Sponsored

Wait.. we really don't need the jack pucks?

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Four pieces of turned aluminum should cost no more than $20 for a set. They don't need chrome, anodized red color, logos, magnets, nor a fancy pouch to hold them. They simply don't need to look good considering they are only used rarely and never seen.

The market (or DIY) will find its way there eventually.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kallisti5

kallisti5

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Four pieces of turned aluminum should cost no more than $20 for a set. They don't need chrome, anodized red color, logos, magnets, nor a fancy pouch to hold them. They simply don't need to look good considering they are only used rarely and never seen.

The market (or DIY) will find its way there eventually.
This is why i'm salty lol. Hell, even $80 for 4 would be a reasonable price with a bunch of markup. The $200 price tag for 4 is what makes me a bit salty.

Sure, it's a $90k truck... but you don't make money by blowing money out your ass at every opportunity.

With all of that said... I bought them because I do need them. Getting screwed is a part of life.

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
This is why i'm salty lol. Hell, even $80 for 4 would be a reasonable price with a bunch of markup. The $200 price tag for 4 is what makes me a bit salty.

Sure, it's a $90k truck... but you don't make money by blowing money out your ass at every opportunity.

With all of that said... I bought them because I do need them. Getting screwed is a part of life.
I'm on the same page as you. Yes I can afford the truck but that does not mean I'm open to frequently shovel cash into my truck. I'm getting close to tire rotation time and I'm just going to go with Discount Tire. I asked my local shop last month and they already had pucks. If I'm ever able to order a spare I'll revisit buying 1 puck as I'll likely get a different jack. Hopefully aftermarket yields some cheaper options. I care less what it looks like long as it is functional and safe.

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Panels have to be removed whether you use jack pucks or not. So that part of the argument has no merit in answering the OP's question.

Using the RIVIAN provided jack with the spare tire kit, it does not need a jacking puck as the top of the jack is setup to work without one. If using a floor jack or any other jack without a post on top of it it, then you should use jack pucks.

In any case, the plastic covers have to be removed to expose the jacking points.
This isn’t quite true. If you are using the pucks, there is a small circle of plastic on the bottom that pops out w/o tools. The opening is the same size as the puck but smaller than the pad on a jack or lift.
If you do not have a puck, you need to remove a larger panel that is attached by multiple screws and maybe adhesive tape. This is what people have been concerned about breaking over time.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager

Yup. I'm not saying vendors shouldn't try to make a buck if there is a market void especially in the early days. I'm just saying that you don't polish up your pucks to display at a car show. They are buried deep in the bowls of your Rivian for 99% of the time. Chrome doesn't enhance their function nor joy of ownership, so why pay for it.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have been looking at R1T/S jack pucks on Amazon. I'm seeing sets of 4 for $114 and a single Megawatt Pro Series puck for $50 or $160 for a set of 4. Is there some reason that I need 4 pucks or is carrying 1 in the truck sufficient?

Brian

OP
OP
kallisti5

kallisti5

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I have been looking at R1T/S jack pucks on Amazon. I'm seeing sets of 4 for $114 and a single Megawatt Pro Series puck for $50 or $160 for a set of 4. Is there some reason that I need 4 pucks or is carrying 1 in the truck sufficient?

Brian
One puck is enough to get by with to do a tire rotation on your own if you have a OEM plastic jack and puck in the back. You'll need two if you don't have the OEM tire change kit.

However, if you want any 3rd party service shops to safely lift your vehicle on a commercial lift, you'll need four to "lend" them. There are some reports that some Discount Tire locations have them... however it isn't all Discount Tire locations.

Going back to my original post... shops can remove some plastic covers to reach a solid frame rail, however the likely hood of these (likely expensive) plastic covers getting broken goes up if you're pulling them off every 5-10k miles.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

So true!

I hate the jacking pucks because they introduce two more potential pivot points, which is dangerous. Used with a floor jack on a nice flat concrete garage floor, this is unlikely to be a problem. But on the side of the road or off road, where the surface can be sloping and/or soft, this could be a huge problem, especially if you’re using a bottle jack. I have the EV Sportline bottle jack & puck in my spare tire kit, but if I ever have to use it I’ll be very careful. Removing the panels and jacking at the control arm will also be considered.

As shown in this thread, Rivians can also be jacked up at the control arms. I’m thinking about doing it this way with my floor jack next time.
Rivian R1T R1S Wait.. we really don't need the jack pucks? IMG_1290

When I got new wheels & tires, I didn‘t have any pucks, but I had read the manual and knew that I could jack up the truck by removing the panels. Before going to the tire shop, I removed the panels at home. When I got to the tire shop, the manager met me in the parking lot asking if I had jacking pucks. I said no, but I’ve removed the panels so you can jack it up like a normal vehicle. He claimed to have been trained about EV’s, and that he was not allowed to jack it up without pucks, because there are wires & hydraulic lines in the area that could be damaged. I knew this wasn’t true because I’d just been under the truck looking at the exposed frame. But he wouldn’t even look & refused to install my wheels. So I did it myself at home, without any issues, and won’t return to that tire shop again.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

So true!

I hate the jacking pucks because they introduce two more potential pivot points, which is dangerous. Used with a floor jack on a nice flat concrete garage floor, this is unlikely to be a problem. But on the side of the road or off road, where the surface can be sloping and/or soft, this could be a huge problem, especially if you’re using a bottle jack. I have the EV Sportline bottle jack & puck in my spare tire kit, but if I ever have to use it I’ll be very careful. Removing the panels and jacking at the control arm will also be considered.

As shown in this thread, Rivians can also be jacked up at the control arms. I’m thinking about doing it this way with my floor jack next time.
IMG_1290.jpeg

When I got new wheels & tires, I didn‘t have any pucks, but I had read the manual and knew that I could jack up the truck by removing the panels. Before going to the tire shop, I removed the panels at home. When I got to the tire shop, the manager met me in the parking lot asking if I had jacking pucks. I said no, but I’ve removed the panels so you can jack it up like a normal vehicle. He claimed to have been trained about EV’s, and that he was not allowed to jack it up without pucks, because there are wires & hydraulic lines in the area that could be damaged. I knew this wasn’t true because I’d just been under the truck looking at the exposed frame. But he wouldn’t even look & refused to install my wheels. So I did it myself at home, without any issues, and won’t return to that tire shop again.
Thank you. This was my next reply. You beat me to it! LOL. Tire shops I've been to have just used the lower control arms to jack it up. Much easier. In fact, I do the same when Jacking up my truck at home. Again, much easier. Depending on the lift at the tire shop, they might only be able to do one end at a time, either both fronts or both rears. In either case, they don't need pucks. I simply educate them on how to jack it up and so far, each place has done it successfully.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thanks for the explanation on the needing 4 jack pucks. I will be ordering a set soon.

Brian

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Just call ahead to the tire center you want to use. Many of them have their own pucks at this point. Just be sure to tell them what your vehicle is because they may have Tesla pucks and many of those are not compatible. Even if they don't have them, they may opt to buy their own if they know you'll be coming back.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You baller, you!
Not really man but expensive vehicles are expensive. You don’t buy a Rivian trying to pinch pennies. You can get something capable for 20-30 less than the pre March people even let alone current pricing.

It’s like the dudes who buy a Bentley then skip all the service appointments until the car breaks then have to have it sit there because with their monthly payment on it they can’t afford to fix it. If you want a bargain get one, but Rivian ain’t it.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Not really man but expensive vehicles are expensive. You don’t buy a Rivian trying to pinch pennies. You can get something capable for 20-30 less than the pre March people even let alone current pricing.

It’s like the dudes who buy a Bentley then skip all the service appointments until the car breaks then have to have it sit there because with their monthly payment on it they can’t afford to fix it. If you want a bargain get one, but Rivian ain’t it.
It was tongue in cheek mate. I agree with you. There are always going to be incidental when buying cars. Take for xample the $45k picnic basket with the Rolls.
Sponsored