Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I'm running the latest 2024.03 I think the issue will remain with the fob as BT is how the fob also functions. So there's no way to use it like a conventional key fob on demand.

Proximity at the driver door could be implemented creatively with a Rivian's key card. If you have a case on your phone, store the card inside and just swipe the phone against the door handle or swipe your wallet. I have to adapt my wallet as it is metal and that blocks or the other NFC cards are confusing the car. If that works for me, I'll lobotomize the Rivian app permanently so it can only communicate over cell. The fuse(s) for the car BT modules runs some other stuff from memory like the compressor etc.
That's the other option I would be happy with, using my phone for NFC instead of a card. I'm a caseless phone user though but do carry my card in my wallet as backup.

We have tons of options to lock/unlock which I love. Just wish there were ways to disable ones we don't want at times to save battery. Maybe phone NFC will come at some point.
Sponsored

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thanks. Are you confident that sandboxing the Rivian app will work? I think if Bluetooth is on, your phone and car will try to connect to each other regardless of the app.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I have android. Far as I can see the app creates a temporary pairing when it sees/surveys the car but yes that will have to be looked at.

rivmok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS3, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I have proximity lock disabled at home and was gone for travel last week. Looking at the chart below the purple color is sleep vs blue ready state. You can clearly see when I was home with my phone nearby and the vehicle activity increased significantly.
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 1709989100912

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I have proximity lock disabled at home and was gone for travel last week. Looking at the chart below the purple color is sleep vs blue ready state. You can clearly see when I was home with my phone nearby and the vehicle activity increased significantly.
1709989100912.png
Sorry if you mentioned this but Bluetooth on or off? App running or not?

Sponsored

rivmok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS3, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

Sorry if you mentioned this but Bluetooth on or off? App running or not?
This is with Bluetooth on, If I turn bluetooth off the activity stops. I believe the app was not running for the first few days upon returning.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
This is with Bluetooth on, If I turn bluetooth off the activity stops. I believe the app was not running for the first few days upon returning.
Looks like the 2024.03.02 update did not resolve the BT issue mentioned below.
  • Fixed a rare issue that increased overnight range loss when Proximity Locking was set to Lock Only at home, the vehicle was at home, and the phone was within Bluetooth range of the vehicle.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Looks like the 2024.03.02 update did not resolve the BT issue mentioned below.
  • Fixed a rare issue that increased overnight range loss when Proximity Locking was set to Lock Only at home, the vehicle was at home, and the phone was within Bluetooth range of the vehicle.
It was probably an issue that had greatly increased drain, not this "normal" behavior problem.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

1709989100912.png
When you say you have proximity lock disabled at home, are you referring to the "lock/unlock, lock only, off" option? This option won't matter much for vampire drain unless the key is actually unlocking the car and powering it up. I didn't include that scenario because I feel it was obvious to everyone. There was a bad bug in that feature but I feel it has been normalized by Rivian in the last update. Your graph so super helpful but I think you are operating under scenario 2 while you were gone and scenario 3 when home.

I am referring to turning off the proximity feature entirely. This would put you in scenario 4 with the least wake up I think. If you introduce a BT key, the car will still pair and wake but only because you did that, not because the car is randomly polling.

Can you test this scenario with electrifi for us? Toggle off the entire proximity feature and make sure no keys can connect.

In this scenario I don't lose any miles over night. Occasionally I think it drops one mile of range due to the battery cooling and sometimes that mile actually comes back when I start driving as the pack warms a little. In other words a cold battery registers lower voltage, not that something was consumed from it. In any case, no loss of percentage.

Last edited:

rivmok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi RS3, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

When you say you have proximity lock disabled at home, are you referring to the "lock/unlock, lock only, off" option? This option won't matter much for vampire drain unless the key is actually unlocking the car and powering it up. I didn't include that scenario because I feel it was obvious to everyone. There was a bad bug in that feature but I feel it has been normalized by Rivian in the last update. Your graph so super helpful but I think you are operating under scenario 2 while you were gone and scenario 3 when home.

I am referring to turning off the proximity feature entirely. This would put you in scenario 4 with the least wake up I think. If you introduce a BT key, the car will still pair and wake but only because you did that, not because the car is randomly polling.

Can you test this scenario with electrifi for us? Toggle off the entire proximity feature and make sure no keys can connect.

In this scenario I don't lose any miles over night. Occasionally I think it drops one mile of range due to the battery cooling and sometimes that mile actually comes back when I start driving as the pack warms a little. In other words a cold battery registers lower voltage, not that something was consumed from it. In any case, no loss of percentage.
Proximity is set to "off" at home and yes it still affects the vampire drain, as you can see the phone is still frequently waking the vehicle even though it is not unlocking it.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Proximity is set to "off" at home and yes it still affects the vampire drain, as you can see the phone is still frequently waking the vehicle even though it is not unlocking it.
I'm not referring to that option. This one which regrettably does more than the other other:
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 20240309_150755

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
My 2023 R1T sat for 4 full days this week so I figured it would be a good test for Vamp. drain.

GG off, Prox off, BT off, Service Mode on, Camp Mode on, never had PAAK enabled on my phone. Did not open phone app during the 4-day sleep. Did not open/unlock vehicle for 4 full days.

4.5kWh lost over 96 hours according to Trip A odometer.

1.1kWh/day which matches what I have been seeing since last fall.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
My 2023 R1T sat for 4 full days this week so I figured it would be a good test for Vamp. drain.

GG off, Prox off, BT off, Service Mode on, Camp Mode on, never had PAAK enabled on my phone. Did not open phone app during the 4-day sleep. Did not open/unlock vehicle for 4 full days.

4.5kWh lost over 96 hours according to Trip A odometer.

1.1kWh/day which matches what I have been seeing since last fall.
Yup, just seems anywhere from 1-2 kWh's is just part of owning an R1 unfortunately. Really hope this is fixed on the R2+ program.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
My R1T sat for 15 days while I was out of the country in February. Temps ranged from 40-60 degrees. When I left, it had 70 SoC and when I returned it had 57%.

I have proximity lock turned off at home and now that it's warmed up some more it loses <1% per day. it'll sit for two night at the same % SoC.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I had my R1S serviced in Eastvale, CA and one of my complaints was constant waking every 2ish hrs for 45min-1hr (GG, etc off) and was originally seeing about 2-3% drain, but subsequent drain after recent FW dropped to 1ish% -- confirmed using Electrafi. They diagnosed and found that the 12V battery kept dropping to 11V -- my build has only one 12V battery. They replaced the 12V battery and am now seeing the vehicle sleep for 6ish hrs and wake for an hour. Initial drain is now showing 0.7%, definitely improved. I suspect that my 12V battery was on its way out. Sucks for a vehicle that is 8mo old.

Glad I had the data to prove to them that something was wrong and they didn't fight me on it. I'd say for anyone that is seeing short sleep cycles to report to customer service, you can cite my service experience with the issue.
Sponsored