First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Needed to pass some wires from the bumper to the inside of the frunk.

IMG_1083.jpg
So there's the culprit that shrunk the frunk: they've canted the fan and radiator … that's the usual way to increase the size of the radiator and could improve aero a smidge. I guess the tested cooling performance didn't come up to spec. Some owners have reported regen cooking and the air suspension pump overheating. Hopefully they're making in-line changes and will offer retrofit kits for early build vehicles.
That must have been a helluva a late stage production engineering battle … to reduce the capability of an as-shown marketing headline feature.
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Great photos! Dumb question but what's the reservoir near the top/back of the compartment? Seems a bit difficult to get to if it's for washer fluid?

Rivian R1T R1S Removal of frunk tub (front trunk): DIY how-to & pics Fluid reservoir

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Great photos! Dumb question but what's the reservoir near the top/back of the compartment? Seems a bit difficult to get to if it's for washer fluid?

Fluid reservoir.png
Brake fluid.
Washer fluid is forward.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! Guess they don't expect you to check it very often, LOL. 🤪
my (gas) car is no different, in fact it’s more difficult 😬
the panel is just attached via some ball and socket type pegs. So it just pulls off.

Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Thanks! Guess they don't expect you to check it very often, LOL. 🤪
Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Therefore you don't want to open this reservoir other than to fill/flush fluid @2 years. You check the level by looking at the transparent reservoir.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I believe you are correct after zooming in on the photo. Interesting…

1649855641656.jpeg
I think it was stated due to the location and some specs the only way to meet it was with two 6v batteries.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it was stated due to the location and some specs the only way to meet it was with two 6v batteries.
That’s been the speculation around here.
I don’t think any of the resident owners have confirmed either way yet.

1civilengr

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Touareg TDI, Honda Fit
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the information.

I think a small 12v lithium battery would fit perfectly under the cowl and help eliminate some wiring. I know the refreshed Model S now uses one. It's probably the higher cost that prevents Rivian from installing one at the factory.
My understanding is that lithium batteries will fail if you attempt to charge them at below freezing temps, so lead acid is needed for starting the system under certain conditions.

Bearmountain

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 cts, 2000 dakota r/t
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical, General Contractor
where is the 12v battery?

also any chance you can see what type of cabin air filter is there? i've been asking CS if it has a HEPA filter and they don't seem to know or how to find out.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH

also any chance you can see what type of cabin air filter is there? i've been asking CS if it has a HEPA filter and they don't seem to know or how to find out.
there's two, small 12V batteries:
Rivian R1T R1S Removal of frunk tub (front trunk): DIY how-to & pics 1650337389482

I assume the cabin air is accessed in the cabin since there's no obvious access in the frunk.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
My understanding is that lithium batteries will fail if you attempt to charge them at below freezing temps, so lead acid is needed for starting the system under certain conditions.
There are Lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4 or LFP) that claim to work in freezing weather.
Seems to me it's been years since Tesla promised to delete the 12V system altogether.
I wonder why Rivian even started with a 12V system given everything we knew about Tesla in 2018.
Also, the pair of batteries in the frunk of the R1T must be expensive and look amateurish "last minute" as if they were trying to do something different, ran out of time to freeze (ironically) design and went with this rather goofy mess of cables. I imagine the next gen R1 and the R2 (whatever it is) will have 1/10th the number of cables and plumbing. Maybe even the R1 with LFP max pack will be the opportunity to cull all the cabling.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There are Lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4 or LFP) that claim to work in freezing weather.
Seems to me it's been years since Tesla promised to delete the 12V system altogether.
I wonder why Rivian even started with a 12V system given everything we knew about Tesla in 2018.
Also, the pair of batteries in the frunk of the R1T must be expensive and look amateurish "last minute" as if they were trying to do something different, ran out of time to freeze (ironically) design and went with this rather goofy mess of cables. I imagine the next gen R1 and the R2 (whatever it is) will have 1/10th the number of cables and plumbing. Maybe even the R1 with LFP max pack will be the opportunity to cull all the cabling.
there are safety critical systems that must remain working/powered even after the high-voltage system is disconnected by the contactors disengaging or the pyro-fuse blowing. So there does need to be a separate, lower-voltage electrical system. I’m sure some manufacturers have explored alternatives to batteries, such as super-capacitors. There are trade-offs, of course. But I don’t think we’ll see the low-voltage system go away, anytime soon.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
there are safety critical systems that must remain working/powered even after the high-voltage system is disconnected by the contactors disengaging or the pyro-fuse blowing. So there does need to be a separate, lower-voltage electrical system. I’m sure some manufacturers have explored alternatives to batteries, such as super-capacitors. There are trade-offs, of course. But I don’t think we’ll see the low-voltage system go away, anytime soon.
That makes sense and would require some secondary system. Tesla said they had figure this out in terms of DOT compliance and as a matter of emergency responders and various trouble scenarios. The main objective is to get rid of 12V and have only one power/data wiring system, wireless everything basically, just run power to doors, use modular wireless for everything from wipers to cameras, probably a 24V or 48V system so power wiring can be much lighter, then a small backup battery and some capacitors to keep the vehicle alive but safely isolate the traction battery in the event of damage.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Definitely 2 12v batteries under there.
Rivian R1T R1S Removal of frunk tub (front trunk): DIY how-to & pics PXL_20220426_230452328

Shoot, forgot to check the filter. But it looks like this.
Rivian R1T R1S Removal of frunk tub (front trunk): DIY how-to & pics PXL_20220426_230040062

Also, any speculations as to what those holes in the middle of my pic are for? My finger didn't fit 👉
Sponsored