Sponsored

Need recommendation for Wide base bottle Jack !

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
We are taking a trip soon and need a bottle jack recommendation that would fit in the spare compartment of my R1s. Also, I'm planning to get a Dodge ram 1500 wheel with 275/60/20 as a spare until Rivian selling their compact spare. Will this be Ok to drive temporary with my 21" setting?

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I get wanting a wider base. You mentioned fitting in the spare storage and this one is relatively compact.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have an ARB jack base to go with a Big Red bottle jack.

I see no concern using a 275/60r20 with your 21s, I think the diameter is closer than what the compact spare is.

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
You'll need to check the dimensions, but Safejacks makes a great bottle jack base.

They also make various kits that include the base along with jack extensions.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

NDIrish

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineering Operations Manager
Clubs

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I already have the pucks from EV Sportsline... and a wide base I've used in the past (which ev's doesn't have) so their 6-ton bottle jack with puck extension feels like overkill for me;

Anyone have experience with just using this $30 12-ton jack (or similar) as an option (and using the standard pucks with it?
I don't see how the EV sportsline jack puck would sit on this Pittsburg jack? It looks like you need jackpuck from @Mark_AZR1T mentioned above.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I already have the pucks from EV Sportsline... and a wide base I've used in the past (which ev's doesn't have) so their 6-ton bottle jack with puck extension feels like overkill for me;

Anyone have experience with just using this $30 12-ton jack (or similar) as an option (and using the standard pucks with it?
Lemmie ask you something. Do you want to risk YOUR life near a 7100lb vehicle being held up by ANYTHING from Harbor Freight? Or how about it just failing when you really need it. I know HF makes some better than decent floor jacks but I also know people were injured and/or killed by their old jack stands.

Buy once, Cry once. You’re already paying $100k+ for an RIS so don’t screw around with something that really does matter when you need it. If you want a bottle jack, get one from SafeJacks and be done with it. The Big Red 8 ton jack is also a good one. BTW, SafeJacks also offers universal base plates.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
any base recommendation that would fits the EVsportline bottle jack?

NDIrish

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineering Operations Manager
Clubs

Lemmie ask you something. Do you want to risk YOUR life near a 7100lb vehicle being held up by ANYTHING from Harbor Freight? Or how about it just failing when you really need it. I know HF makes some better than decent floor jacks but I also know people were injured and/or killed by their old jack stands.

Buy once, Cry once. You’re already paying $100k+ for an RIS so don’t screw around with something that really does matter when you need it. If you want a bottle jack, get one from SafeJacks and be done with it. The Big Red 8 ton jack is also a good one. BTW, SafeJacks also offers universal base plates.
I hear ya, but cost doesn't always mean quality. I bet half the bottle jacks in the world are made from one factories parts and the price is based on the name on the sticker.

Also I wouldn't trust my life to anything holding up my vehicle and therefore take appropriate precautions.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus

Inaccurate notion. While some HF items are known to be substandard, not all are. This isn’t an affliction that HF has a monopoly on. Even brands you don’t associate with overseas manufacturing do in fact source their products from abroad, some made in the same factory HF sources theirs, and have had their own QC issues.

Ask Pro Eagle where they get their $500 3-ton from. Don’t be fooled by the flag waving packing and stickers. There’s been plenty of reviews showing HF’s $400 3-ton Badland to be just as good, and virtually identical. While we’re at it, Cat’s 3-ton big wheeled jack is very likely the same jack with different paint and sticker.

To OP, there aren’t really any wide base bottle jacks. You use something else to give them a wide base. Like ARB’s $60 jack base or one from Hi-Lift (modification may be necessary). Other options are available and easy to find via Google search.

As for safety, you follow precautionary best practices, regardless of where the jack is made. If you must be under the vehicle, before jack has chance to fail, you make sure the vehicle has something sturdy to land on and crush instead of you. Never ever rely completely on a jack. And don’t get under the vehicle if you don’t have to.

Last edited:

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I hear ya, but cost doesn't always mean quality. I bet half the bottle jacks in the world are made from one factories parts and the price is based on the name on the sticker.

Also I wouldn't trust my life to anything holding up my vehicle and therefore take appropriate precautions.
Big game soon!
ND '90
Sponsored