Sponsored

Phantom Braking while in Driver+

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Lastnignt with Driver + on and no cars in front of me the truck Phantom braked twice. Is anyone else experiencing this? I’m wondering if I need to fill out a service request since it scares the crap out of you and I’m worried about people behind me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
Only time that I get phantom braking if there's on-street parking (don't even use it in that situation) and if the lane lines are faint going into a curve (it thinks vehicles in the other lane are in my lane).

Otherwise, I don't think I've ever experienced phantom braking - definitely not when there are no cars anywhere around.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Have not ever had phantom braking. I would file a ticket and they should address immediately as a safety concern.

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I’ve seen it brake with adaptive cruise control on in a curve. Thanks I think I’ll be making a service ticket to make sure something isn’t up with the cameras.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

It now slows down for curves in version 42.01. Can't say that's it, but were you approaching a tight curve?

Driver+:
  • Highway Assist now proactively reduces vehicle speed to navigate tight curves more smoothly and safely.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lslick23

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
It now slows down for curves in version 42.01. Can't say that's it, but were you approaching a tight curve?

Driver+:
  • Highway Assist now proactively reduces vehicle speed to navigate tight curves more smoothly and safely.
Nope it was a straight section with no curves for miles. That’s what has me concerned.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 M3P, 2021 Audi SQ5
Occupation
CISO
Clubs

Rivian vehicles aren't excluded from the phantom braking, other brands (1 in particular) just gets mentioned all the time because people have some weird obsession with them.

It's normal to have some level of phantom braking with ADAS systems that rely, in part, on vision. I've had my truck for 5 months and have 14k highway miles on it, mostly all using Driver+. The phantom braking shouldn't be often and it's normally not a hard brake, it's more subtle, kinda like it thought it should brake, then it realizes it's nothing. If you have it regularly and if it's hard braking then I would get it in for service. My 2021 Audi also has phantom braking and so did my 2021 MachE and so does my 2023 M3P.

Most of the time it's caused by shadows from semi trucks, overpasses, large road signs etc. If it's happening in broad daylight with nothing around, then I would also take it in for service. Might just need a camera calibration.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Nope it was a straight section with no curves for miles. That’s what has me concerned.
It’s happened with our Tesla, with our Rivian, with our Volvo EV when we had it. It’s jarring. More jarring with the Rivian because it’s such a huge vehicle on suspension with more travel so the breaking causes the nose to dip more than the other vehicles. It’s annoying but I just expect it now with these driving systems. Be careful you don’t have someone glued to your tail when using drivers + or even regular radar cruise control cause if that (phantom breaking) happens they’re probably gonna slam right into you.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Jakelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I get it all the time on the interstate when passing slow moving Semi trucks, especially in a left curve with the truck in the right lane, me passing on the left. I think the forward looking Rivian system thinks you are about to run into the vehicle in front and it brakes very aggressively. I have grown used to it so when driving certain curvy sections of I-80 in Utah I turn off Highway asset and cruise control or I keep the accelerator down so when it tries to brake I quickly over-ride the system. The braking can be very aggressive depending on the closure rate it senses when passing. My truck has been like his from day one, 9000 miles ago. I think it's a software problem so if enough people complain it might get some priority attention. On very rare occasions I have the problem on a straight road but it always happens at high speeds, greater than about 50MPH, and when passing a slow moving big truck.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

The only similar system I've used is the Tesla autopilot from some years ago. I swore I would never use these systems as it felt twitchier than a twelve year old driving on the freeway. More stressful than just steering it myself.

Well, I have to say that Rivian Driver+ on the freeway has been great. It calculates arcs really well, follows at a comfortable distance without pushing the driver ahead and resumes nicely after lane changes unlike Tesla's "when is it going to do it?" It just feels comfortable to do the change myself and is less work than second guessing and supervising the car. It also releases control back to me very easily or drops into acc.

Maybe the only thing I don't like is if I need to hit the brakes, the Regen Kicks in hard after I feather off the brakes and wants to bring it to a full stop. I feel like there should be some coast and gradual regen coming back in to allow finding the resuming throttle position with your foot. This way you don't look like an idiot stopped on the freeway while everyone is going by. Letting up on the brakes implies "I don't want to stop more." This is akin to letting up on the throttle of a car and it continuing to accelerate.

Ebenflow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've had blue 'ghost' cars appear in front of me during the rain. Brakes then engaged while using Driver+ and no cars around.

Jakelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I was behind a car with a bike hung on a rack that allowed the wheels to spin from the wind blowing through the spokes. My display showed a pedestrian walking just ahead of me. That "stick figure" stayed right there, walking at the same pace, no matter how fast I drove., 0 to 50MPH that stick figure pedestrian was right in front of the Rivian the whole time. I stayed right behind that car for 2 miles because it made me laugh. did not think to take a video with my phone. Next time I will.

HenryThe8th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’ve had phantom braking happen when using adaptive cruise on backroads. My speculation is that the car is “seeing” a mailbox post or a tree or something.

interestingly, I found a section of road in which it has repeated this behavior twice. My next time through I will get a dash cam clip and submit a service ticket.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Yep, on I-35 with no one else around at night. Multiple times on our last trip to Dallas.
Sponsored