Sponsored

The suspense is killing me... how long to get through Step 8?

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

When I was there for my 1st mile drive, the Rivian guy said that they were short staffed and that they even sent a number of their guys to the factory to help out with production. They also said they had a few people in for training from the upcoming Vancouver distribution center. Combine with all of the things I’ve been reading on this forum and elsewhere about people having to take newly delivered vehicles in for service, my supposition is that they just don’t have enough people to do all of the deliveries at this time.
You are a very understanding and patient individual!
Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Totally depends where the vehicle is, how it will be transported, and what the backlog is at your service center. I was less than a week from opening steps to ready to schedule delivery. For others it's been at least 3 weeks.

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For me it was about seven weeks. I got my eight steps and VIN on July 15, guide said the truck got to the SC on August 5, and then I finally got contacted by the SC on August 30 (yesterday) to schedule pickup. Scheduled to actually get the truck on September 3 (this Saturday).

I don't know what took them so long; I haven't heard of anyone else waiting that long between a VIN and a truck. I assume the SF service center is just incredibly understaffed right now.

So, figure a worst case of 7 weeks, probably faster.

Boudro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV & Tacoma
ViN 7/28 and still no luck on 8 step opening up. Super frustrated.

CTRT1

First Name
Hardie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500 crew cab Sport
Occupation
Law Enforcement
For me it was about seven weeks. I got my eight steps and VIN on July 15, guide said the truck got to the SC on August 5, and then I finally got contacted by the SC on August 30 (yesterday) to schedule pickup. Scheduled to actually get the truck on September 3 (this Saturday).

I don't know what took them so long; I haven't heard of anyone else waiting that long between a VIN and a truck. I assume the SF service center is just incredibly understaffed right now.

So, figure a worst case of 7 weeks, probably faster.
Clockwork, about how long did it take for you to go from config confirmation to getting your vin assigned to your 8 steps opening up? Sucks it took that long to pretty much deliver your built truck from your service center.

Sponsored

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clockwork, about how long did it take for you to go from config confirmation to getting your vin assigned to your 8 steps opening up? Sucks it took that long to pretty much deliver your built truck from your service center.
I got a guide, a VIN, and steps opened up all within about 48 hours of each other (July 13-15).

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

How long does it normally take for people to get through step 8? it moved from Normal to Chicago I was told Friday so I assume actually left Monday or so. I only refresh the browser every hour or so :D

1661435506653.png
Congrats on that last minute tension!! When did you originally place a reservation? I am a relative newcomer.

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I got a guide, a VIN, and steps opened up all within about 48 hours of each other (July 13-15).
May I ask how long you have been waiting--since originally reserving? We just signed on a couple months ago and wonder how long we will be waiting....

gunslinger201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T and a '22 IS500 Launch Edition
Occupation
Professional Scapegoat
For those interested, you can see my timeline in my signature. Was actually surprised that my 8th step opened as quickly as it did (6 days) and that they were able to schedule a home delivery that fast. I expected to wait... Then again, my SC (Miami) is brand new, so....?

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
May I ask how long you have been waiting--since originally reserving? We just signed on a couple months ago and wonder how long we will be waiting....
About 17 months in total since reservation. I reserved in April of 2021.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blueassassin

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Congrats on that last minute tension!! When did you originally place a reservation? I am a relative newcomer.
I've been waiting since Dec 7th 2018 I have not been doing well at the Rivian lottery.

Defiance

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FG, OR Wheels, xpel full fusion wrap
Occupation
Tech
I've been waiting since Dec 7th 2018 I have not been doing well at the Rivian lottery.
I hear ya. I’m a 2018’er too, but I recently switched from an R1S and added another reservation for it later down the road. Just want a damn Rivian!

Idiot Clown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine will have been at the service center for three weeks as of tomorrow, and I am still in step 8 limbo. I even went to the service center for a “first mile” drive and the Rivian guy confirmed that the car was in the Denver service center and had been inspected and he did not see anything noted about issues, and that was a week 10 days ago, but still . . . .
At the there weeks in the service center mark I sent an email to my guide asking for specific information as to the delay, particularly what it is causing the delay. Here is the response I got:

“I completely understand. I want to assure you that we have not contacted you yet because the vehicle is not ready for delivery. We want it to be perfect for you. Our teams in Denver found an item that they wanted to address and take care of before bringing it to you. We are still expecting it to be ready and to contact you about scheduling within the next few weeks.“

Needless to say I did not find this response acceptable. Essentially Rivian is telling me there is an undisclosed problem with the vehicle that so far they have not been able to resolve in three weeks and that it might get resolved “within the next few weeks.” They apparently won’t tell me what the problem is, which I find troubling. At the very least I would expect a call along the lines of “Mr. Clown, I am sorry but we have a problem with the truck that we are trying to fix, here is what the problem is, here is what we are doing to fix it, and here is why it is taking so long.” That is the least I would expect, but apparently that is too much to ask.

Defiance

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FG, OR Wheels, xpel full fusion wrap
Occupation
Tech
I hear ya. I’m a 2018’er too, but I recently switched from an R1S and added another reservation for it later down the road. Just want a damn Rivian!
Ask and ye shall receive! SC texted today and delivery tomorrow! 🎉

postino22

First Name
Sung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Pilot
My timeline:
  • 8/15 - Call from guide to lock my config and in fact that my truck had arrived in the DC area and was starting the pre-delivery inspection
  • 8/24 - Email from Rivian + text from local rep, both saying to do step 8: schedule delivery
  • 8/29 - Scheduled delivery date
Total time: 2 weeks
Where is your truck came from Richmond or Rockville?
Sponsored