SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Rivian's service model is terrible. They just can't seem to get their crap together. They may be using some self-invented computer program to manage their service appointments and service regimen. They have created a service debacle worse than any of the franchise auto dealers. They come up with something much better. When R2's hit the road, service appointments will be two years out.

We have had our R1T for about fifteen months. Fortunately, we have not needed any service. We hope that our luck holds until we can get our hands on a Silverado EV RST.

Brian
Sponsored

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Rivian's service model is terrible. They just can't seem to get their crap together. They may be using some self-invented computer program to manage their service appointments and service regimen. They have created a service debacle worse than any of the franchise auto dealers. They come up with something much better. When R2's hit the road, service appointments will be two years out.

We have had our R1T for about fifteen months. Fortunately, we have not needed any service. We hope that our luck holds until we can get our hands on a Silverado EV RST.

Brian
You are going to trade in your R1T for the Silverado?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

You are going to trade in your R1T for the Silverado?
That will most likely be my move over the next year or so if Rivian can't get their stuff together.

Brian

electricRaptor

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Cloud Architect
OP - this post is primarily why I'm considering going back to ICE. I have been a faithful R1T'er since Aug 2022 when I had my T delivered. I love the truck and have caked on nearly 40k miles in these two years. But the service for menial issues, which can take 5 WEEKS to schedule for something relatively routine, is a major buzzkill. Wheel bearing going out? Likely to cause an accident and bigger claim due to injury? 5 weeks. 2 hours each way to the service center. Something as relatively inexpensive as that, I could have done by Ford, Lexus, etc. at one of three dealers in Tucson in an hour, also under warranty. I may be an early adopter, but may also be an early exiter and come back to the EV fold once the customer success/post-sale situation improves. For now, I'm like many of my corp customers - a churn risk.

Kraphtymac

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure
Clubs

Just chiming in to agree with OP.

We were all in Rivian…. Until we needed our first service. After seeing how that was handled I dumped the R1S as fast as I possibly could.

Strong no thank you to owning a 100k rig with proprietary parts and technology that even the Rivian SC (which is over 3 hours away) doesn’t seem to know how to fix.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Going on day 15 at the Trenton SC. Still no news.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
People kept saying "they can't afford to service at level of legacy or legacy is bad too"....but it seems to me they must be losing sales to this poor service reputation. Needs a complete revamp and be addressed by RJ in a press release that they realize it is bad and will fix it. Even that would probably take a year to accomplish.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Going on day 15 at the Trenton SC. Still no news.
I am at day 24 at Gaithersburg and when I called last Friday and reached them they said they have a free day tomorrow ahead of being closed on Wednesday for Juneteenth. The free day is when no inbound vehicles are scheduled. They “hope” to get to my vehicle then. PA lemon laws are 30 days!

fjn7

First Name
Florin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

I bet their expectation was that early adopters would be very wealthy and have access to multiple vehicles and be less concerned about service.

mikehaas763

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Along with several others, I'm here to say 100% agree. I'm not asking for much. I don't care how long service takes, so long as it's better planned and communicated. Just don't have me drop off my vehicle days before it will even get looked at by a tech. Not only does it ruin the customer experience, it unnecessarily costs money (I'm a shareholder) to put me into a brand new Tahoe rental for 6 days for a 5 hour job.

I'm also an early adopter with a launch edition. I've had service in both the Richmond and the Tampa service centers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Along with several others, I'm here to say 100% agree. I'm not asking for much. I don't care how long service takes, so long as it's better planned and communicated. Just don't have me drop off my vehicle days before it will even get looked at by a tech. Not only does it ruin the customer experience, it unnecessarily costs money (I'm a shareholder) to put me into a brand new Tahoe rental for 6 days for a 5 hour job.

I'm also an early adopter with a launch edition. I've had service in both the Richmond and the Tampa service centers.
Could be worse. I’m beginning my third week in a Chrysler minivan.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I've been in new home construction for 35 years. I think they have two issues I've seen in new construction. Number one scheduling. They either have no proper scheduling tools or they have a bunch of tools operating it who don't have a clue. We had superintendents who just ran from one fire to the next. Always a fireman. Never a policeman. Secondly, they have too many new car issues. The factory production team left too many things for customer service to finish off. Those items will get micromanaged and inspected by the owner because they stand out so bad. Additionally they have no concept of the 1 in 10 rule. One in ten customers is going to be impossible to deal with and suck up enormous amounts of your time. Nothing will ever be good enough for them.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
What I find interesting is we the owners are giving Rivian exactly what they need to do to temporarily fix service and it has nothing to do with opening more facilities at least at this time. Eventually that will need to occur. We are pretty much together in that we want a status on our vehicle often when it is in the shop. If that means you have to hire a person per service center to actually inform us as to what you are doing then do it and do it now. The second want we have is find a few people that actually understand scheduling and triage. If I have bad 12 vbatteries and dead in the water get me in that day if possible and replace the batteries, for the more complicated issues like suspension or drivetrain either give me the date you might actually be able to begin working on the vehicle and allow me to bring mine in a day or so before that date so my vehicle does not sit outside for weeks unprotected in some lot. Would save Rivian thousands in rental vehicles and it’s a fact, none of us purchased a Rivian to be stuck with a dirty fuel rental vehicle. And finally if I am bringing my vehicle in for panel alignment or paint issues ( whole other issue as to why these escape factory QA) schedule my vehicle directly with a body shop so I don't waste time dropping off at a service center and then learning my vehicle has been relocated to a body shop. Come on guys it’s service 101 not rocket science and we supplying you with a short term immediate solution that saves you money and increase owner satisfaction.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
So no responses from anyone on this simple no cost plan

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23R1S(DM,Max); '23R1T(QM,Lg); '23 & '19 Bolts
So no responses from anyone on this simple no cost plan
It's not "no cost," @SparkyR1t, but I believe it would be cost effective.

A bright young person or savvy retiree, with a dedicated mobile phone for maybe 6 hours a day, and maybe two hours for reports, staff meetings, and talks with managers, would probably cost $50-60K/year per service center. Companywide, that's not sofa change.

But the value of that person, to owner morale and staff morale, would be immense!

I hope Rivian has spies on this forum -- a great source of solutions for other owners and for Rivian.

Very best wishes!
Sponsored