20" tire recommendations

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I get an adjusted 350+ miles per charge (~2.5 m/kwh) on the Pirelli AS +3 tires, much better than the ~300 (~2.1) I used to get with the ATs. And the tires are silent and the handling is more precise..
is that on conserve?

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yes, on highway. In standard mode in mixed driving I am averaging around 2.4 m/kwh

That is awesome. I'm hoping for my general grabber HTS60 will be that number too. Only have about 150 miles on it and it is around 2.10 all purposed. I have not try conserve yet.. My lifetime on the 21" which lasted all 16k miles were 2.28

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I moved from the Pirelli AS to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 when my Pirellis wore out. Really like the LTX M/S2. Used them in Tahoe this last week in a lot of snowy icy conditions and they worked like a champ. Really confident, solid, plowed through crud way better than my pirellis did last season.
Hey @Mtbaddict, thanks for this comparison. I'm looking to switch from my OEM 20" Pirelli's soon.

From what I can find online (Tire Rack) I states the Defender LTX M/S 2's only have a 7.8" tread width (86% of OEM tires). Any issues from your experience with traction on wet pavment?

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Once again circling back. What is the stock 20 size? 275/60 or 275/65? And why would you choose that wasn't stock? The weight rating? Or is it the available tire options?
1. One chooses the smaller size because that diameter yields best potential efficiency, for 20” wheels.

2. You pick the tire with the correct weight/load rating for the vehicle they are intended for. You go under spec, you risk overloading tire and tire failure.

3. One chooses to run a non-factory size, because they can. Whether their Service Center will accommodate and reflash their 275/65R20 build, to 275/55R21 (which is close equivalent of 275/60R20, by a delta of 0.3%), that’s a separate story.

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Audi Q7
Hey @Mtbaddict, thanks for this comparison. I'm looking to switch from my OEM 20" Pirelli's soon.

From what I can find online (Tire Rack) I states the Defender LTX M/S 2's only have a 7.8" tread width (86% of OEM tires). Any issues from your experience with traction on wet pavment?
No traction problems at all. Definitely better snow traction than the A/S OEMs. Been driving in a ton of rain in Northern CA and I’m really glad I got them.

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Audi Q7
Efficiency?
I’ve done a lot of Mtn and fast freeway driving since I installed the defenders, so I don’t have a good sample size for comparison. My gut feeling is they are slightly less efficient (~5%) than the 21” pirellis, but that may just be my driving tendencies lately.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Narrow tire width is what gives a tire strong snow/ice performance (think of an ice skate and how narrow the blade is). Take the Michellin X-ICE SNOW for example, tread width is 7.7" in the 275/60R20 Size.

I've heard the 20" OEM tires don't do great in the snow/ice (ok but sketchy for some people).

Out of 17 suitable tires in the 275/60R20 range, the average tread width is 8.8" with 8.7" being most common.

For me, I've found that wider tires perform better and generally will last longer. I very rarely drive in snow/ice.

Tires I'm interested in (all around 40#s and ~$1,000 for 4):

For those looking for long lasting high efficiency tire
33" Pirelli Scorpion AS+3 (275/60R20) tire width of 8.3", [tread is 11/32], only 38#s, very high UTQG of 800 A A

For anyone doing regular offroad/snow and want OEM size: 34" Kumho Road Venture AT52 (285/60R20) tire width of 9.1", [tread is 13.5/32] - Severe Snow Service Rated, only 44#s , ok UTQG of 680 A A

For those looking for mainly onroad 33" General Grabber HTS 60 (275/60R20) tire width of 8.6", [tread is 10/32], super lightweight at 34#s. Downside is low UTQG of 620 A B

Not sure if the AS+3 or the Grabber is more efficient, need some tests from anyone with them...

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Narrow tire width is what gives a tire strong snow/ice performance (think of an ice skate and how narrow the blade is). Take the Michellin X-ICE SNOW for example, tread width is 7.7" in the 275/60R20 Size.

I've heard the 20" OEM tires don't do great in the snow/ice (ok but sketchy for some people).

Out of 17 suitable tires in the 275/60R20 range, the average tread width is 8.8" with 8.7" being most common.

For me, I've found that wider tires perform better and generally will last longer. I very rarely drive in snow/ice.

Tires I'm interested in (all around 40#s and ~$1,000 for 4):

For those looking for long lasting high efficiency tire
33" Pirelli Scorpion AS+3 (275/60R20) tire width of 8.3", [tread is 11/32], only 38#s, very high UTQG of 800 A A

For anyone doing regular offroad/snow and want OEM size: 34" Kumho Road Venture AT52 (285/60R20) tire width of 9.1", [tread is 13.5/32] - Severe Snow Service Rated, only 44#s , ok UTQG of 680 A A

For those looking for mainly onroad 33" General Grabber HTS 60 (275/60R20) tire width of 8.6", [tread is 10/32], super lightweight at 34#s. Downside is low UTQG of 620 A B

Not sure if the AS+3 or the Grabber is more efficient, need some tests from anyone with them...
I've pretty much narrowed down to as3 or grabber after reading everything here and in that Google doc. Again, if you are looking at meeting or beating the 21" efficiency numbers. It could always be wash between the two since one is thinner but heavier. Which of course should make the choice of the AS3 the winner due to the much longer life.

I'm just really surprised that the AS3 isn't *that* much more efficient than the 21" based on my knowledge of the Tesla difference between their 19" and 21". But of course that's 2" vs 1" and a very considerable difference in width/compound.

Sponsored

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This is actually a myth, and reality is a lot more nuanced. See for an actual test.

A lot of the things that you've been posting (e.g. regarding weight) is misleading or outright false. It'd be good if you shared actual test data rather than just posting anectdotes and conjecture.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Quoting google for you:

" Snow driving — Because there is low friction on the road, having greater pressure on the road is more important than having more surface area. Therefore, narrow tires perform better when the roads are covered with snow, since they can dig deeper into the snow, providing more traction."

Obviously narrrow bald tires will perform poorly compared to a wider tire with 16/32" of tread...

It's all about the shape of the contact patch, a wider tire changes the shape reducing the length of contact (not a good thing for snow performance)...

Driving in snow is the opposite of driving in sand (in sand you drop pressure to ~15-20 psi thus increasing the contact patch size).

Sorry didn't watch the video, what other factors are you referring to?

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

You're quoting Google, which quotes burtbrothers.com, which is just repeating the same myth. And again, just conjecture with no evidence to back that up. Anyway, the video explains why that's wrong, with an actual test.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I've pretty much narrowed down to as3 or grabber after reading everything here and in that Google doc. Again, if you are looking at meeting or beating the 21" efficiency numbers. It could always be wash between the two since one is thinner but heavier. Which of course should make the choice of the AS3 the winner due to the much longer life.

I'm just really surprised that the AS3 isn't *that* much more efficient than the 21" based on my knowledge of the Tesla difference between their 19" and 21". But of course that's 2" vs 1" and a very considerable difference in width/compound.
I’m currently using the grabber rt now. Will post efficiency when I get at least 500 miles on it . It is still new and sticky and I can see the efficiency climbing up daily . As long as it is similar to my stock 21” number , I will be happy

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

You're quoting Google, which quotes burtbrothers.com, which is just repeating the same myth. And again, just conjecture with no evidence to back that up. Anyway, the video explains why that's wrong, with an actual test.
It's just physics, do you use one inch wide knife blades at home too! Will watch that video though....
Sponsored

Last edited: