Sponsored

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I've been playing in the app looking at the grades. They generally don't seem that meaningful. I can't seem to find anything lower than a "B" including chargers I have repeatedly witnessed failures at.

What does seem meaningful is the "average top speed" as an indicator of success. For example, these chargers I know to be bad are all 150/350, but their "average top speed" is in the 50-75 range. I feel like Rivian could more aggressively lower the grade on those with a low average top speed. Hopefully they update the grading methodology overtime.

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I'm really looking forward to this.

This type of software tends to be really good for the average use case upon launch, but can create a number of issues for edge-cases. Then it typically improves rapidly as feedback is integrated. So be cautious and thoughtful for the first few trips with it.

I really think Rivian should start licensing this and other ABRP algorithms to other automakers. This is the type of data that's much more valuable with more reporting data sources. And it would help improve the EV charging ecosystem for everyone.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Do they have any way of detecting when someone shows up and sees the situation is so bad leave without attempting to plug in?

For example if 3 of 4 stalls are broken and covered up and there are 5 cars in line waiting to use the 1 functioning stall so you just leave. Does that count as a failed charge?

Even if everyone who manages to get to the front of the line for the 1 non-broken stall charges at full speed on their first try, I would want to avoid this location.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I've been playing in the app looking at the grades. They generally don't seem that meaningful. I can't seem to find anything lower than a "B" including chargers I have repeatedly witnessed failures at.
Depending on how long they have been collecting the data, it may take a while for the grading system to mature. I also wonder how long their look back will be, will it reflect that stations that used to be good have deteriorated (or vice versa)?0

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Apparently electrify Canada gets an F

Sponsored

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
Better to have than not, but I don't see this being that helpful. Even with a good score, there appears to be no accounting for congestion or wait time at a specific charger (I'm not sure how they would get such data without it shared by the charger company entity).

The Tesla network is going to continue to be our best option with the least crowding (aside from popular locations in California) and most up time. And, pretty accurate real time congestion info (through the Tesla app).

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

A good data point to have I guess but it will be a while before I would trust a single source for that information except maybe for the RAN chargers. Anything else I'll still end up checking out on the charging networks app and Plugshare before I commit.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What does seem meaningful is the "average top speed" as an indicator of success. For example, these chargers I know to be bad are all 150/350, but their "average top speed" is in the 50-75 range. I feel like Rivian could more aggressively lower the grade on those with a low average top speed. Hopefully they update the grading methodology overtime.
Definitely curious about their algorithm and what info they're actually collecting...more detail than what was in either the OoS or State of Charge videos. I just looked at some of the stations along I80 in Nebraska that I hit in January and they were all rated A. Looking at recent PlugShare reviews for the EA in Ogallala, NE for instance shows a couple Rivian charges that had slow charging and had to move to other stalls...so it's odd that the score would still be an A.

Like you're suggesting, max charge rate isn't necessarily relevant. I had an EA station in Colby, KS give me over 180 kW before derating to 30 kW after 5 minutes (suspect cable cooling failure) and then faulted out. That site is also showing an A score.

Interestingly, the EV Connect station I used in Abilene, KS last week is rated a C and showing an average top sped of 154 kW while also showing the station is rated for 350 kW. PlugShare and the EV Connect app also show that station as 350 kW, so I guess the scores do work? The sad thing is that the location is way more convenient than the Salina EA station since that one is so far off the interstate and the EV Connect site is at a truck/travel stop with amenities. Also pricey at $0.59/kWh.

56huck

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Bronco, F250,
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Here’s a YouTube video on the details from State of Charge interviewing Rivian’s head of software

Rgrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt