Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke

fr4c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y, Model 3
Occupation
Potato Farmer
I'm going to go on a limb here and say Rivians design was bound to a budget, inclusive of profit, set by the pre-march pricepoint. That amounts to a $1480cdn difference compared to todays config.

If I'm honest, it makes the @Bf3 solution look first party. I had a couple hesitations however, first was the remaining short piece at the cab end of the stack, and the potential for a better Rivian OEM solution.

I learned a valuable lesson. Never doubt the forum and it's members.

https://interrobang.store/products/tonneau-tableau-deposit
Yeah at this point, will probably just pick up BF3's version. Cheaper and looks to be able to take a beating. Add to that, who knows when Rivian will make the cover available on the gear shop (assuming they don't release a revised version seeing these are arriving broken during shipping).
Sponsored

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Maybe some can touch base with @Bf3 and see if he can give us a delrin (or something similar) upgrade to that OEM plastic
Yikes. Iā€™m a bit baffled by their choice to make the ends so delicate. I could probably make replacement parts if I had a Rivian tonneau to check outā€¦ but I donā€™t really see myself spending the $1800 onā€¦thatā€¦šŸ˜¬

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

another possible WTF moment for Rivian and its tonneau? bruh...

you're not the first to have this issue. they built an off-road/street beast EV and they can't design a powered or manual tonneau? all this time and the price point they're selling it at? smh...

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Rivian accessoriesā€¦

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Isn't there many different types of impact resistance plastics available they could have used? Hope with the heat that plastic doesn't become even more brittle.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Wow over a year in design phase and you got some dog shit plastic on those things. Isn't that tonneau a pretty penny as well? Some guy with a Home Depot run and a hundred bucks made a more durable tonneau than that on here. I'm so glad my power one still works but I'm worried that if and when it breaks I'm gonna be stuck with a replacement that's worse than what I have if this is anything to go by.
EXACTLY THIS. People have been waiting for how long for these things?

Aren't the slats in a padded case? If your UPS driver was tossing this thing around, the box would have told the story.

This is really, and I mean, really disappointing. If the plastic is that vulnerable, how safe are those slats on the truck? If someone puts any pressure on them, do they just crumble?

Wow. Just wow.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hard to tell from the photo, but the aluminum looks a little bent/creased in at least one of the photos. Kind of looks like someone probably used the package as a step to reach something else.
Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 1691527851949

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The early price was $800, but now I think it's double that. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $1500 for that.
I'd be pretty pissed at 800. You can get an after market tri fold for less that won't actually break.

AlphaTango

First Name
Tobias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yesh, whatā€™s the return policy? Might just cancel them before they are delivered and save myself the headache

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Well, hopefully a 3rd party now can just copy them with a better material.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'd be pretty pissed at 800. You can get an after market tri fold for less that won't actually break.
Yeah, I have to agree. After seeing how they used that cheap plastic I would have purchased the interrobang cover instead. That is a very sturdy design. Expected better after this much time. šŸ˜•

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
sadly it seems apropos for Rivian's idea of a tonneau

Reactions: Rad

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Isn't there many different types of impact resistance plastics available they could have used? Hope with the heat that plastic doesn't become even more brittle.
Yes, they could have used a number of impact resistant plastics over that stuff.
It's the winter cold that you have to worry about - it will turn brittle plastics into glass...

I really wanted the Rivian cover at $800 but when they upped it to $1800 I went for the Interrobang cover and it's SOLID.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Far be it from me to throw stones, but for the price they are charging for that, I would have expected more. Perhaps the same team that designed the power cover designed that?
Sponsored