Sponsored

What do you want addressed in the next OTA update?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I'm not in my truck right now, but isn't this how it already works when listening to a podcast on Spotify? I know the steering wheel buttons skip forward and back 15 seconds when listening to a podcast, and I could have sworn the on-screen buttons in the fly-out did the same thing.
I don’t use Spotify and from what I read, I don’t think it can approximate what I get with the Podcasts app on my phone to play downloaded episodes of an online radio show. I subscribe which gives me a private URL I can put in the Podcasts app and episodes automatically download as they become available. This means that wherever I am, however I am listening, I can access the same content and pick up right where I left off.

Can Spotify deal with subscription content not through their service via private URL and will it allow me to pick up on my phone where I was in my Rivian and vice versa? I’m willing to switch players if it’ll do what I need.
Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I don’t use Spotify and from what I read, I don’t think it can approximate what I get with the Podcasts app on my phone to play downloaded episodes of an online radio show. I subscribe which gives me a private URL I can put in the Podcasts app and episodes automatically download as they become available. This means that wherever I am, however I am listening, I can access the same content and pick up right where I left off.

Can Spotify deal with subscription content not through their service via private URL and will it allow me to pick up on my phone where I was in my Rivian and vice versa? I’m willing to switch players if it’ll do what I need.
I'm not sure where you're getting those private URLs from, but by and large it seems Spotify can do everything that the iOS Podcasts app can do (e.g. subscribe to a podcast, automatically download new episodes, automatically queue up the next episode, sync listening status across devices including the Rivian, etc.)

I was a heavy Apple Podcasts user with CarPlay in my last car, and so far it's the one (and only) aspect of the Rivian that seems on-par with the Apple ecosystem.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I'm not sure where you're getting those private URLs from, but by and large it seems Spotify can do everything that the iOS Podcasts app can do (e.g. subscribe to a podcast, automatically download new episodes, automatically queue up the next episode, sync listening status across devices including the Rivian, etc.)

I was a heavy Apple Podcasts user with CarPlay in my last car, and so far it's the one (and only) aspect of the Rivian that seems on-par with the Apple ecosystem.
I pay for a subscription and the content provider gives subscribers a “private” URL which can be entered into the Podcasts app to grant me access to the content I’m paying for. If I stop paying for my subscription then my URL stops providing me with the content. I’ve been a subscriber since the beginning of January, 2016 So this isn’t bleeding edge tech or anything.

I did more searching online and it looks like Spotify doesn’t support this. So, I guess I’m back to asking for skip back and forward by x seconds in the native interface.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I pay for a subscription and the content provider gives subscribers a “private” URL which can be entered into the Podcasts app to grant me access to the content I’m paying for. If I stop paying for my subscription then my URL stops providing me with the content. I’ve been a subscriber since the beginning of January, 2016 So this isn’t bleeding edge tech or anything.

I did more searching online and it looks like Spotify doesn’t support this. So, I guess I’m back to asking for skip back and forward by x seconds in the native interface.
Interesting that Spotify wouldn't support it, they seem to have gone pretty deep on Podcasts. By "native interface" do you mean the Bluetooth device interface (since presumably you are streaming these podcasts from an app on your phone?). If so, from what I understand that would be a feature request for the Podcast app maker, not Rivian. Looking at a Bluetooth command list I see a "next track" and "previous track" command. Apps can interpret that command to do whatever they want (e.g. skip ahead 15 seconds) but I don't see a way that Rivian could update their UI to send a "skip 15 seconds" command over Bluetooth because such a command may not exist.

The Spotify "app" in the Rivian, which I would argue is the native interface for Podcasts, does what you are looking for, private paid podcasts notwithstanding, unfortunately.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Interesting that Spotify wouldn't support it, they seem to have gone pretty deep on Podcasts. By "native interface" do you mean the Bluetooth device interface (since presumably you are streaming these podcasts from an app on your phone?). If so, from what I understand that would be a feature request for the Podcast app maker, not Rivian. Looking at a Bluetooth command list I see a "next track" and "previous track" command. Apps can interpret that command to do whatever they want (e.g. skip ahead 15 seconds) but I don't see a way that Rivian could update their UI to send a "skip 15 seconds" command over Bluetooth because such a command may not exist.

The Spotify "app" in the Rivian, which I would argue is the native interface for Podcasts, does what you are looking for, private paid podcasts notwithstanding, unfortunately.
Yeah, the Bluetooth interface. I’m sure there isn’t enough demand for Spotify to implement support or at least there isn‘t a revenue stream to justify it. I suspect there will be other things I’ll trip across which I honestly didn’t realize were screen-projection only. :confused: I’ll probably try using controls on my watch, but something tells me that may not be practical while I’m driving.

Sponsored

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
I am throwing my hat in the ring with others - the ability to send and receive text messages.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I would still like the ability to add a light strip/bar to the rear for safety when hauling items, like my motorcycle, on the rear hitch hauler. If they will not let us have additional signal light with what is already on the tailgate, then let us tap into the trailer harness plug without throwing it into tow mode and losing other safety features. I'm sure many others, as well, would be very appreciative of this feature.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would still like the ability to add a light strip/bar to the rear for safety when hauling items, like my motorcycle, on the rear hitch hauler. If they will not let us have additional signal light with what is already on the tailgate, then let us tap into the trailer harness plug without throwing it into tow mode and losing other safety features. I'm sure many others, as well, would be very appreciative of this feature.
It's possible they can't do it because it's hardware based.

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
There are known acceptable ways of properly stopping charging.

TL;DR - Send the driver a text message when charging is interrupted.

Related background info: My understanding is that if Pet Comfort is employed and is interrupted for some reason beyond "normal", a text is sent to the phone of the last driver (maybe all?). This is great as it makes the vehicle pro-active.
----
Send the driver(s) a text message if charging is interrupted due to "vehicle error", home charger taken off-line etc. Several users, including me have experienced interruptions that appear to be due to high heat already this summer. Being able to react quickly may or may not be critical.

As a lower priority, allow add the ability for the user to set a flag that sends a text message if the charge was interrupted or stops for *any* reason, including completion.

This would help Rivian drivers be considerate of others who need chargers. Our large batteries with relatively long charge times make this important.

Adding this function might also help in those rare cases where people have disconnected Rivians using Tesla destination chargers (hotels, etc.).

ThisIsMyHandle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LS FE 22 Dark, Kia EV6 AWD GT-Line
An option to leave the AC on when getting out of the car, rather than going into the app. This is for the times that I know I’ll be out of the car for a relatively short time.
Just click climate - pet mode. Super easy and I use it if the dogs are with or if not.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Spotify "Go To Radio" button so you can instantly begin a new playlist starting from any song / artist. Essential for Spotify users
I just ask Alexa to play My Soundtrack station (on Amazon Music is implied since that is my default music service for Alexa). Is that the Amazon Music equivalent of what you're wanting from Spotify? I'm not a Spotify user so not familiar with that feature.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
Yeah, and have Alexa open the garage too. I know it can be done with a smart garage door opener but I shouldn't have to buy a new opener because the R1 interface is so clunky.
Sponsored