Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The Reddit Rivian Responds this week has some mildly interesting updates I thought were worth sharing. For those who don't know, Rivian provides some direct answers to questions every couple of weeks over on Reddit, so these aren't rumors, but real answers from the company.

• RJ promised that dashcam functionality was coming early this year, but we still don't have it. Do you have an update for us?
    • We're in final user testing for dash cam functionality in R1T and R1S. We can confidently say it's coming soon!
  • When are streaming video services going to be added? Would be really great to have while charging.
    • We can confirm this is on the roadmap but don't have any additional details on timing to share for now.
  • My tonneau is still broken. Any progress on the powered tonneau cover fix?
    • We’re actively testing a potential solution for customers experiencing issues with their powered tonneau cover. Once field testing is complete, we’ll be able to share a timeline for R1Ts on the road today that are equipped with powered tonneau covers and need the fix.
    • The updated design addresses subcomponent design issues and improves the tonneau cover's robustness against manufacturing build variations. You can expect the look and function of this new design to be the same.
    • It’s also important to call out that the updated design we’re testing is meant to resolve issues for existing R1T owners who took delivery of a truck with a powered tonneau. No date has been set for when the powered tonneau cover will be reintroduced as a configurable option for future owners.
  • What's being done to address this vampire drain? There's been quite a bit of sleuthing across the socials, specifically this. I've also confirmed the same on my own. Seems like there's some further optimizations needed on turning off errant processes when the vehicle is supposed to be in sleep mode.
    • This is one of our team's highest priorities and we continue to roll out optimizations and fixes for outlier cases of abnormal battery drain in OTA software releases. We roll out these updates incrementally so that we can track progress and avoid any unintended vehicle behavior.
  • Will you offer the wristband in the Rivian shop? We want the wristband!
    • Currently, the Key Band comes standard with Launch Edition R1T and R1S. We have no plans to offer the Key Band for separate purchase through Gear Shop.
    • We’ve made sure internal teams know that there’s demand for this kind of vehicle access from the community!
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
We’re actively testing a potential solution for customers experiencing issues with their powered tonneau cover.

I'm not experiencing issues... maybe because I rarely use the powered tonneau. I hope the fix is rolled out universally to all existing R1Ts with the powered tonneau, regardless of working state.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I used my tonneau one time....and it didn't sound good....so leaving closed until they are actually rolling out the fix....in regards to battery drain.....not seeing it anymore when temps are above 70. (GG on away only, Bluetooth off on phone, truck not plugged in at home)

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
  • When are streaming video services going to be added? Would be really great to have while charging.
    • We can confirm this is on the roadmap but don't have any additional details on timing to share for now.
    • Currently, the Key Band comes standard with Launch Edition R1T and R1S. We have no plans to offer the Key Band for separate purchase through Gear Shop.
    • We’ve made sure internal teams know that there’s demand for this kind of vehicle access from the community!
Streaming video would be great, for sure. I've always wondered if something like Airplay would be possible, while the car is in park, of course. Could put the charging info on the driver display and go full-screen Airplay on the main display.

It won't ever make sense for offline viewing for video, but can someone active on reddit also keep bugging them about "offline" music for extended periods in cell dead zones? Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc. all allow downloading playlists. We really need that for the built-in apps so we don't have to use bluetooth for it.

On the key band: this is such a strange thing. Is it just that there isn't a viable vendor for it outside of a very limited run? However, I'll forgive them if they deliver Apple and Google Watch as key functionality, ideally using the NFC rather than bluetooth.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Agreed. The wristband should be an Easy Button item. But I can live without it. I do want my tonneau to work. It has been disabled since delivery day 5 months ago. Would be a great feature if they ever reintroduce it again, but in any case I am happy to be one of the 10,000 or so who have one. I just need it to work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
We’re actively testing a potential solution for customers experiencing issues with their powered tonneau cover.

I'm not experiencing issues... maybe because I rarely use the powered tonneau. I hope the fix is rolled out universally to all existing R1Ts with the powered tonneau, regardless of working state.
I'm pretty sure that in the email a while back they said they'd be updating all existing power tonneaus with the new version. I'm still counting on that. I'm sure they'll start with the ones that are currently not working though.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It's annoying that the powered tonneau issue is still ongoing with no ETRO provided. I see it as an early adopter issue that comes with the territory and worth the early adopter pricing.

That said, the mitigating factor of still having no info or even a picture of the manual tonneau seems ridiculous at this point.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Big shift from all the existing tonneu will get new design to we are testing some beefed up parts and if yours fails, someday we will fix it. At least till warranty expires. Big departure from what was said before.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I feel naked without a dashcam which is why I've already self-installed my front and rear Viofo A139 Pro 4K utilizing the front under dash 12V port. While I certainly welcome the Rivian on-board dash cam, I'm quasi-skeptical that the quality of the video Rivian will capture will come close to an aftermarket cam and be able to make out details/license plates, etc., given the degree of fish-eye and what I'm seeing on captured front/rear Gear Guard video. The redundancy will be great, especially for side-view, but I doubt I'll be uninstalling my aftermarket cam.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I still suspect the powered tonneau option is dead. I think they'll try to offer this fix for the existing customers or maybe a retrofit to the manual cover, but I don't think they'll offer it again on new R1Ts. I just think it's always going to be prone to issues from dirt and debris getting in there. My tonneau still works but I have to make sure it's free of leaves and dirt before I retract it and use a monthly maintenance procedure of dry lubrication.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I see it as an early adopter issue that comes with the territory and worth the early adopter pricing.
This. My Rivian isn't my first "early production vehicle by a brand new manufacturer", so I fully expected issues like this. To me, the more annoying thing is the turning of RAN into a paid network when so few people have had a chance to use them. If anything, they should make the "urban" ones paid, since they're starting to roll more out near large cities, while keeping the "remote" ones free-for-now. Expand the network more, ship more vehicles, show people that their network is *GREAT* for "off the interstates" trips. But if they start charging for it too soon (especially if they go for Tesla-style higher pricing,) people will just skip them and not see the benefit.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

This latest communication certainly makes it sound like the PTC won't be coming back to new R1Ts anytime soon. This is unfortunate news for everyone holding off on their deliveries waiting for the PTC to return.

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

lolwut???

The design and manufacturing of this product is already done, just sell the damn thing lol. I'd rather have the key band more so than a stuffed gear guard yeti thing.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I'm pretty sure that in the email a while back they said they'd be updating all existing power tonneaus with the new version. I'm still counting on that. I'm sure they'll start with the ones that are currently not working though.
Yes, I remember that and I'm expecting a replacement. I generally think at the end of the day Rivian will do the right thing. I guess I would have rather they said something like "We're actively testing a potential solution and will replace all tonneau covers..." rather than what was said that seems to back pedal a bit.