Sponsored

Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette...

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
I plan to avoid buying electrons from Elon (and by doing so I will support growth of other networks) but it will be nice to have a backup option.

Question though: the Tesla stations donā€™t actually indicate on which side you are supposed to park, do they? I mean if five Rivians, a Ford, and two Teslas show up at a station, whoā€™s the problem?

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Was charging my Tesla at a supercharger I frequent with Magic docks. Not a busy one as the only chargers I typically use are in BFE as I have a level 2 at home and typically only stay at lodging accomdations that offer level 2 charging. But at this particular charger 3 stalls could charge a Rivian without taking up a space that would block charger. Most superchargers Iā€™ve been to I can see typically at least 2 spots that wouldnā€™t block Teslas. Intentionally blocking a spot, wanting to fight, or exchange words you become one of those type of people in society that would benefit society by voluntarily eating a bullet. Electrification for many will be a challenge and we donā€™t need consumers in this world that will make it even more challenging.

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette... IMG_4661

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I plan to avoid buying electrons from Elon (and by doing so I will support growth of other networks) but it will be nice to have a backup option.
Counterpoint.

As the company that has done the most to provide fast, reliable charging to us, and is likely to continue to be the fastest growing brand, I plan on doing just the opposite.

Support those who have done the most for me by choosing to give them my money.

Every charge where I support the architects of dieselgate pains me to the core.
šŸ˜Ž

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, and can we talk about the idiocy of everyone carrying around heavy, giant extension cords?

Itā€™s massively inefficient. Besides the direct resource use, youā€™d have to carry it around in your car. It will take up space and add even more weight to already heavy EVs.

Yes, we should all be nice. Remember, hardly any Tesla owners had Rivian as an option when they bought their Tesla. Only the more recent Model X buyers and Cybertruck buyers had a comparable Rivian to consider. (And maybe we let it slide with the Cybertruck buyers because they are a little, well, uh, you know, um, letā€™s just go with ā€œdifferent.ā€)

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

All these various scenarios are fine to conjecture about. But, I havenā€™t heard what you do when the station is packed and has a queue?

If youā€™re next and thereā€™s only one spot available, do you block everyone until two adjacent stalls open, after which you block both? Or, do you let people behind you skip the line in some sort of endless way?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The every other is because pairs of SCs run off of a single circuit. You'll see them marked 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. We were taught to do every other unless they're full, simply because 2 Tesla cars on adjacent (e.g. 1A and 1B) SCs will slow the charging for both. (I don't know if this is true for V4s.)
As a Tesla owner, I'll try to be accommodating to non-Tesla vehicles as long as they're not d***s.
I understand why a lot of Tesla drivers park every other spot, but it doesnā€™t matter with v3 and v4 sites, and the etiquette should change to better accommodate all vehicle types.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Counterpoint.

As the company that has done the most to provide fast, reliable charging to us, and is likely to continue to be the fastest growing brand, I plan on doing just the opposite.

šŸ˜Ž
I respect the counterpoint. Personally I canā€™t get past the Elon factor though. YMMV.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Oh, and can we talk about the idiocy of everyone carrying around heavy, giant extension cords?

Itā€™s massively inefficient. Besides the direct resource use, youā€™d have to carry it around in your car. It will take up space and add even more weight to already heavy EVs.
That's basically how public charging works in Europe... you supply the connecting cable, it plugs in to the public charging stand on one end and into your charge port with the other end.

Just saying it's not as far out as it seems...

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Counterpoint.

šŸ˜Ž
1) EA isnā€™t the only alternative to Tesla for DCFC 2) Dieselgate happened under old VW management who have nothing to do with EA 3) the FSD fraud is at least as immoral as Dieselgate, IMO.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

That is true for the 150kwh V2's but not the V3 and V4's. However, you are right in that the habit/tradition still carries over.

Most Tesla owners I have charged with are ignorant on how the charging works and do not understand the difference in the versions. They will get cranky out of ignorance and not because they do not want others to charge. Most are good folk.
Teslas are like IPhones. Everything is laid out out for you, and there is is no learning curve. You pull into the parking lot that says, 'Tesla", back up to one of the red and white thingies, and plug the black wire into the only hole in the back of your car. You then wait until your car tells you it's finished, unplug your car and leave. It's simple as that.

At this point in time, there are probably some Tesla drivers that have never driven anything else. Some of these folks may not realize that there are some cars that have to have liquid fuel put in them at a place called a gas station. To some of these people, just seeing a strange vehicle not backed into the red and white thingie will make their heads spin. As other strange EVs intrude into the Tesla world we must have patience with the native Teslaites.

Brian

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1) EA isnā€™t the only alternative to Tesla for DCFC 2) Dieselgate happened under old VW management who have nothing to do with EA 3) the FSD fraud is at least as immoral as Dieselgate, IMO.
Weird.

I LOVE my FSD in my Y. I really wish my Rivian had it!

I wonder if that makes me immoral too...
šŸ¤”

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Well I guess since I have only ever owned a CCS car I should continue to support EA. Without their network buildout a lot of the adventures I have had over the last two years would not have been possible.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Weird.

I LOVE my FSD in my Y. I really wish my Rivian had it!

I wonder if that makes me immoral too...
šŸ¤”
Are you charging people thousands of dollars for a product they never received and will never receive? If not, no, you are not immoral. (To limit the discussion, Iā€™m especially focused on people who bought a Tesla with FSD payment and never got what was promised by Elon and Tesla because they were in a wreck or sold their Tesla). And no, FSD is not even in the same city as the ballpark of what Elon and Tesla have represented FSD being. Iā€™m still waiting for that cross-country drive with no driver intervention that was supposed to happen 5 years ago.

ModelXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
That is true for the 150kwh V2's but not the V3 and V4's. However, you are right in that the habit/tradition still carries over.

Most Tesla owners I have charged with are ignorant on how the charging works and do not understand the difference in the versions. They will get cranky out of ignorance and not because they do not want others to charge. Most are good folk.
Thanks. I mostly use V2s which are pretty prevalent. I have used V3s, but I can't remember the numbering on them. I haven't seen a V4 yet.

You bring up a good point about Tesla owners. I'll have to be sure the Tesla Owners Club New York State (tocnys.org) spreads the word on charging etiquette.
Sponsored