Sponsored

Camp Speaker Love-Hate Relationship

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

After owning my R1T for 18 months, I don’t have much to complain about. I love the Camp Speaker when it works, but most of the time it’s a big disappointment. On a recent four day camping trip with the truck I was determined to figure this thing out. I took more time to read the manual (again) with mixed results. Here’s my list of issues.

Bluetooth connectivity. Typically I would like to use the camp speaker about once or twice per month to play music from my phone. I’ve given up on this because every time it’s a difficult chore to get it to connect. The best workaround I’ve found is to tell my phone “forget this device” and then re-establish the BT connection from scratch. Rather than do this, I’ve resorted to grabbing my old trusty Sony BT speaker, which connects instantly when turned on and works every time without any of this extra work required. But I’d rather use my Rivian speaker because its sound quality is much better.

On the camping trip I used the speaker a lot for the first day and had better luck re-connecting my phone several times in the same day. It was great. But it still wasn’t flawless and required the full “forget this device” and re-connection from scratch one time.

Mystery buttons. The camp speaker doesn’t have the usual “Power” button that you’d expect. Instead it has a “0” button which the manual calls the “Action” button. I often struggle to get it to turn on and stay on while I attempt to get it connected. I acknowledge that I could be the problem here, but keep in mind that I’ve read the manual several times, and I own numerous other BT devices that I have no such problems with.

According to the manual, to perform various tasks some of the Camp Speaker’s buttons need to be held down for 2 seconds, and others for 3 seconds. How am I supposed to remember this? Based on my experience, it seems that the buttons recognize a command when they’re released, and they don’t always provide any feedback when they’ve received the command. If you hold a 2 second button for 3 seconds, you don’t get what you asked for. I could be wrong about some of this, because it’s all mysterious.

I have no problem with the way some of my Rivian’s buttons are not labeled, such as those on the steering wheel. But on the Camp Speaker it’s frustrating trying to figure out what vague symbols like “0” mean when I can’t get it to work. For something that’s not used regularly, more clearly labeled buttons would help. If/when I figure out how to operate this thing consistently, I might print instructions on a label and stick it on the bottom. I’ve never had to do this with any other device.

Lantern rarely works. I found the Camp Speaker’s lantern super handy on the picnic table at night. But getting it to turn on was a chore. Sometimes it would work as expected, but most of the time it wouldn’t turn on. So I ended up using another electric lantern.

Charging. On my camping trip where I was determined to use the Camp Speaker, I could only use it for the first day because after that I couldn’t recharge it. The manual says that it’ll recharge in its dock “as the vehicle drives”. But because I was not driving for several days, it wouldn’t recharge in the dock. The manual also says that the speaker can be recharged through its USB-C port. I tried this, using an iPad charging block, plugged in to the truck’s 110 outlets, which were switched on. The speaker continuously made noises as if it were turning on & off every minute or so, which drove everyone nuts. I put it in the gear tunnel plugged in while it did this for several hours, hoping that it would charge up, but it didn’t. So I had no way to re-charge the speaker after one of four days of camping, and was forced to give up on it. It seems like a no brainer to allow the speaker to charge in the dock without driving, at least while in camp mode.

I wish this thing worked more consistently, because I love it when it does. This is probably why it frustrates me SO much.
Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Agree with your assessment. The other thing is the random BT connects to my phone while the speaker is docked. I'll see music app show it playing on my iPhone and i have to go into BT and disconnect and forget it until the next time it works.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Agreed. I like it a lot on the rare times that I use it. Thankfully I let one of my friends younger and much smarter wife control it most of the time. Us old guys can't figure out the stupid buttons on the thing. 😆

OP
OP
dp351

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Agree with your assessment. The other thing is the random BT connects to my phone while the speaker is docked. I'll see music app show it playing on my iPhone and i have to go into BT and disconnect and forget it until the next time it works.
I have this happen also, but I think it’s a different Bluetooth issue, not related to the Camp Speaker. For me, it happens when I open a door of the truck while my phone is connected to another BT device, and the truck takes over the BT. Sometimes it happens when I just get near the truck. This is especially frustrating when it interrupts a phone call.

My workaround for this is to change the truck’s audio to radio instead of BT, which is where I normally have it. This is not convenient, but I have to do something when I’m around the truck, such as working in the garage at home.

This problem is the truck’s BT connection being anxious to connect & do its job. I like this when I’m driving, but not when I’m not. So I understand why this is not as easily solved.

One helpful solution would be if the truck would figure out that it’s not time to take over BT just because I opened a passenger door.

Sponsored

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

Has anyone figured out how to power it off. If I hold the action button down for a few seconds it appears to power down. But the next day when I go to turn it on the power is dead.
I also noticed if you hit the mute button it stays lit up after the speaker is powered down so it makes me think it never really turns completely off. Any other speaker I own will hold a charge when powered off but my Rivian speaker doesn’t do that.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Agreed I like the idea and the light I also think it sounds great. But yes needs a huge software update.

GoodbyeR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, R1T
Occupation
- Business Owner
Same results as the OP, resorted to "forget this device" every time the speaker is turned off.

f1racer328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Tube Driver
Same here, have zero issues with it except that it pairs to my phone randomly all the time, and starts pumpin out music at 4am.

So I have also resorted to unpairing/forgetting it on my Bluetooth settings.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Occasionally I was experiencing the "Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep... Where is that noise coming from?" issue with the camp speaker where I'd have to reset it.

Then I figured I'd simply disable it, and I haven't had an issue since then.

As long as it doesn't do the "beep, beep" then I'll just leave it be.

Hopefully the time will come when there is a lock box (that locks via the UI) available the slot the camp speaker goes into so I can get that, and I can sell the camp speaker.

Personally I'd rather have a flashlight in each door.

Reactions: sub

Sponsored

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
The one time I tried using mine the battery was dead. Yes, I charged it fully when I got the vehicle back in September. Somewhere along the way it stopped charging or something. Pretty useless accessory IMO.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Is a Hate-Hate relationship for me. There isn't any love. The vehicle would be better without it.

Rae11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024 Quad
Holding down the Bluetooth button on the back turns it off.

Quickest way I have found is, once it is on, let it sleep on its own. After a while it will go into sleep mode and the lights will go off. Then when you want to wake it, hold down the circle button on the front.

WPRogersR1S

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Occasionally I was experiencing the "Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep... Where is that noise coming from?" issue with the camp speaker where I'd have to reset it.

Then I figured I'd simply disable it, and I haven't had an issue since then.

As long as it doesn't do the "beep, beep" then I'll just leave it be.

Hopefully the time will come when there is a lock box (that locks via the UI) available the slot the camp speaker goes into so I can get that, and I can sell the camp speaker.

Personally I'd rather have a flashlight in each door.
Sponsored