First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Looks like the first little bit of Sierra Cement Snow that hits that thing and it'll disintegrate.

So glad I didn't wait around for that $1800 option! In addition to the cover listed above, I went with Agricover Lomax six weeks ago and have really liked it. You can get it in a number of different finishes. This cover is rated to hold up to 400lbs of distributed weight and connects and disconnects in a manner of minutes.
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Well, hopefully a 3rd party now can just copy them with a better material.
I'd say entirely of moulded ABS plastic with integrated ribs underneath for structural rigidity. Similar to ABS dolley platforms and portable work benches. Strong enough to support static weight, flexible enough to bend and absorb impact. The panels could butt up against one another with lap joints and weather stripping gaskets.

Last edited:

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Yikes. What do you think the chances are on getting a refund on one that has already been paid for but not delivered?

I had expected much better for the price point they're asking.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Hard to tell from the photo, but the aluminum looks a little bent/creased in at least one of the photos. Kind of looks like someone probably used the package as a step to reach something else.
1691527851949.png
Maybe you are right - but just look at that plastic. It looks thin and flimsy. It absolutely does not inspire confidence.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Current price is actually $1800. Definitely a poor value.
Based on what we've seen thus far - and I admit it is a very small sample - I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred dollars for these slats. I mean, $1800?

People have cut fencing material that looks twice as solid as these slats.

If we hadn't waited, literally, years, and Rivian hadn't jacked the price up to an absurd amount, I wouldn't be so annoyed. Of course, I have delayed my R1T for the power tonneau and I hope this doesn't reflect on the quality of the redesign of that....

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is really disappointing and disturbing. This is the best they could do, especially after all the bad publicity so far regarding the tonneau? Friggin' LEGO BRICKS are better designed!

I'm stunned that an engineer/designer would think this is going to hold up to normal use, let alone a bit of abuse. It makes me wonder if they even did a design review and durability testing?

It's hard to tell from the picture, but this looks to be 2 or 3 mm thick? I'm no product designer by any stretch, but I have done enough with Fusion 360 and printed a fair amount of 3D stuff (including one item which is actually sold in low volume for daily use) to know that this is a poor design. With the assumption that the area is not needed to be hollow, the area between the ribs should have additional material in a crosshatch pattern, in 3D printing it's known as infill, see the 2nd picture.

I hate to say it, but Rivian could learn from GM on this. My Avalanche bed panels have been dropped and handled carelessly more than once and have held up perfectly. I guarantee these Rivian panels would be destroyed if handled the way I handle the Avalanche panels. WTF Rivian?

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 1691538043494

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 1691538926950

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Just got and installed my tonneau, luckily no broken pieces for me. I generally like it, but yea barely worth $800, 1000% not worth $1800. I guarantee those plastic pieces will start to break on people quick.

I don't know if Rivian had more dedicated designers in the initial concept phase or what, but the tonneau situation is really shocking.

I feel like Rivian said "People will only take these out twice a year, so we can cheapen out on the materials"

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

Just got and installed my tonneau, luckily no broken pieces for me. I generally like it, but yea barely worth $800, 1000% not worth $1800. I guarantee those plastic pieces will start to break on people quick.

I don't know if Rivian had more dedicated designers in the initial concept phase or what, but the tonneau situation is really shocking.

I feel like Rivian said "People will only take these out twice a year, so we can cheapen out on the materials"
definitely disappointing to hear being forced to use it twice a year so the darn thing doesn’t break 🙄🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
This is really disappointing and disturbing. This is the best they could do, especially after all the bad publicity so far regarding the tonneau? Friggin' LEGO BRICKS are better designed!

I'm stunned that an engineer/designer would think this is going to hold up to normal use, let alone a bit of abuse. It makes me wonder if they even did a design review and durability testing?

It's hard to tell from the picture, but this looks to be 2 or 3 mm thick? I'm no product designer by any stretch, but I have done enough with Fusion 360 and printed a fair amount of 3D stuff (including one item which is actually sold in low volume for daily use) to know that this is a poor design. With the assumption that the area is not needed to be hollow, the area between the ribs should have additional material in a crosshatch pattern, in 3D printing it's known as infill, see the 2nd picture.

I hate to say it, but Rivian could learn from GM on this. My Avalanche bed panels have been dropped and handled carelessly more than once and have held up perfectly. I guarantee these Rivian panels would be destroyed if handled the way I handle the Avalanche panels. WTF Rivian?

1691538043494.png

1691538926950.png
I wonder, can the space be filled (by the owner) and maintain proper function. I'd consider a little modification if it increased longevity. Of course modification might void warranty, so it might have to wait.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder, can the space be filled (by the owner) and maintain proper function. I'd consider a little modification if it increased longevity. Of course modification might void warranty, so it might have to wait.
That's a good thought!

One possible way to strengthen it would be to fill/solidify that cavity with epoxy/adhesive, or a metal rod embedded in epoxy/adhesive, which would make that area stronger, but that may not improve the plastic to aluminum attachment. Some experimentation would be needed to determine what type of adhesive will work with the plastic they used. Ideally, there is a plastic type mark on the part which would help. That is supposed to be done for recycling but it's often not done.

Unfortunately, with these pictures, it's hard to tell how the attachment between the plastic piece and the aluminum slat is actually made. It looks like maybe a groove in the aluminum and the plastic slides into the groove? Strengthening the cavity would transfer the stress to the plastic/aluminum attachment point, hopefully it is strong enough.

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 1691545060315

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 1691545075914

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

if its as brittle as it looks, it falls under a list of other things that Rivian did not design robust enough for a truck/adventure vehicle. things like the powered tonneau, body panels which are too thin and flex too much, the hood - same deal, the covers for the storage area in the gear tunnel doors, the glass roof, the charge port door, the tailgate cap... im sure theres others i cant think of off the top of my head.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
Wow. I was kinda pissed about the manual tonneau debacle from Rivian (as a second owner, they have not confirmed if I will receive the manual tonneau…) and ended up buying the AgriCover LoMax.

After seeing this, I’m glad I went with the Lomax

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I assume these come with the standard warranty? So like everyone says....submit a ticket and maybe Rivian will revise in a few years and get you replacements like they are doing with the powered covers. Early adopter stuff like everyone says all the time.
Sponsored