First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1S, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Banker
I’m just shocked that recalibration requires a SC visit at this time. I‘m waiting on my R1S, and currently swap the 21” summers for 19” winters on my Model S each year and the car detects the change and asks me to update the calibration. Even if it didn’t, Tesla has an option in the service menu to recalibrate yourself. That’s going to be such a pain to have to schedule a SC visit each time and IMHO a big miss on Rivian’s part.
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Rivian needs to get off this service center crap. There should be a couple of buttons to push to reconfigure for a different size tire. If Tesla can do it, so can Rivian. We don't use any snow tires, but I would be really jacked up if I had to make a 600 mile round trip to get some dolt at the service center to stroke a few computer keys to make the change. From what I have read about service center backlogs, the snow season would be over by the time I could get an appointment.

By the way, those black aftermarket wheels and aggressive tires look great on that Forest Green R1T.

Brian

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Can we stop calling it calibration?

They literally select one of three entries - 20,21,22 and commit. It’s a digital dip switch.

Which makes it all the more infuriating they require a visit to change it; my only thought is they want to validate torque specs on the wheel lugs maybe?

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Exactly. I thought it was a simple request.
You might want to shift the discussion here to something like “anyone nearby willing to temporarily swap your stock 20” wheels for my sick custom setup so that I can get Rivian to recalibrate it?”

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Looks like Rivian is taking lessons from John Deere. May be they will put a chip in wheels that prevents the truck from moving if aftermarket wheels are detected😐
I love my truck but if Rivian pulls that garbage it will be the last R1 product I ever by. I'll be goddamned if they tell me what wheels I can run on my own truck. Once that balance transfer hit and my paperwork was signed the truck in my garage became mine.

Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I love my truck but if Rivian pulls that garbage it will be the last R1 product I ever by. I'll be goddamned if they tell me what wheels I can run on my own truck. Once that balance transfer hit and my paperwork was signed the truck in my garage became mine.
Sadly there are hints in this direction. Not supporting AA/CP is part of this. I still want Google Maps and Amazon Music. There were recent reports that Rivian won't sell 20 inch rims only if truck was not bought with 20s. It with tires or nothing. They disabled wifi while drinking, per someone on the forum.

They got the money when I bought it. Don't be greedy. If they had charged 1-2k more upfront, people don't care as much. Don't try to nickel and dime your customers.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Sadly there are hints in this direction. Not supporting AA/CP is part of this. I still want Google Maps and Amazon Music. There were recent reports that Rivian won't sell 20 inch rims only if truck was not bought with 20s. It with tires or nothing. They disabled wifi while drinking, per someone on the forum.

They got the money when I bought it. Don't be greedy. If they had charged 1-2k more upfront, people don't care as much. Don't try to nickel and dime your customers.
When I called a couple months ago they were willing to sell me 20's with no tires and I have 21's stock. Idk what you mean by disabled WiFi while drinking but the not supporting AA and carplay are nothing like this at all. That's to protect data revenue limiting wheels doesn't gain Rivian anything.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Very well put. The pervasive attitude at Rivian seems to be that all of their customers are automotive morons that are not capable enough to even install the spare tire in their truck. How insulting!!! I am also sick of their crap. They need to wake up and do it soon.

Brian

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
When I called a couple months ago they were willing to sell me 20's with no tires and I have 21's stock. Idk what you mean by disabled WiFi while drinking but the not supporting AA and carplay are nothing like this at all. That's to protect data revenue limiting wheels doesn't gain Rivian anything.
Cars can connect to wifi when parked. But the feature is disabled while driving. This is to prevent owners from using a Wi-Fi hotspot. Tesla was the same, but changed their policy to use WiFi hotspots while driving.

Regarding rims, this is part of the problem. We seem to get different answers based on time of month and the person we are talking to. There will always be edge cases, but buying rims should not be one. Especially since there is a grand total of 1 compatible tire for 21s. The can easily list rims in gear shop.

This is a great car and I will keep it for 10 years, if it keeps working. We do buy a new car every 5-6 years with 2 cars in household and it will be decision time in 4 years.

OP
OP
Sprout

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
You might want to shift the discussion here to something like “anyone nearby willing to temporarily swap your stock 20” wheels for my sick custom setup so that I can get Rivian to recalibrate it?”
Ok. I'll bite. Anyone in Pocatello, Idaho want to switch their stock 20" wheels & tires for my sick custom (or stock 21") setup for what will probably take a month to schedule and get to the nearest SC (180 miles away.) Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

At 44 pounds for rim, seems like not the best for an EV, guessing the range is only 230-250 miles, any trip logs yet?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
"disabled WiFi while drinking but the not supporting AA"
LOL...out of context

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Very well put. The pervasive attitude at Rivian seems to be that all of their customers are automotive morons that are not capable enough to even install the spare tire in their truck. How insulting!!! I am also sick of their crap. They need to wake up and do it soon.

Brian
The spare tire is a permanently installed accessory and requires a new door jam sticker with the added weight (reduces available payload).

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
To revive a dead horse. At Rivian for a service appointment and put in for the wheel calibration going from 21s to 20s. Apparently a directive is out to not program unless with Rivian OEM rims and tires, though a grey area exists since I am running aftermarket 20s, but the stock 275/65r20

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

To revive a dead horse. At Rivian for a service appointment and put in for the wheel calibration going from 21s to 20s. Apparently a directive is out to not program unless with Rivian OEM rims and tires, though a grey area exists since I am running aftermarket 20s, but the stock 275/65r20
Thanks, ask about the 115 vs 116 load rating if you can!
Sponsored