First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's the wheels that are the problem - changing the offset changes the suspension geometry and causes scrubbing and more stress on the suspension components. Rivian isn't going to support that explicitly by providing calibration, and probably isn't going to fix your suspension under warranty if it fails because of this. Of course it doesn't "void your warranty" for other things, like your sound system, but if your suspension gets damaged then it's really up to you to show that your out-of-spec modifications didn't cause that damage.
Sure, I understand that is a possible outcome, but I am almost positive Rivian would have to prove the wheels caused the failure. Not the other way around.
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Of course there is more to the story that he won't talk about.
Like how he bought a SALVAGE VIN R1S and is pissed that the service center won't do warranty repair on the "un-damaged" part of his vehicle, so he tried to get the service center manager fired ... But he's been banned from the forum ...

That's an extreme case though. If you want to modify your vehicle, go ahead - you do you. But don't blame Rivian if they won't support your modifications.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Sure, I understand that is a possible outcome, but I am almost positive Rivian would have to prove the wheels caused the failure. Not the other way around.
Not wrong. But that would happen when there is litigation. How many consumers are willing to go as far as picking that fight? especially when a little "caveat emptor"ā€”homework and risk managementā€”can be done in advance to avoid or minimize risk.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The big issue here is going outside the factory specifications. Like putting regular gas or ethanol gas into an ICE vehicle that requires premium, non-ethanol. You do that, then you're at fault if your seals go bad or your mileage drops or your engine starts knocking. Likewise, if you push out the wheels and the tires rub under certain settings, causing damage to your tires and fender liners? All on you.

If you stay within factory specifications, then I agree it is Rivian who would have to prove something. But frankly I can't imagine they would deny warranty coverage if it were just the tires that you replaced with something that had the same specs, because then they would be hard-pressed to explain how those could cause any problems.

But when you're replacing the wheels with something that is out of spec (and MOST aftermarket wheels ARE out of spec) then it's on you.

zfischer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter, 1250GSA, R1S
Correct. The burden of proof is on the auto manufacturer. That doesn't mean it won't be a gigantic and protracted pain in the ass to get them to either provide that proor or give-in and cover an issue under warranty, but the the law favors the purchaser.

Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Recommending the decaf.
Yeah. Seems like a slight overreaction. Who gives? The truck isnā€™t about to explode. Just crack on and drive it knowing that you look way cooler with those new wheels.
cheers !

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Yes they do, relax and call your guide. They donā€™t do these at mobile service tho has to be at a SC.
Agree. I have first hand experience with this. I swapped out my OEM all-terrain 20s to Pirelli AS3+ 20s and the El Segundo service center was able to recalibrate my truck to the 21s because of the similar specs.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I have 21s, but have put on 20's and 22's. The speedo is not always accurate but who cares, it's close enough.

Also my set of 20's was after market and i had a few service issues for suspension that rivian fixed no problem.

Not sure I understand the issue here.

Sponsored

Dmartin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad - 21' Mach-e - 22' Model 3
Occupation
Electric Utilities
This is such a minor issue, can't believe the rage.... it's a 3% difference in wheel sizes and truthfully when I dropped from 21" to 20" with the larger (oem spec) tires, my speedo accuracy improved (it was about 4% over reporting, now its 1%). Such a nothing burger to complain about.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
This is such a minor issue, can't believe the rage.... it's a 3% difference in wheel sizes and truthfully when I dropped from 21" to 20" with the larger (oem spec) tires, my speedo accuracy improved (it was about 4% over reporting, now its 1%). Such a nothing burger to complain about.
Interesting that yours was 4% over. Iā€™m getting ready to switch to the same wheels as OP and the Michelin Defender Platinums so Iā€™ve been calculating my speedo overage at various speeds (for the love of a spreadsheet). Mine is a high of 3% at 45 (43.63mph actual) and a low of 1.5% at 80 (78.78mph actual). Iā€™m down to 4/32nds on my factory 21ā€.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I just recieved another call from one of Rivians higher ups...THEY WILL NOT RECALIBRATE AFTERMARKET WHEELS. Its a huge liability for them and voids the trucks warranty...They will not be reliable for any faults with the wheels and tires or damages made over time. So I asked them...:
"How are other people getting their aftermarket wheels and tires calibrated?"
He could not give me an answer.
So now Im out $7000?
Somone needs to pay for this mistake and mis leading direction from their service team.
With less CAPS LOCK and cocane at the ready, did you ask them to simply recalibrate for 20" stock rims? "I'm just hoping to have the vehicle range estimates more representative of the wheels I've installed.

Also I don't understand how you are OUT 7k because of this.

All the INSANITY aside, it would be cool if rivian had a section in the vehicle settings to allow the user to input the wheel specs on the tire, as well as potential for a further sub menu that calculates for AT or Road pattern tires. That would be sweet!
Sponsored

Reactions: KRo