First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
Rivian CS just called. I submitted a ticket to get my truck set up for my new wheels and tires. Going from 21's to aftermarket 20's with stock size tires (275/65R20.) They said they won't calibrate aftermarket wheels.

FYI:
1. The speedometer is actually MORE accurate with the 275/65R20's according to my GPS.
2. My main concern is with range estimation based on the weight, size, and increased rolling resistance of an all terrain (mud terrain in my case) tire versus the stock 21's.
3. These are a prototype of the Thuren Fab wheels available here; https://www.thurenfabrication.com/collections/wheel-r1t-22-23/products/rivian-deca-hd-20-inch-wheel
4. They came with used (about 500 miles) BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3's in 275/65R20.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian won't calibrate aftermarket wheels Sprout's 20's
Sponsored

Last edited:

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I'd love to see the ability to select OE wheel tire combinations at a minimum, then, at least you could get close with after-market. Do other EVs have this sort of functionality through a user menu?

AlpMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, 4Runner
Occupation
Doing stuff
Size difference is only -0.3% - are you sure they even have different algorithms for the different wheels?

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian won't calibrate aftermarket wheels 1676486865682

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Size difference is only -0.3% - are you sure they even have different algorithms for the different wheels?
Yes, they definitely have different config settings for 20/21/22.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Rivian CS just called. I submitted a ticket to get my truck set up for my new wheels and tires. Going from 21's to aftermarket 20's with stock size tires (275/65R20.) They said they won't calibrate aftermarket wheels.

Sprout's 20's.jpg's 20's.jpg
This is the best looking Aftermarket wheel and tire combo I have seen. Is that "High" ride height? or Off-Road?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes, they definitely have different config settings for 20/21/22.
It's entirely possible Rivian's configuration settings accommodate more than just the overall diameter of the tires. Weight and rotational inertia could all matter as well.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sounds like a load of BS. That does look good...what tires did you go with?

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX

Those tires look great! Are they Nitto Ridge Grapplers?

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
It's entirely possible Rivian's configuration settings accommodate more than just the overall diameter of the tires. Weight and rotational inertia could all matter as well.
This.

I had mine in for service and they recalibrated my settings on their own because I had swapped my 22s for 21s. I asked why since the diameters are basically the same. Answer was it calibrates the suspension and cameras as well for the different weights.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I guess I'm kind of derailing this thread, so I'll apologize for that. But, this is a very interesting topic.

First off, really like the look of Sprout's truck, including the wheels.

So, if Sprout can't get his truck calibrated for the rims and tires he has chosen, what are the consequences? Speedometer readings? Tire pressure readings?

CommodoreAmiga states that there are separate configurations for the various official Rivian wheels. I gather that re-calibrating can only take place at a service centre, not through the in-vehicle software. If I have two sets of wheels, say 20" AT for winter/off-road and 21" for paved roads, does this mean every time I switch between these wheels, I have to book into a service centre to have them change the calibration setting?

If true, that's annoying. Is that a setup common to all electric vehicles?

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Looks like Rivian is taking lessons from John Deere. May be they will put a chip in wheels that prevents the truck from moving if aftermarket wheels are detected😐

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
CommodoreAmiga states that there are separate configurations for the various official Rivian wheels. I gather that re-calibrating can only take place at a service centre, not through the in-vehicle software. If I have two sets of wheels, say 20" AT for winter/off-road and 21" for paved roads, does this mean every time I switch between these wheels, I have to book into a service centre to have them change the calibration setting?
At this time, yes.

Yes/no. Different brands handle it differently. Some brands provide no OEM-endorsed way for the end user to change wheel configurations (similar to Rivian). Others provide it as a setting in their center screens.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's common for vehicles where the owner changes tires to ones with a different overall tire diameter. There's more to the calibration change than just that variable though.

Some vehicles support letting the customers change the values on their own but I've never owned a vehicle that did without external computer access.

If the OP would have put 55 series tires on, there wouldn't have been a significant enough change to do anything.
Sponsored