Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thought I’d top up in San Gabriel. Enough to make a grown man cry. Is this the future to pay Elons salary?

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Supercharger Rates -OUCH!! IMG_3143
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I paid $.016/kw yesterday at an SC. I guess Elon likes me better.

Or, maybe it is a reflection of what Tesla is paying for the power in the first place?
🤔
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Supercharger Rates -OUCH!! 1000002388

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Ouch. Every time I've looked at Supercharger rates, they've looked like that. I know you can join their membership but that's like $12/month regardless if you use it or not. It takes several supercharges to even break even at that rate.

EA is more ... well EAish ... but with their $7/month plan the rates per kWh drop down to .38-.42...which is close to RAN rates.

OP
OP

AlanP

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Or, maybe it is a reflection of what Tesla is paying for the power in the first place?
🤔
1000002388.png
Well..... 12-4 am is not my preferred charging hours...LOL.
I guess membership does have its privileges

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think just the cost of traveling in an EV. I paid 48 cents at an EA station yesterday and that was the membership price.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

CA is a tough place to buy gas or electricity. I always charge at home, except road trips and my local Tesla SC is 36-58c/KW, while my EA down the street is 36c/minute not KW.

Time based charging is the way to go if fast charging, walmarts, and other retailer fast chargers are where to look.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Here we n the OC non-membership rates are on par with EA Pass+. Apples to apples, compare to nearby EA & EVgo, I don’t think you’ll see much difference. SCE is the cause for high rates in San Gabriel.

Last edited:

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T

🤔
1000002388.png
Washington has possibly the lowest electricity rates in the country with all the hydro power available. That’s reflected in each SC station which sets prices based on what they have to pay the utility providers. We have it pretty good here in the PNW for rates, even though they’ve gone up about 50% in Portland since 2020.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Go down to El Monte, CA. Not sure why that one doesn’t have a line at any time the sun is out.

Sponsored

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
Well..... 12-4 am is not my preferred charging hours...LOL.
I guess membership does have its privileges
Not really. When the rates are $0.23 for Tesla and we paid $0.31 for Rivian it would have taken us 150kWhr to BREAK EVEN. And then really something like 300kWhr before it works out to a $12 savings to offset paying $12 up front. Not much point for the hassle of setting up an account and going through the app activation process like at an EA when taking advantage of the Rivian RAN like experience is better. Plug and charge.

But then again if they’re charging $0.87/kWhr what’s the Tesla rate vs. the jacked non-Tesla rate?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Not really. When the rates are $0.23 for Tesla and we paid $0.31 for Rivian it would have taken us 150kWhr to BREAK EVEN. And then really something like 300kWhr before it works out to a $12 savings to offset paying $12 up front. Not much point for the hassle of setting up an account and going through the app activation process like at an EA when taking advantage of the Rivian RAN like experience is better. Plug and charge.

But then again if they’re charging $0.87/kWhr what’s the Tesla rate vs. the jacked non-Tesla rate?
Tesla rate is usually 25% lower.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

🤔
1000002388.png
It is California after all….

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

From what I’ve seen, the non-Tesla membership rate is the same rate as a Tesla owner.

Reactions: rpo

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

🤔
1000002388.png

🤔
1000002388.png
Looks like you’re in Portland/Vancouver area. One of the cheapest power locations in the country due to the cheap hydro power from Bonneville Power Authority. So this proves the SC rates reflect the local rates.
I think a better question is to compare rates charged to Rivian’s vs Teslas. Are we being gouged differently?
Sponsored