Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I was able to borrow an A2Z adapter locally from a friend for couple hours to do some late night testing.

I parked in the furthest spot available and had to take up 2 spots out of 12. 8 were still available when I first arrived.

I started at 59% with a pre-conditioned battery and simply just attached the adapter and plugged it into the vehicle. This activated plug / charge feature RJ spoke about. You can even see the cost for charging on the driver dash display.

the handshake was automatic and charging started within 30 seconds using the card Rivian has on file.

I was able to hit 217 kW on the A2Z adapter. Ambient temps were 64 degrees and charging adapter hit a max of 89 degrees. I only pulled down 19 kWh in 7 minutes time.

I ordered one this week for myself using discount code "RIV" and will use it until the official one shows up. I was glad to see how easy it was to use and hit full speeds.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9187

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9189

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9190

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9195

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9205

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9192

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9073
Sponsored

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Ugh I'm so split on whether to get one or wait! VIN is 2022 32xx, so theoretically should be in the first 3300 units Rivian ships. The earliest I'll need it is June, but then again I've made it this long without one.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I've been charging all week at various stations in my path. Solid experience. 83F is my highest reading, but it is fairly cool here still. No negative comments from Tesla owners yet. Actually a couple that commented that they were excited to see new faces. @A2ZEV
Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature 1711297401801-8r

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature 1711297360212-sb

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature 1711297383369-ik

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Ugh I'm so split on whether to get one or wait! VIN is 2022 32xx, so theoretically should be in the first 3300 units Rivian ships. The earliest I'll need it is June, but then again I've made it this long without one.
Just wait. If you get to a "need" point, let me know and I'll let you borrow mine. Maybe meet up in Chehalis or something :) We can charge across from the EVgo station there ha ha ha.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I've been charging all week at various stations in my path. Solid experience. 83F is my highest reading, but it is fairly cool here still. No negative comments from Tesla owners yet. Actually a couple that commented that they were excited to see new faces. @A2ZEV
1711297401801-8r.png

1711297360212-sb.png

1711297383369-ik.png
Did you get your truck wrapped purple, or do I need to go to the optometrist?

If purple - that’s awesome. If optometrist - dammit, I hate getting old.

Interesting you hit that charge rate at your initial SOC. I’ve only seen 200+ at much lower states of charge.

Sponsored

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Did you get your truck wrapped purple, or do I need to go to the optometrist?

If purple - that’s awesome. If optometrist - dammit, I hate getting old.

Interesting you hit that charge rate at your initial SOC. I’ve only seen 200+ at much lower states of charge.
Yes, it's a wrap :)

It's interesting, I've not seen this often on EA or others, but the SC's seem to take you up to the top end before the truck's curve kicks in. Over 50% you'll still get to the 215+ range then it will creep back down. I don't know if there is a latency in truck feedback to the charger or if Tesla doesn't scale it until after it reaches max.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

So it seems A2Z is a month out now, does anyone know how long Lectron is out for shipping?

I really want to see how long of a wait I have for Rivian before I decide to risk a 3rd party.
I ordered my Lectron back when they first started pre-orders. Still don't have it

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can confirm you will see the discounted charging rate based on Tesla pricing when using plug / charge.

I was charged the lower $0.23/kWh off-peak rate when I was testing with no membership plan in place.

Plug and Charge will not use membership pricing at this time.

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature 1711300071113-qt

Rivian R1T R1S MidnightRivian's R1S Tesla Charger test session hitting speeds @ 217 kW using A2Z adapter / plug and charge feature IMG_9244

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Exactly. To use membership pricing, you have to activate the charge in the Tesla app prior to plugging in. You should always get the time variable rate on plug&charge.

Sponsored

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
I wouldn't wait. I just picked up my R1S today. Rivian delivery person told me that not everyone is getting an adapter, because "many will never need one." We're going to have to go to the Rivian website and request them manually.
My "reading between the lines" is that the free adapter from Rivian is going to be a very slow roll out.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I wouldn't wait. I just picked up my R1S today. Rivian delivery person told me that not everyone is getting an adapter, because "many will never need one." We're going to have to go to the Rivian website and request them manually.
My "reading between the lines" is that the free adapter from Rivian is going to be a very slow roll out.
For you, yes. They are prioritizing by delivery dates. I fully expect this to run the way Ford's is running (the free adapters are all coming from the same supplier). I believe @Riviot 's delivery was early so he should be in the front end.

Rivian will be sending an email next month to owners telling how to register for the free adapter.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

aren't people a little concerned that both Rivian and Tesla stated that any damage done. to the vehicle or the charger with a non-approved adapter would be the responsibility of the customer?

for my own personal needs there aren't enough Tesla v3/4 chargers that I could use anyway but I will just wait for the adapter to arrive, drop it in the frunk and use it when needed.

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just wait. If you get to a "need" point, let me know and I'll let you borrow mine. Maybe meet up in Chehalis or something :) We can charge across from the EVgo station there ha ha ha.
In late May we're headed south along the OR coast (plenty of RAN) to North Bend then in to Crater Lake and up and out to Painted Hills and Thomas Condon visitor center. That stretch from Coves Palisades - Painted Hills - Thomas Condon - Deschutes River Rec area on the Columbia is the only one that has me spooked, 264 raw miles. Other than Prineville for a top up (I hate adding charge to a pretty full battery) there are ZERO DCFC options anyway.
Sponsored