Sponsored

Wait.. we really don't need the jack pucks?

kallisti5

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The jack pucks are handy, but man they're expensive.. anyone notice that there's a panel that pulls off with 4 bolts around the jack points to access the frame for lifting?

https://rivian.com/support/article/r1-tire-service-guide (page 15)

I was dreading turning my R1T over to generic service shops for tire rotations, etc and thinking about pre-installing the jack pucks before anyone lifts my R1T to make sure they don't break the plastic on the bottom.

Given the high cost... maybe we should be just removing those panels before getting any 3rd party service done... seems a lot cheaper than spending almost $200 on jack pucks.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

No you don't 'need' the jack pucks, I did my first tire rotation this way. It just takes more work and also some of the clips on those panels may not be up to repeated removal.

If cost is really the issue get some of the cheap ones on Amazon etc. Also you don't really need 4 of them.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

It just takes more work and also some of the clips on those panels may not be up to repeated removal.
After seeing how many of those clips broke on my previous car over the years, I was more than happy to buy the jack-pucks if just to protect the mounting clips.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Jack pucks are a small expense in the grand scheme of things. They were an easy choice, for me.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Yes, the panels can be removed to access the lift points, but repeated removal of those plastic pieces will eventually result in tabs being broken. Take that into consideration. The plastic isn't cheap either.

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I removed the panels for my first winter tire swap, it wasn't terrible but I didn't want to do it all the time. I broke one clip in the process. You have to be more delicate than I trust tire shops. The frame is too high for the standard jacks discount tire uses so they had to use some extra thick foam blocks. I am going to try to use shops with the pucks moving forward since discount tire is starting to use them.

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

You can remove the panels yourself and save the cost. But as everyone said you may eventually break them.
I’ve had a shop explicitly tell me that they would not remove it (for fear of breaking it) so plan on doing that yourself.
I just got a set of pucks. Easy for the shop to use them. Rivian is not the only vehicle to need them.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Panels have to be removed whether you use jack pucks or not. So that part of the argument has no merit in answering the OP's question.

Using the RIVIAN provided jack with the spare tire kit, it does not need a jacking puck as the top of the jack is setup to work without one. If using a floor jack or any other jack without a post on top of it it, then you should use jack pucks.

In any case, the plastic covers have to be removed to expose the jacking points.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Panels have to be removed whether you use jack pucks or not. So that part of the argument has no merit in answering the OP's question.

Using the RIVIAN provided jack with the spare tire kit, it does not need a jacking puck as the top of the jack is setup to work without one. If using a floor jack or any other jack without a post on top of it it, then you should use jack pucks.

In any case, the plastic covers have to be removed to expose the jacking points.
This is all contrary to what the owners guide instructs for changing a tire. Refer to page 233 of the guide. You just open the jack adapter ports (leaving panels in place) and you use the jack adapter with the OEM jack. You also use the jack base if working on the rears.

the instructions to remove the panels are for using a lift - and if you don’t have 4 adapters of course.