Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I turned ours off the first week. My wife hates it and finds LKA to be borderline dangerous. In some conditions (long boring straight road, wide lanes, sun not in front of you) it can be helpful but it’s kind of a Goldilocks situation.
Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Correct. LKA operates all of the time (when Driver+ is turned off). Driver+ will still keep you in your lane when activated.
Got it, that's what I was hoping would be the case.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
In LA, LKA is almost unusable. Turn it off once you get the R1T :)
Oh yeah, I will for sure. I've had it in plenty of other vehicles and always turn it off. Nice that it remains off when restarted. I had a Bronco and Raptor that did that, but I've had some European cars that always defaulted to on. Those European "off-road" vehicles would also default to the basic street setting when off-roading too. Thank you Mercedes and Land Rover for taking the vehicle out of 4WD and lowering the suspension (on the RR) repeatedly. I know not many people take a G550 or a Range Rover off-road, but those are stupid settings and can be quite dangerous.

Ok, rant over. I'm glad the R1's do not perform the same way.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

So you might have read my posts about LKA in my specific situation. Well, today I turned it off and let me tell you: it made my driving experience so much nicer this morning.

If you have LKA binging and bonging you around and seemingly not understanding where the lanes are, turn it off!

Both ways on my commute are into the sun, and the freeways in socal are generally a mess, and with all the construction there are areas where lane lines were removed, but in the sun the vehicle still things they are there. Either that, or they have changed the material that the road is made out of (concrete to asphalt) that splits a lane of traffic, and the car thinks you are moving lanes.

About 90% of the time the car activated LKA it was reading a false line. I couldn't seem to take an offramp without my blinker on where LKA wouldn't engage.

This morning I turned it off, and it truly brightened my experience. If you're in a similar experience turn it off for just one day and see :).
I turned this off after the first week. I was constantly fighting the steering wheel and now my driving experience is much better.

Sponsored

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Yeah it is disappointing. I would really rather not turn off because I do a lot of Freeway/Hwy driving. If they cannot fix it, maybe enable a MPH mode... Off under 35 MPH, or something.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I turned this off after the first week. I was constantly fighting the steering wheel and now my driving experience is much better.
This was my experience. "fighting the steering wheel" is a good way of putting it. Although it did it's job maybe twice in the span of time I had it on (almost 2 months), about 5 times a day it would engage when it shouldn't, and more than a couple times it did so dangerously.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Both ways on my commute are into the sun
Do you have an issue with an insane sun reflection on your hood? I’ll put the very oversized sun visor down and still get blinded by my hood.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Do you have an issue with an insane sun reflection on your hood? I’ll put the very oversized sun visor down and still get blinded by my hood.
I do. Only at very specific times though and it has been fairly rare. It does suck when it happens because you either are staring directly into the sun or the hood is blinding you- there is no alternative lol.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Turned it off before I ever tried it. Every time I drive my wife's car there are 2 times I have to curse and then press a button: when I come to my first stop and the engine shuts off, and when I make my first lane change and the stupid thing fights to stop me from doing it.

Sponsored

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
I didnt even realize we had LKA. I guess mine was turned off from the start or maybe I turned it off. I generally dont like it and usually turn it off right away anyways.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Turned it off before I ever tried it. Every time I drive my wife's car there are 2 times I have to curse and then press a button: when I come to my first stop and the engine shuts off, and when I make my first lane change and the stupid thing fights to stop me from doing it.
This reminds me- my wife's car has the damn auto engine off thing too, and you have to turn it off each time you get in the car!

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I do. Only at very specific times though and it has been fairly rare. It does suck when it happens because you either are staring directly into the sun or the hood is blinding you- there is no alternative lol.
This is every morning but luckily only on the last leg of my commute to school drop off— just so happens to be when I’m going up a steep hill in Echo Park. I worry about it on road trips etc as I have def driven into the sun a lot on my life.

also regarding the steering wheel nudge, turned that off but I like having the vibrate warning when I veer off. when I did have the nudge on when I first got the truck it was nice to have to get used to its size and the sensors always worked really well on the roads I regularly drive on.

CodeZephyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MX-5, 2019 Porsche Macan
Occupation
Executive
Ours was disabled when we picked it up from the Factory. Our other car has it and I've never found it particularly useful - it usally only goes off when there is a good reason I'm departing my lane - or to remind me that I should probably have signaled...

Long - late night drives on the highway when you're drowsy is probably the only time I'd appreciate it but that's few and far between these days!

Mjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
software engineer
The guide who showed me the car on delivery turned it off for me as soon as we went through the screens... that lets you know just how annoying it is.
Sponsored