Sponsored

Who’s using EVgo and why - unreasonably expensive

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
I made a quick 260 mi round trip out last week and had started with about 60% charge (unplanned trip). On the way out Rivian kept recommending EVgo so I decided to give them a try (first time). The dispenser I plugged into had someone else plugged in and wasn’t showing rates. During the session it finally flashed a running tally which seemed high. That session was interrupted after about 15min. It was charging quite well at about 180kWhr so I restarted it again. When I finished the second session (I only needed about 4 more minutes) I got shown a $20.19 with a $3 session fee and a 15.6kw dispensed!

Highway robbery! Quite literally. The second session worked out to about $1.306/kWhr and the first session when it finally cleared my CC a couple of days later was $40.06 for about 31kW. The crazy thing is on trips Rivian nav seems to prefer them over EA even when I try to reset a trip and select Rivian, ChargePoint, and EA as preferred network ignoring EVConnect, EVgo, and Tesla.

Who uses them on a regular basis? I checked online and their rates are outrageous even if paying their high “membership/discounted“ rate fees.

Why would Rivian try to keep recommending them even when picking others are preferred and given their outrageous prices? Plus there are plenty of EA and a few ChargePoint around as reasonable alternatives.

I‘m avoiding them. The rate I paid was more than 10x charging at home and nearly 3x what EA charges when NOT using their Pass+. Given their time of day variable raping they do it doesn’t bode well for EA switching to that model.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mtberman

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DM large,2019 Chev Bolt, 2021 Audi e-tron
I have charged with EVGo when I was traveling in NV and CA and it was consistently the highest price per Kw. The stations I used were all new ish and pretty fast and good locations but not inexpensive.

Worth noting, EVGo has a 1 hour max and when you’re road tripping there are times when sessions time out.

When traveling I usually choose EA and RAN

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You can hit the options button when making a route in the nav and prefer whatever networks you prefer. EVGo does tend to be a bit pricier than EA, but they also tend to be more reliable. Having Autocharge+ work with the Rivian was nice on my last road trip. Out of maybe 18 charging stops, 3 of mine were EVGo with no issues at all. I like Autocharge+ because it's just plug and charge like RAN and no dicking around with the EA app when the NFC tap to pay doesn't work...EA is terrible for activation of the chargers. ChargePoint can be hit or miss at the moment whether you get the newer stations capable of 150 kW with a Rivian or the older ones that top out at 85 kW. As always, pre-planning is recommended using PlugShare to verify whether hardware has had recent issues or if rates are high. More and more I'm starting to see sites that charge time-of-use rates that are higher during peak travel (electric use) times or session fees just for plugging in. Session fees are even more fun when a charging issue results in plugging in multiple times.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I saw a chargpoint level2 the other day .36/kWh but a $10 session fee! Charge point doesn't have a network. They just sell hardware so pricing is completely dependent on the operator.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian isn’t “recommending” them - they simply show you a map/ route with charger locations on it. It’s up to you to check out the other stuff on your own. How could they possibly keep up with the pricing, rules, and functionality for every charger?

Sponsored

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

Used EVgo 2x, once in Palm Springs and once in Duarte. No issues and charged around $0.54 & $0.63 kwh. Both sessions took around 20 minutes. Would gladly use again.

OP
OP
Riviaenz

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can hit the options button when making a route in the nav and prefer whatever networks you prefer. EVGo does tend to be a bit pricier than EA, but they also tend to be more reliable. Having Autocharge+ work with the Rivian was nice on my last road trip. Out of maybe 18 charging stops, 3 of mine were EVGo with no issues at all. I like Autocharge+ because it's just plug and charge like RAN and no dicking around with the EA app when the NFC tap to pay doesn't work...EA is terrible for activation of the chargers. ChargePoint can be hit or miss at the moment whether you get the newer stations capable of 150 kW with a Rivian or the older ones that top out at 85 kW. As always, pre-planning is recommended using PlugShare to verify whether hardware has had recent issues or if rates are high. More and more I'm starting to see sites that charge time-of-use rates that are higher during peak travel (electric use) times or session fees just for plugging in. Session fees are even more fun when a charging issue results in plugging in multiple times.
Yeah I normally plan ahead but this was more of a regional commute and there’s tons of options around. I was just surprised that Rivian nav kept suggesting EVgo when it’s not one of the selected options I’ve picked in the nav app. I thought I’d give a try. I knew they were pricy from having looked at their web site previously and having attempted to create an account in the past (other issue with that) with their app. BUT $1.30+/kWhr is egregious!

As for route mapping I’ve found Apple Maps to be fantastic letting me add chargers along a route. It has a far more comprehensive database of chargers than even PlugShare or ABRP, Rivian, and other apps. The only thing that would be better is if Rivian finally allowed/offered CarPlay as then Apple Maps would automatically know it’s connected to an EV and offer than automatically while mapping.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Who’s using EVgo and why - unreasonably expensive 1705857091389

DOWN WITH SESSION FEES!!!

Never used EVGO for this reason. Charging you to connect is BS and your experience of having to reconnect shows why.

OP
OP
Riviaenz

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian isn’t “recommending” them - they simply show you a map/ route with charger locations on it. It’s up to you to check out the other stuff on your own. How could they possibly keep up with the pricing, rules, and functionality for every charger?
By recommending, I mean I don’t have EVgo picked a preferred option in Rivian Nav yet it insists on adding EVgo as a charging waypoint. It clearly has a thing for them over the preferred options and especially considering EA is more prevalent. Why overrule preferred options if not trying to nudge you to them?

OP
OP
Riviaenz

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Used EVgo 2x, once in Palm Springs and once in Duarte. No issues and charged around $0.54 & $0.63 kwh. Both sessions took around 20 minutes. Would gladly use again.
Yeah that’s what I anticipated - about $0.56/kWhr - from having previously checked out an EVGo dispenser and looking on their website. It was a completely unpleasant experience to be robbed. I wish I’d taken a screenshot of the second session that showed $17.20 for 15.6842kWhr + $2.99 session fee! It was nuts. I then backed into the rate for the first session by subtracting the first session fee of $2.99 and also equated to >$1/kWhr. It dispensed about 31kWhr for $40.06. $60.25 for one charge stop was nuts and it wasn’t for anything like a 10% to 80% charge, it was like a 38-61% stop so I could complete my round trip without needing to stop again.

We’ve gotten to experience ChargePoint, Electrify America & Canada, PetroCanada, RAN, Flo, Shell Recharge, and a few other DCFC and have never been robbed until EVgo. Lots of great charging experiences with obviously the most horrible being EA (EC is quite good by contrast) or when we’ve shown up to a charger and the cords have been stollen (literally cut off at the dispenser or pedestals and leaving just the plugs in the holsters - typically ChargePoints).

If it had been not more than $0.56/kWhr I wouldn’t have been so outraged and I would have been ok with it and would only use them if their time of day rates are reasonable. Now I will make sure they don’t ever see me again!

Last edited:

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

They can make bank with session fees and flakey units that disconnect. This is way more than gas.

Pop

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Yes
Total charge worked out to .46¢ kWh at an EVGo in parking lot of local Target Superstore that I've used a couple times. It's close to home and has groceries (convenient). So sometimes stop to top off on way home when kWh added overnight (24amp) would not be sufficient for follow-on trip next morning. I don't charge away from home very often so completely ignorant as to the average going rate for fast charge. What's considered "acceptable" or "normal" market rate for fast charge?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
We have 2 EVGo stations near me.

One charges 50c/kWh, and is broken 75% of the time.

The other charges by the minute, and is often derated to 50kW, resulting in about 75c/kWh. That was well over a year ago. I bet they put station fees on them since. It was also broken 50% of the time or more.

I will not use EVGo unless there is no other option.

JamuJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 2500, Polestar 2, R1T Max Pack Performance
Occupation
Retired Petroleum Engineer
I made a quick 260 mi round trip out last week and had started with about 60% charge (unplanned trip). On the way out Rivian kept recommending EVgo so I decided to give them a try (first time). The dispenser I plugged into had someone else plugged in and wasn’t showing rates. During the session it finally flashed a running tally which seemed high. That session was interrupted after about 15min. It was charging quite well at about 180kWhr so I restarted it again. When I finished the second session (I only needed about 4 more minutes) I got shown a $20.19 with a $3 session fee and a 15.6kw dispensed!

Highway robbery! Quite literally. The second session worked out to about $1.306/kWhr and the first session when it finally cleared my CC a couple of days later was $40.06 for about 31kW. The crazy thing is on trips Rivian nav seems to prefer them over EA even when I try to reset a trip and select Rivian, ChargePoint, and EA as preferred network ignoring EVConnect, EVgo, and Tesla.

Who in their right mind uses them on a regular basis? I checked online and their rates are outrageous even if paying their high “membership/discounted“ rate fees.

Why would Rivian try to keep recommending them even when picking others are preferred and given their outrageous prices? Plus there are plenty of EA and a few ChargePoint around as reasonable alternatives.

I‘m avoiding them like the plague now. The rate I paid was more than 10x charging at home and nearly 3x what EA charges when NOT using their Pass+. Given their time of day variable raping they do it doesn’t bode well for EA switching to that model.
I, being of sound mind, used a new EVGO at a Pilot Flying J travel center in Baytown, TX, because it was where I needed it. It worked perfectly, cost was in the $0.60/kWh range, just like others along I-10 (except for EA with Pass+), and we grabbed a quick meal at the Denny’s in the same location. Pilot/Flying J is installing charging stations at numerous locations, which is great news. Use PlugShare to investigate options before choosing a charger, IF you have choices.

OP
OP
Riviaenz

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Total charge worked out to .46¢ kWh at an EVGo in parking lot of local Target Superstore that I've used a couple times. It's close to home and has groceries (convenient). So sometimes stop to top off on way home when kWh added overnight (24amp) would not be sufficient for follow-on trip next morning. I don't charge away from home very often so completely ignorant as to the average going rate for fast charge. What's considered "acceptable" or "normal" market rate for fast charge?
EA without Pass+ discount at $0.48/kWhr is on the high side. I knew EVgo could be more but not much more. Best rates I’ve seen and paid are as low $0.10/kWhr for a ChargePoint (slowish at 63-85kwWhr speeds) but that’s also one that the last time I visited it’s cords were cut off/stolen. I reported it in their app and they worked with the location to get them replaced (they included me in the email thread which was unexpected).

Other great rates I’ve seen have been when paying per minute especially at fast chargers (typically Flo or at other Canadian dispensers). It’s awesome when juicing at more than 200kWhr and paying per minute 🥰
Sponsored