Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

This happened to me this morning. It was the first time it happened. I WAS NOT using Driver+ (only cruise control). I tapped the brakes and it went away and didn't come back.

I did go over some rough road at the time, maybe it picked up on that.

I was only driving at 71mph (why 71 and not 70....because 71 is 1 more than 70....ala Nigel Tuffnel).
Sponsored

Jakelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
In my experience, there are several things that cause highway assist and or adaptive cruise control to disengage. I have gotten the "take control" warning while driving in thick fog, snow, rain, curves in the road, obscured white lines on the shoulder or the centerline, and when there is a temporary loss of data that the system needs to properly function.... Who knows what causes that? It's normal and as long as you are not "asleep at the wheel" just disconnect using the stalk or brake and reengage. If the system still has a problem you will have to actually control the car manually, God forbid. I'm highly dependent on all things Driver+ so it bothers me when it fails but it has always come back.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This happened to me this morning for the first time. HWA engaged, speed set to 70, hands fully on thw wheel. Just the 'Take Control Now' warning and instant disengagement. It didn't drop to ACC or give me a chance to react. Just completely shut off.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Had the same thing happen on Saturday. Driver+ also would not re-engage after wards. It said Driver+ would be available on my next drive.

Had to stop, and shut truck off, and it would continue.

Also, be VERY cautious in construction zones. I was going West on I-70 at Ward Road, and the highway does a bit of zig-zig, and the Driver+ just kept going straight, if I had not been paying attention, it would have put me into a K-Rail.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

This is not abnormal.

The stretch of highway I use for my commute is (for some unknown reason) unmapped in certain areas. So, the system freaks out (at the same places) consistently.

It HAS gotten better with the most recent updates (less of this stretch seems to be unavailable for Highway Assist), but there are a few areas that have some very faint lines, which I think also throws it off.

It's just a typical every day occurrence for me, and I pay no extra mind to it. I just push the stalk up and immediately back down which disables highway assist and then enables adaptive cruise.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Had the same thing happen on Saturday. Driver+ also would not re-engage after wards. It said Driver+ would be available on my next drive.

Had to stop, and shut truck off, and it would continue.

Also, be VERY cautious in construction zones. I was going West on I-70 at Ward Road, and the highway does a bit of zig-zig, and the Driver+ just kept going straight, if I had not been paying attention, it would have put me into a K-Rail.
Yup...I always disengage HWA around construction zones if lanes have changed at all. It wants to continue with the pre-mapped info instead of using the cameras, seemingly. Really annoying they can't do the lane centering stuff on camera alone.

OP
OP

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Did you have Driver+ engaged? Maybe your vehicle briefly exceeded the 80mph CC limit?
[/QUOTE

Interesting. No driver+
Cruise was at 80 mph. Maybe we caught a tail wind to breach 81 mph.

Where do I find more about this limit and Driver+....

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Seems the upper limit is 85mph, not 80mph as I had mentioned.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Mine rarely does that, but it does happen from time to time with no obvious cause. Sometimes it is obvious - a construction zone that shifts the lanes over so they no longer match what D+ expected - but I've had it do it on stretches of road that worked perfectly earlier the same day, in perfectly nice daytime weather with no traffic.

Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
@EdwardM2005 and others: From Day 1, our R1S (delivered 2024-02-16, 1228 miles on odometer now) has disengaged from Cruise Control at random times, averaging once very 15 miles.

I don't use optional features, just Cruise Control. It appears to be only a Cruise Control problem.

The full warning message (in red, at bottom of driver screen) is two lines: "Take control now / System fault detected." No other systems appear to be affected. I can take control smoothly and safely, even in traffic. I can re-start Cruise Control as soon as I want.

I cannot detect any patterns of speed, weather, or traffic that make this disengagement any more or less likely.

So far I haven't reached out to Rivian to fix this, but I hope it's just a software error. If your problem is like mine, please keep this thread updated -- thanks!

OP
OP

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Thank you for all the responses.
Seems this is fairly well known and as described, the system needs a lot more tweaking in the code base to improve action responses and interpretation of the road and conditions.
Yes to the question --> both hands are on the wheel because door arm rest and center console allows god arm support and comfort for gripping the wheel.

Road condition. Good question! At best we drive that road once a quarter. Going down to Denver, yes that could be twice to 5 times a month and driver assistance on I70 for those 50+ miles would never be my choice.

Again, thank you for all the comments.

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
There seems to be three levels of warnings. There is a gentle reminder to keep your hands on the wheel. There is a sterner warning that you're not paying attention and highway assist is about to disengage. And there is the glaring red box saying to take control NOW. It's the equivalent of a shout. I always take control, I've never waited to see what happens. I've never seen a message that says "System fault detected" like Dave Cundiff. A system fault sounds scary, like an internal problem. There is another level of warning. There is the red "BRAKE NOW" message bar across the top and it might actually apply the brakes. I don't know for sure.

Sometimes when I have cruise control only enabled, I will get a message saying I need to keep my hands on the wheel. I was steering the car, but my attention might have wandered. When I get a "Take control now" message during Highway Assist, there is usually an obvious reason. It's bad visibility or construction or an unmapped section. It could even be dirt on the sensors.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Thanks, @jwanderson88!

In another thread, it was speculated that wheel and tire discrepancies might explain some system faults. I think my Cruise Control cut out this way even before I replaced OEM 21" wheels/tires with Rivian 22" Bright wheels and Michelin winter tires.

I'll reach out to Rivian and see how concerned they are.

Very best wishes!

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
It can be anything… camera couldn’t see clearly, lines on the road not clear, road not mapped, coming up on certain intersections… whatever the cars doesn’t know what to do! Very normal.
Sponsored