Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I've hit EA and EVGO in Walmarts that were $0.20 per minute not KW. Cheap as they come and what I look for first (walmart parking lot EV stations) when I travel. ~$5 to add 150 miles while checking out the walmart customers.....
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I've hit EA and EVGO in Walmarts that were $0.20 per minute not KW. Cheap as they come and what I look for first (walmart parking lot EV stations) when I travel. ~$5 to add 150 miles while checking out the walmart customers.....
Even if it was free... I don't think I'd go there. If I want to see a freakshow I'll watch Jerry Springer on the TV with zero chance of catching Covid, stupid, etc.. from the Walmart people o_O

Utah-Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Subaru Accent, R2 slot reserved
Even if it was free... I don't think I'd go there. If I want to see a freakshow I'll watch Jerry Springer on the TV with zero chance of catching Covid, stupid, etc.. from the Walmart people o_O
Sadly I spend a lot of time in airports for work travel, I for one and damn glad stupid is not contagious, but I am SURE it is passed on genetically as it seems many families exhibit the trait

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
EA often has better prices than Tesla, whose prices can change by time of day.

Also, stopping now at 20% for a Tesla station vs later when at 10% at an EA might be faster overall.
Yes, stopping at 10% EA vs 20% or 30% Supercharger can get you a better charging speed but there is no way I would ever risk pushing all the way down to 10% on the assumption that the EA station will be available and functioning when I get there. Personal experience, but they are not reliable enough for me to do that. YMMV

I have not had that experience re pricing, but I believe you. If EA wants me as a customer, they need to send an email telling me they guarantee to always price at 20% below the nearest Tesla and RAN. Then I will take the risk on stopping there. Otherwise, not worth it to me. (OTOH, if I have no choice but EA or Chargepoint, EA wins every time...) Your preferences and experience may be different.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I think I can help on this:
Price: RAN, Tesla, everything else is a ripoff
Speed: RAN, Tesla, everything else is a roulette wheel
Reliability: RAN, Tesla, everything else is occupied or broken
Set your nav to RAN, Tesla, and simplify your life. LOL
I laughed when I saw this, but then I realized that this is the exact setting I have on our R1S right now (not that I have used the Tesla chargers yet).

We only use the DCfc when on road trips and charge at home the rest of the time so the price would have to be WAY higher for me to even bother with the others once I have my adapter. Obviously the reliability is key, then the speed, and then add the fact that the Tesla chargers always seem to be in better locations closer to highways, near restaurants, Starbucks, Sheetz or other mega gas stations instead of some sketchy parking lot or 400 yards across a giant parking lot from a run down mall and I would have to be full charging a half dozen times at double the rate every time before I considered the price impact.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I know the RAN chargers are capable of 200kw, I'm saying I've never seen my vehicle charge anywhere close to 200kw. The most I've seen is probably 165-170kw on my vehicle, from any charger.
It will depend on your beginning SOC. You’ll only see 200kw+ (214, to be specific) if you start at a low SOC and the battery preconditioned.

Runinova

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I've never seen charge rates come close to 200kw even on RAN chargers. I usually get up to around 160kw peak or so. Does the Max Pack just not hit those numbers or should I get it checked out?
I use RAN chargers on a fairly consistent basis and I too have the MAX Pack. 160 KW is quite the norm. Only rarely do I see it get close to the 200 range. I believe conditions have to be just right for it to get there (battery temps, outside temps, etc.) It's quite normal for the max to NOT hit max charge rates unfortunately.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I know the RAN chargers are capable of 200kw, I'm saying I've never seen my vehicle charge anywhere close to 200kw. The most I've seen is probably 165-170kw on my vehicle, from any charger.
It will depend on your beginning SOC. You’ll only see 200kw+ (214, to be specific) if you start at a low SOC and the battery preconditioned.
I was able to hit 213 kW using RAN with battery preconditioned.

MountainPass tested the unofficial adapter on Tesla network in this thread and were able to hit 208 kW.

I ordered one using discount code "RIV" and will use it until the official one shows up.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

Unofficial A2Z DCFC NACS to CCS 500A / 1000v adapter YouTube review.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Tesla supercharging pricing / cost shows on both R1 screens while charging IMG_8583

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Tesla supercharging pricing / cost shows on both R1 screens while charging IMG_8582

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Tesla supercharging pricing / cost shows on both R1 screens while charging IMG_9074

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Tesla supercharging pricing / cost shows on both R1 screens while charging IMG_9071

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Tesla supercharging pricing / cost shows on both R1 screens while charging IMG_9072

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Tesla supercharging pricing / cost shows on both R1 screens while charging IMG_9073

Last edited:

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It seems that ea never displays availability so there's no way of knowing if you'll have a wait or something is broken (there's the reason I guess) plug share doesn't have status for ea either. At least evgo exposes that and seems to have plug and charge.

Tesla really opened a great selection of stations! Got to hand it to them for making travel painless now I think. It fills in the early effort from rivian to connect dots around the country!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It seems that ea never displays availability so there's no way of knowing if you'll have a wait or something is broken (there's the reason I guess) plug share doesn't have status for ea either. At least evgo exposes that and seems to have plug and charge.

Tesla really opened a great selection of stations! Got to hand it to them for making travel painless now I think. It fills in the early effort from rivian to connect dots around the country!
The EA app has the station availability.

Sponsored

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Did Jose at RivianTrackr get an official Rivian adapter or did RJ just condone the use of a third-party adapter?
Not sure, but he could have used the Tesla adapters given to Ford owners. Same adapter.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The only time availability is relevant is when I am traveling high speed down the freeway and nearing a charging destination. This is not a time to be checking apps on a phone. IMO, if it does not show up on the vehicle's nav, it is essentially useless. Any charging network that wants to stay relevant needs to deliver real-time pricing and availability into a free database with an open (and preferably standard) API and offer OEMs integration assistance.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Irrelevant until they start shipping adapters.
Uh no, just get an A2Z or Lectron adapter.

So since I have an A2Z adapter, thought I'd try my closest Tesla SC tonight.

The Tesla integration is awesome. It shows the NACS enable chargers in your map along with # of free stalls. Unfortunately that number always seems to be out of date (Tesla app shows the same numbers, also out of date) - maybe they use like a 15 minute refresh or something.

Anyways, I arrived at the site, maps showing 4/8 stalls available, and 7/8 were available (one roped off out of order).

I plugged the Tesla cable into the A2Z adapter, making sure the finicky Tesla locking slider was first unlocked and then locked (official Rivian Adapter won't have this problem) and then plugged it into my R1S.

And that's it, charging started automatically after about 45 seconds or so. I had my credit card in the the Rivian app/account, so the $0.38/kWh fee charged to non-Tesla membership people was automatically charged to my credit card.

To stop the session, you have to use either your app or the vehicle touchscreen.

Even though I also own a Tesla, even if I had started the charge on my Tesla app, I still would have been charged the non-membership fee of $0.38/kWh unless I had enrolled in the monthly charging plan at $12.99/month which would have reduced pricing to $0.28/kWh.

The user interface integration is really nice. Shows a running total on the app and vehicle screens of the cost, speed, etc.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Tesla supercharging pricing / cost shows on both R1 screens while charging IMG_6556

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It does and sometimes “available” also mean non-working. Even as you are at the charger looking like a fool trying repeatedly to charge with no success. The charger just pretend to look normal, but laugh at you when you’re not facing it. Then, some weeks later, it gives you a free session, as if to apologize for pranking you.
Sponsored