Sponsored

Longevity of tires between 20s, 21s, and 22s?

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I’m about 11k miles in on the 21’s with mild driving on freeways, but also live in a canyon that I have to drive a couple miles in and out of each day. I dont drive fast or push it around corners, but the fronts are definitely wearing quicker than the rears… I dont have a tread gauge, but compared to the spare, my guess is Im replacing the tires at 20k miles max. Also, I rotated at 8k miles. At this rate it looks like tires will be almost a yearly thing… which kinda sucks. My old commuter, a GX470 that was built for overlanding, had KO2s that I replaced at 45k and that thing saw a lot of freeway, canyon and off road time.

Anecdotally our model 3 SR+ made it to 30k miles on the OEM tires before I replaced them, which is not far off the Rivian since it weighs so much more
Do you often use Conserve or drive with broken regen high?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I did not check when I got my R1S but specs say 8mm or 10/32 new.

I have 5800 miles, a lot of highway and conserve mode on highway, I just checked and it looks like pretty even wear and sitting at 9/32 rear and 8.75/32 front. A lot better than I expected but again a lot of freeway and probably 2/3rds of the miles freeway was wet, that might be part of the minimal wear. Assuming I can go to 4/32 that would put me in the 30-35k range. I’ll see now that I am back in SoCal heading into dry seasons and heat I’ll see how much that changes.

For reference I would get around 30k out of tires on my Model S.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

This is why I’m switching to the 20’s when the time comes… what’s another 2-3k for the better wheels ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
paying the extra for the 20" wheels will pay itself off after a few tires changes on the 21s.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
paying the extra for the 20" wheels will pay itself off after a few tires changes on the 21s.
Not really if you’re sticking with OEM 20” replacements tho— tirerack has them as less than $10 cheaper than OEM 21”.

What AT’s are people replacing them that doesn’t destroy range? BFG KO2 are 10# heavier, assume that’ll kill range. And those are still in the $400+ a tire range.

Sponsored

GZR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
I did not check when I got my R1S but specs say 8mm or 10/32 new.

I have 5800 miles, a lot of highway and conserve mode on highway, I just checked and it looks like pretty even wear and sitting at 9/32 rear and 8.75/32 front. A lot better than I expected but again a lot of freeway and probably 2/3rds of the miles freeway was wet, that might be part of the minimal wear. Assuming I can go to 4/32 that would put me in the 30-35k range. I’ll see now that I am back in SoCal heading into dry seasons and heat I’ll see how much that changes.

For reference I would get around 30k out of tires on my Model S.
30k would be awesome for the 22s

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
30k would be awesome for the 22s
I agree but I’m sure once the weather heats up and the dry roads here in SoCal it will probably not be that good, we will see. 🤞🏻

MCRNGR

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Administrator
Data Points.

I have 7,300 on my R1T and doing first rotation now. Before adjustment: FL 5/5.75/4, FR 4/5.25/4.75, BL 6/7/6, BR 5.75/7/7 as in direction of travel.

2k miles are highway at 30% conserve mode. The remainder of the miles are mostly daily commute in all season Buffalo, NY weather. (I will have to say that during the blizzard this last year the 21s were awesome and I was like the only truck out there that could make it to the ER for my neighbor, everyone else was abandoned on the road.)

Tire pressures consistently between 46 -50 PSI cold.

I suspect that I will be replacing end of life at about 16k or so. :(

As a result, I am considering getting a pair of 20” ATs just prior to the winter (even though the 21”s were admirable in the worst conditions we have here) just for added winter safety and looks while stretching the 21s through next summer….

Anyone have similar data?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I have about 15k on my 20's and while they are holding up well, they are starting to get loud AF. It's almost to the point that I want to replace them because they are making driving unpleasant.

Zwain

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Mortgage Broker
Clubs

21’s here, and probably enjoyed launch mode too much, but I need new front tires after 10k. Not happy about it all, considering changing to 20’s so I have more tire options in the future. But I have the car at the service center to see if camber or allgnment was part of the issue too. Never knew you could burn threw tires at 10k…

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I have about 26K on my 20's. I haven't rotated them as I should have. I 'm a little more than 1/2 way thru the front times. The rear tires have plenty of tread left. Most of the miles have come from my 95 mile round trip to work. I only use conserve with I drive up to Seattle from Salem to visit my son.

AfroRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I ended up with 22s Sport Brights (its what kept coming up in the shop). I'll probably be driving around a lot in sport (coming in from an Audi A7), so I'm curious if I should really be looking at replacing with 20s (picking up the R1S on Wednesday) long term or if it's going to make much difference.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My other cars burn through tyres at around 8-9k so, anything over 20k sounds great. It sounds like the R1 is eating up tyres like sports cars because of its capability 0-60 etc and heavy weight.

There are some good threads here about the 20" switching to AS. The only issue is that the tyre of choice seems to have a lower load rating than what Rivian recommends. The other 20" choices appear to be very heavy.

Ashtothexo

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Fintech
Clubs

I am admittedly overdue on my first tire rotation and went in today at 8,200 miles and was advised to get new tires, at least for the front two if I didn't want to go for all 4 right now. I couldn't believe it. I have 21" road tires. We have driven to SD and back once from Phx and up to Fossil Creek (an hour-ish) and back in Conserve Mode but otherwise I drive in Standard. If I had rotated them at 5k would it have saved me from having to replace so early? This is wild if I need new tires every 5k-10k miles. Also, is it a bad idea to have new front tires and not buy new back tires yet? I'm not very knowledgable about this but I was too shocked to think through this all too well and ordered just the 2 through discount tire. Obviously we don't want the car to be terribly uneven but couldn't stomach buying 4 tires so soon. Maybe I should have? I could still do that. They said a guy who didnt rotate his at all was down to the metal rims by 12k, which is nuts he was still driving it at that point, but that's weird.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I am admittedly overdue on my first tire rotation and went in today at 8,200 miles and was advised to get new tires, at least for the front two if I didn't want to go for all 4 right now. I couldn't believe it. I have 21" road tires. We have driven to SD and back once from Phx and up to Fossil Creek (an hour-ish) and back in Conserve Mode but otherwise I drive in Standard. If I had rotated them at 5k would it have saved me from having to replace so early? This is wild if I need new tires every 5k-10k miles. Also, is it a bad idea to have new front tires and not buy new back tires yet? I'm not very knowledgable about this but I was too shocked to think through this all too well and ordered just the 2 through discount tire. Obviously we don't want the car to be terribly uneven but couldn't stomach buying 4 tires so soon. Maybe I should have? I could still do that. They said a guy who didnt rotate his at all was down to the metal rims by 12k, which is nuts he was still driving it at that point, but that's weird.
I rotated my 22 Sports at 5k and just replaced all 4 at 10,600 miles. So, rotation might have bought you a little extra time but not much. I did not buy another set of the Riv Elec Pirellis. Went with Conti Terrain Contact HT instead. Hopefully will get a few extra miles out of them but, even if I don't, they're almost half the price of the OE Pirellis and still a really good tire.

All that said, my alignment seems a bit off as the front right corner was wearing a little faster than the other 3 - symptom of too much toe on that corner. Based on my tire wear pattern which was otherwise pretty even, I'd say I could have driven another 2k miles on that set of tires if properly aligned. Of course, toe may be off on all 4 corners just worse at front right. I'll have a better idea after my alignment.
Sponsored