Sponsored

Rattles & Squeaks

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a much more noisy suspension that I would've imagined for a vehicle so lauded for quality. No steering wheel shake though. I'm told I'll hear back next week on the service plan for the first ticket I put it on delivery day and am hoping they can check to make sure everything bolted in where it should be.
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I noticed zero rattles, squeaks, odd noises, etc. during my R1T test drive in May. The truck was rock solid.

I purposely left the radio off so any odd noises could be heard during my solid 30-minute test drive on highway and city streets. The only noticeable sound was a slight wind noise at highway speeds and a slight whisper from the electric motors (normal).

I am hoping that Rivian will continue to refine production and engineer out some of the repetitive complaints voiced on this forum by the time I take delivery of my Explore trim in 2023.

Last edited:

DailyR1

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure - Limestone
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

I have a much more noisy suspension that I would've imagined for a vehicle so lauded for quality. No steering wheel shake though. I'm told I'll hear back next week on the service plan for the first ticket I put it on delivery day and am hoping they can check to make sure everything bolted in where it should be.
This is exactly how I felt when I took delivery. No shakes in the freeway but the front suspension is freaking loud and clunky. It’s been to service and checked with no results. I find it so hard to believe this is really the expected result. I’ve learned to tone it out over the months and almost justify it but it’s bad. If I hadn’t had waited so long, I would have returned any other vehicle immediately.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
So how has everyone with noisy front ends been doing? Have any solutions been found? Mine still thump/thump/thumps over larger bumps and has that chassis squeak now and then during larger chassis torsion.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Yikes. You guys are kind of freaking me out here a bit. Just got my 8 step, but wondering if I should hold off a few months to let them fix some of these issues. Eeek!!

Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
This is exactly how I felt when I took delivery. No shakes in the freeway but the front suspension is freaking loud and clunky. It’s been to service and checked with no results. I find it so hard to believe this is really the expected result. I’ve learned to tone it out over the months and almost justify it but it’s bad. If I hadn’t had waited so long, I would have returned any other vehicle immediately.
Same here.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My squeaks appear to be within spec based on a test drive with the service advisor but I haven't gotten the truck back yet so not sure.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
My squeaks appear to be within spec based on a test drive with the service advisor but I haven't gotten the truck back yet so not sure.
“Squeaks within spec”, that’s not good. Who designs and produces a vehicle that they know will squeak? Did Rivian?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
“Squeaks within spec”, that’s not good. Who designs and produces a vehicle that they know will squeak? Did Rivian?
Service department type people seem handcuffed. I wish they would pull some of these vehicles back to plant and really figure out what is going on and deploy a real solution.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Appears this video won't load for me. Would love to see if it's the same squeaking that I'm experiencing.
Try this link: drive.google.com/file/d/1Zofpx1syrkizXoP7VjyDe6Ma-PTum8MH/view?usp=drivesdk

Sponsored

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
Yes. The suspension is noisy. To noisy.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
Anyone experiencing a plastic-y grinding sound from the front active shutters when the vehicle wakes up from a deep sleep? I tried searching for “active shutter”, “shutter” etc, and didn’t see anything returned about this, and may have missed mention of it in this thread. Had mine in for service for a few things, with that being one of them. I was told it was fixed and didn’t hear anything while I was there. This morning, woke the vehicle up and the sound is definitely still there. Going to see if I can grease up the spots where the shutters connect within the grill and hopefully that helps. It’s quite a jarring sound.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Anyone experiencing a plastic-y grinding sound from the front active shutters when the vehicle wakes up from a deep sleep? I tried searching for “active shutter”, “shutter” etc, and didn’t see anything returned about this, and may have missed mention of it in this thread. Had mine in for service for a few things, with that being one of them. I was told it was fixed and didn’t hear anything while I was there. This morning, woke the vehicle up and the sound is definitely still there. Going to see if I can grease up the spots where the shutters connect within the grill and hopefully that helps. It’s quite a jarring sound.
Someone posted about a similar issue, I think it was a gasket or piece of rubber that was causing the issue. The service center ended up repairing it for them and informed them what the cause was.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Search on “louvers” instead of shutters.

Mine creaked like a nailed coffin. Then it got colder and they don’t make any noise at all now.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
My driver side back door rattles over small bumps like ripples, man holes, rail road tracks. But it’s silent if I jump a giant speed bump.

Pretty annoying. Sounds like a piece of unsecured sheet metal inside the door. (Side note, this started after they tried to better align the plastic composite under the driver side gear tunnel door (and they scratched my back door too). Careful what you ask them to adjust.)
Sponsored