fit perfectly, and the arm looked identical.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HBHF0KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP

rso544

First Name
RS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Sorry that happened. Yeah what the tech did was hold it in the center at his midsection and rapidly pushed with right hand holding the replaceable arm side and pull with the left hand holding the fixed arm. He made a swift snap motion and it was off.

Just a wild and bizarre thing they’ve come up with. Good to know about Trico I wasn’t 100% sure on that so thanks for clarifying.

Sponsored

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
Actually I was able to replace the blade without removing the arm. I pressed the blade to the window with one hand and used the other hand to pull the arm really hard.
Here's a video:
I would not recommend this. From what I saw last time I looked at it, the blade is supposed to be at a 90 degree angle to the arm to be fully released properly. Pretty good chance of breaking something this way.
Sponsored