Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I had my R1S serviced in Eastvale, CA and one of my complaints was constant waking every 2ish hrs for 45min-1hr (GG, etc off) and was originally seeing about 2-3% drain, but subsequent drain after recent FW dropped to 1ish% -- confirmed using Electrafi. They diagnosed and found that the 12V battery kept dropping to 11V -- my build has only one 12V battery. They replaced the 12V battery and am now seeing the vehicle sleep for 6ish hrs and wake for an hour. Initial drain is now showing 0.7%, definitely improved. I suspect that my 12V battery was on its way out. Sucks for a vehicle that is 8mo old.

Glad I had the data to prove to them that something was wrong and they didn't fight me on it. I'd say for anyone that is seeing short sleep cycles to report to customer service, you can cite my service experience with the issue.
Was your experience while connected to home WiFi or LTE? I noticed when connected to my home WiFi the vehicle stays awake and transfers a lot of data most of the time.
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Was your experience while connected to home WiFi or LTE? I noticed when connected to my home WiFi the vehicle stays awake and transfers a lot of data most of the time.
I’m connected to WiFi. I can try another test on LTE

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ it's amazing they're still having 12V battery issues 2.5yrs into production 😞

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I’m connected to WiFi. I can try another test on LTE
Forget your home WiFi network and the vehicle will sleep a lot more. At least for me it does. I’m not sure if this is good or bad or perhaps I have a poor LTE connection when parked in my driveway. Just the other day as posted in this thread …

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-and-exit-enhancements-more.25119/post-500044

I turned WiFi on and I forgot to turn it off. When I checked the vehicle I notice it wasn’t sleeping which was odd and realized I left it connected to my home WiFi. I use Google Home and can see it connected and downloading/uploading data.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
^ it's amazing they're still having 12V battery issues 2.5yrs into production 😞
To put it in perspective, the Mach-e LVB is also prone to failing early. Ford uses the LVB when off until it reaches around 40% SoC, and then is supposed to charge it back up from the HVB. But all that cycling down to 40% on a regular basis wears it out.

I head Kia is having a bigger problem with the LVB in their BEVs, with many failing.

Now that these are computers on wheels, always connected and communicating to an external network, it puts a strain on the LVB. It does appear, however, that Rivian calls home a lot more than my Mach-e does. Based on what others have reported here. The vampire drain in my car is basically zero even after weeks. Of course, the LVB sags...

My main point is while I think the HVB vampire drain is a significant issue with the R1, the LVB seems to be handled pretty well compared to the competition. At least based on what I have seen posted in this forum - a very throughout scientific analysis.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Anyone else catch RJ note that they track how often the front hood is opened?
Now we can add not opening doors to the vampire drain reduction list ;)

(I get this is just one data point and the data harvesting is insignificant, especially compared to the power to lift and close the actual hood)

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

My 2023 R1T sat for 4 full days this week so I figured it would be a good test for Vamp. drain.

GG off, Prox off, BT off, Service Mode on, Camp Mode on, never had PAAK enabled on my phone. Did not open phone app during the 4-day sleep. Did not open/unlock vehicle for 4 full days.

4.5kWh lost over 96 hours according to Trip A odometer.

1.1kWh/day which matches what I have been seeing since last fall.
Was your phone within BT range? It will wake the car even with all those settings off unless it is out of range or properly disabled on the phone. I immediately notice for instance if my wife has her BT on and she's in the living room where the car can connect, the car wakes up (but doesn't unlock)

Last edited:

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Forget your home WiFi network and the vehicle will sleep a lot more. At least for me it does. I’m not sure if this is good or bad or perhaps I have a poor LTE connection when parked in my driveway. Just the other day as posted in this thread …

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-and-exit-enhancements-more.25119/post-500044

I turned WiFi on and I forgot to turn it off. When I checked the vehicle I notice it wasn’t sleeping which was odd and realized I left it connected to my home WiFi. I use Google Home and can see it connected and downloading/uploading data.
I've noticed this as well that the car sleeps more with it off. What's nice is the wifi stays off when you turn it off now and doesn't come back on until a reset or update. Even the latest system update was delayed until I turned wifi back on. Double plus!

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
Was your phone within BT range? It will wake the car even with all those settings off unless it is out of range or properly disabled on the phone.
Since one of the updates, I don’t believe this happens for me any longer. I will test it.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
Since one of the updates, I don’t believe this happens for me any longer. I will test it.
I have BT on and within range. It’s not connecting. Only when I launch the app does it make connections to the Key and Sensors.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have BT on and within range. It’s not connecting. Only when I launch the app does it make connections to the Key and Sensors.
The car doesn't give an indication when it's connected usually. It can be connected. It can flash a light as you approach. It can unlock when you are next to it. Under all those situations it can be awake and vampire draining.
So the car shows it's sleeping in sleep mode? How do you know it's in sleep mode without checking in the app? Electrifi?
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 2024-03-18 17.25.14

Last edited:

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
The car doesn't give an indication when it's connected usually. It can be connected. It can flash a light as you approach. It can unlock when you are next to it. Under all those situations it can be awake.
So the car shows it's sleeping in sleep mode? How do you know it's in sleep mode without checking in the app? Electrifi?
2024-03-18 17.25.14.jpg
I check the app to determine if its in sleep mode.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine sat at airport for 15 days and lost 15%. Temps in 40's to 50's.....

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Was your phone within BT range? It will wake the car even with all those settings off unless it is out of range or properly disabled on the phone. I immediately notice for instance if my wife has her BT on and she's in the living room where the car can connect, the car wakes up (but doesn't unlock)
Possibly in range... but I have never set my phone up as a key to operate my R1T and I never opened the app during my 4-day test. I also turn my phone off at night and sometimes don't need to turn it on till 6PM the next day.

I did have BT turned off in the R1T during the test. Are you saying that with the BT turned off in the vehicle GUI bringing a BT phone near the vehicle still wakes it up?

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
Just lost 5 miles yesterday in my garage. Turning off Bluetooth and WiFi for the day. Amazing how frustrating losing .25/day is.
Sponsored