Who’s using EVgo and why - unreasonably expensive

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
They used to be more reliable for me. Anymore, they are less-so because they typically only have a single 350kw charger at a location. Using them in IL was great because they charged by the minute and a 10-80% charge would cost about $10.

Now most of them I use are derated or I have to bounce to the 100kw chargers and I'm stuck at 80kw.

Also, exactly this:
I'm not going to start complaining about prices until we have widespread reliable charging infrastructure. In the meantime, charge me whatever it takes to pay for rapid expansion and maintenance.
Sponsored

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Used EV go in Georgetown, KY on a trip back from Chicago. By far the highest priced charger on the total trip. Went from 15% to 85% and it was $53.00! That was more than double what any other charges were on the 1700 mile round trip from Charlotte to Chicago and back. Will avoid that one if i go back through as it was not any faster than the EA chargers I've used in other parts of Georgetown. Guess they have to pay for the covered parking!

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

We have used EVGo 2 times. I was charged $0.46/kWh (one session was $21.00 and the other waS $36). We charge 90% at home and I charge the other 10% at work (for free).

Some of these charging stations (not just EVGo), know what the traffic is like and can charge accordingly. For example, in the big city, they will keep their prices consistent but in the middle of nowhere they may charge more......same thing if you were driving an ICE vehicle.....you might pay $1.00/gallon....why?.....because they know that they can.

I don't mind paying a higher price if knowing that I pay it or I am stuck.

When you are road-tripping, you have to take into account these things and plan in advance. Before we took that road trip, I studied Plug-share and ABRP like a teenager cramming for a test the night before. I knew what I was going to expect to be charged.

Is it highway robbery?........some can say yes, but in the end, they will charge what they can.

Taichi

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Camaro, '79 Fiat 124, '94 YJ, '23 R1T
Occupation
Architect
EVGo seems to be the most common one around me (driving in between College Station, TX - Austin, TX - San Antonio, TX) and they're pretty quick and reliable. I've maybe encountered one down charger for the last 10-15 stops and get ~150KW everytime I use it. (even got ~210KW during my charge yesterday!)

I just did the math on all my transactions and they were between .57-.66/KWh, but I signed up for their membership for my latest charge and it was .54/KWh.

Not totally sure if its worth it yet, but I won't say no to ~$20 off per charge and no $3 session fee. (I'm guessing on the fee based on how the charges were written out.)

nellbarr

First Name
Nelida
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 rivian R1S
Occupation
Realtor
I made a quick 260 mi round trip out last week and had started with about 60% charge (unplanned trip). On the way out Rivian kept recommending EVgo so I decided to give them a try (first time). The dispenser I plugged into had someone else plugged in and wasn’t showing rates. During the session it finally flashed a running tally which seemed high. That session was interrupted after about 15min. It was charging quite well at about 180kWhr so I restarted it again. When I finished the second session (I only needed about 4 more minutes) I got shown a $20.19 with a $3 session fee and a 15.6kw dispensed!

Highway robbery! Quite literally. The second session worked out to about $1.306/kWhr and the first session when it finally cleared my CC a couple of days later was $40.06 for about 31kW. The crazy thing is on trips Rivian nav seems to prefer them over EA even when I try to reset a trip and select Rivian, ChargePoint, and EA as preferred network ignoring EVConnect, EVgo, and Tesla.

Who in their right mind uses them on a regular basis? I checked online and their rates are outrageous even if paying their high “membership/discounted“ rate fees.

Why would Rivian try to keep recommending them even when picking others are preferred and given their outrageous prices? Plus there are plenty of EA and a few ChargePoint around as reasonable alternatives.

I‘m avoiding them like the plague now. The rate I paid was more than 10x charging at home and nearly 3x what EA charges when NOT using their Pass+. Given their time of day variable raping they do it doesn’t bode well for EA switching to that model.
EVgo as does ElectrifyAmerica require a monthly membership fee to get the lower rate. IN FLORIDA, EA is about .36 with a $7
I made a quick 260 mi round trip out last week and had started with about 60% charge (unplanned trip). On the way out Rivian kept recommending EVgo so I decided to give them a try (first time). The dispenser I plugged into had someone else plugged in and wasn’t showing rates. During the session it finally flashed a running tally which seemed high. That session was interrupted after about 15min. It was charging quite well at about 180kWhr so I restarted it again. When I finished the second session (I only needed about 4 more minutes) I got shown a $20.19 with a $3 session fee and a 15.6kw dispensed!

Highway robbery! Quite literally. The second session worked out to about $1.306/kWhr and the first session when it finally cleared my CC a couple of days later was $40.06 for about 31kW. The crazy thing is on trips Rivian nav seems to prefer them over EA even when I try to reset a trip and select Rivian, ChargePoint, and EA as preferred network ignoring EVConnect, EVgo, and Tesla.

Who in their right mind uses them on a regular basis? I checked online and their rates are outrageous even if paying their high “membership/discounted“ rate fees.

Why would Rivian try to keep recommending them even when picking others are preferred and given their outrageous prices? Plus there are plenty of EA and a few ChargePoint around as reasonable alternatives.

I‘m avoiding them like the plague now. The rate I paid was more than 10x charging at home and nearly 3x what EA charges when NOT using their Pass+. Given their time of day variable raping they do it doesn’t bode well for EA switching to that model.
need to get the "monthly membership" to reduce the rate. You can cancel it and it's about $7. Same with electrify America. in Florida, Evolution (FPL) does not require a membership fee

Sponsored

RedCanyon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Yeah I normally plan ahead but this was more of a regional commute and there’s tons of options around. I was just surprised that Rivian nav kept suggesting EVgo when it’s not one of the selected options I’ve picked in the nav app. I thought I’d give a try. I knew they were pricy from having looked at their web site previously and having attempted to create an account in the past (other issue with that) with their app. BUT $1.30+/kWhr is egregious!

As for route mapping I’ve found Apple Maps to be fantastic letting me add chargers along a route. It has a far more comprehensive database of chargers than even PlugShare or ABRP, Rivian, and other apps. The only thing that would be better is if Rivian finally allowed/offered CarPlay as then Apple Maps would automatically know it’s connected to an EV and offer than automatically while mapping.

How do you use Apple Maps? I am not aware (and can not find) an option in Apple Maps to do route planning with charging stations? Please share!

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Is it highway robbery?........some can say yes, but in the end, they will charge what they can.
While I don't like the high prices as much as the next person, building out that infrastructure costs a fortune. I am not sure about the per unit cost (fully loaded) per charge port for EVGo, but I have heard numbers of $200-250k for each EA charge port. Even if they charge us $0.60 per kW/h, they are probably paying around $0.30 including demand charges, so that leaves them around $0.30 kW/h to pay for the equipment, all their staff salaries, perhaps rent for the space and of course lots and lots of maintenance. At $0.30 per kW/h that will take a long time to pay back, probably much longer than many investors are comfortable with.

I think the price increases will get worse before they get better until some of the IRA money will start flowing (I think a single station has been built with IRA money so far).

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

While I don't like the high prices as much as the next person, building out that infrastructure costs a fortune. I am not sure about the per unit cost (fully loaded) per charge port for EVGo, but I have heard numbers of $200-250k for each EA charge port. Even if they charge us $0.60 per kW/h, they are probably paying around $0.30 including demand charges, so that leaves them around $0.30 kW/h to pay for the equipment, all their staff salaries, perhaps rent for the space and of course lots and lots of maintenance. At $0.30 per kW/h that will take a long time to pay back, probably much longer than many investors are comfortable with.

I think the price increases will get worse before they get better until some of the IRA money will start flowing (I think a single station has been built with IRA money so far).
This is why I prefer to charge at home or work. But on those occasions I need to charge on the road I will look for a RAN first and then an EA. I liked the EVGo we charged at, it was at (literally in the parking lot about 15’ from the door) of an In N out burger. Charged and had a burger

Stretch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vivian ('23 R1S) & Sparky ('23 R1T)
I agree that these companies have a vested interest in NOT fixing connection issues that result in multiple session fees.

I suggest that if a site has connection issues that result in repeat session fees, call your credit card company to contest the charges. Nearly all credit card companies will refund your money while they investigate the charges. The burden of proof is placed on the charging station company to explain the multiple fees before they can then recoup the payment again. Most of them probably won't bother. If everyone starts doing this regularly, EV Go (EV Gouge) and others might change their practices.

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
I stopped using EvGo and stick to RAN and EA as much as I can with EvGo as my last resort due to pricing. I don’t have connection issues with EvGo when I do use them - I have found them to be reliable. Their pricing is higher though in my experience and a lot of their stations along my routes are predominantly 100-150kW units with maybe one or two 350kW units.

Sponsored

Tsneece

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rit
Occupation
Real estate state

I think Rivian really ripped all of us (buyer)'s off with their very vague offering of what the RAN charging system would offer us. I got free charging for way less than a year and my representative said I would have it for at least a year and maybe more, before I bought the truck. Did anybody else get that kind of feedback from the representative?

EVgo

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Occupation
EVgo

Hi there. I work at EVgo. Check your DMs. Something clearly went wrong from a tech perspective, and we want to understand it better, and more importantly, make you happy. Mercifully, this is a pretty strange occurance, but we love to murder bugs like this one. Sorry for the bad experience.

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
I have used EVgo twice, both times in cypress, tx. Coming from a Tesla M3, EVgo+RIVN is not a fun experience. 1. EVgo is slow and expensive 2. The RIVN battery is 135kwh vs 60. Therefor the experience was 2x as long and probably 1.5x the kWh/cost. Luckily anything over 300 miles, I fly so charging the RIVN is not the end of the world but also not the most fun experience either.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I use them on my most recent road trip. There was 69 cents per kilowatt hour. However, when I purchase the $13 membership, I don't pay any of the other fees and I get a 30% discount on the per kilowatt hour rate.

Because they are more expensive, they are generally more available than electrify America. Just compared to last year EA on the route from Maryland to Boston is almost completely unusable. All the chargers are very busy or full and some are out of order.

I used one EA charger on my most recent trip to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It was in Kittery Maine and I mainly use that one because it was 5 mi from the hotel. The other plus there was that it was free.

If you're taking a long road trip, the $13 membership with EVgo pays for itself in savings. EVgo is also supposed to support plug and charge for Rivian though I could not get plug and charge to work at the two stations I visited.

OP
OP
Riviaenz

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
EVgo as does ElectrifyAmerica require a monthly membership fee to get the lower rate. IN FLORIDA, EA is about .36 with a $7

need to get the "monthly membership" to reduce the rate. You can cancel it and it's about $7. Same with electrify America. in Florida, Evolution (FPL) does not require a membership fee
Yes, with EA I’ll add the Pass+ in advance of a trip. Although, the last time I did I added it as I started an unplanned trip. At my first stop it didn’t give me the discount nor for any of the stops throughout that trip. After a several attempts at contacting support they finally started responding and explained that sometimes it takes a few days for Pass+ to be recognized and before you start getting the 25% off. That seems unreliable. They ended up giving me the 25% off retroactively after they confirmed I had paid for Pass+. I had to send them screenshots from my iphone showing I’d added it and the transaction history showing the automatic reloads that included covering the $7. It was odd they couldn’t validate from their side. I did end up having to sort it out with engineering. It’s disappointing that EA hasn’t seemed to take their charter seriously. I guess there’s a reason EA/VW have been sucking at charging and singlehandedly moved the entire EV industry into Tesla’s plug. Heck they were even strong armed by Porsche and now VW group has adopted NACS. Sad as I don’t believe a plug will make for a reliable infrastructure. It’s all about the service experience, availability, and support quality to name a few. It all became apparent even with Tesla’s vaunted Superchargers when they failed in Chicago recently and Tesla support was no where to be seen further tarnishing the image of EVs.
Sponsored

Last edited: