Sponsored

Longevity of tires between 20s, 21s, and 22s?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i've never owned an electric vehicle but i heard that the tires wear more quickly than on an ICE vehicle due to the overall weight of the car. anyone have any guess or insight into which tire they think will last longer? the 20s, 21s, or 22s?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
i've never owned an electric vehicle but i heard that the tires wear more quickly than on an ICE vehicle due to the overall weight of the car. anyone have any guess or insight into which tire they think will last longer? the 20s, 21s, or 22s?
Based on their specs, I would expect the 20s to last longest (highest wear rating plus deepest tread) and the the 22s to wear the fastest (lowest wear rating due to sportiest tread compound).

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’ve never gotten a set of tires to last their entire advertised life expectancy, but I’ve also found that a higher number of miles doesn’t necessarily mean the tire will last longer. I’ve bought 65k tires that had to be replaced by 35k and 50k tires that made it to 40k+.
The Rivian tires are advertised as follows:
20” Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain = 50,000 miles
21” Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season = 65,000 miles
22” Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season = 50,000 miles

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I've never had this heavy of a vehicle, but generally chunky ATs or MTs do have quite a life to them. Now on a 800hp supertruck who knows but I would put my money on the 20's, followed by the 21's, then 22's as the 22's have the stickiest compound.

sixpak

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Kona Electric, Hyundai Santa Cruz, Model 3
Occupation
Project Manager
EV's quick acceleration and strong regen braking take a heavy toll on tires. Our first set of Michelin's on a 2018 Model 3 AWD wore evenly to 2/32 in less than 20,000 miles. Yes, initially we were doing a lot of blasts off the line as we were amazed with the torque but after that wore off, we noticed the one pedal regen braking causing a lot of wear on the tires. We filed a claim with Michelin and they were very kind approve a 65% credit on another set of Michelin's as long as they could get the original set to test.

I expect with the massive torque and weight of the Rivian, the factory tires will also wear prematurely. My money is on the 21" for the best bang as they would have the least rolling resistance to get the better epa mileage rating.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The 21s should last the longest as mentioned by several above, but in general I don't expect any of these tires to last to 50k miles as advertised. If I get 30k out of my 20 ATs I'll be happy.

I had a RWD Model S that cooked the back tires pretty quick just due to the electric drive. I was replacing around 23-25k. With the quad motor set up it's a little harder to tell, but a 7000lb truck with 800HP is going to be hard on tires.

Because the full size spare is a real wheel and tire set up, I'll be doing a 5 tire rotation with my truck to help get the most out of them.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

4300 miles and the outside of my front passenger is almost down to the wear bars on 22's. My truck has alignment issues that they didn't fully address yet. Planning on having that tackled again soon.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I had a RWD Model S that cooked the back tires pretty quick just due to the electric drive. I was replacing around 23-25k. With the quad motor set up it's a little harder to tell, but a 7000lb truck with 800HP is going to be hard on tires.

Because the full size spare is a real wheel and tire set up, I'll be doing a 5 tire rotation with my truck to help get the most out of them.
I used to have a 400hp BMW 330i (rwd e46) that would burn through a set of summer tires in less than 15k miles (I was running 255s all around so was even able to rotate front to rear unlike the stock staggered setup). With the aggressive all-season 22s on the Rivian, I'll be pleased if I get 20-25k miles out of a set. Obviously driving habits will factor in....

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

So dependant on how you drive and where you drive. Not sure how anyone could give you a number.

For instance I'm over 72k miles on my RAM Rebel AT tires and they still have tread. I take it to the dealership for oil changes and ask if I need new tires every time and they say no. So if a dealer isn't attempting to sell me tires, I figure they are still good.

Caveats -- most of my miles are at a constant highway speed. Every month or 2 I drive up to Northern WI, 360 miles 1 way, all highway.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Based on their specs, I would expect the 20s to last longest (highest wear rating plus deepest tread) and the the 22s to wear the fastest (lowest wear rating due to sportiest tread compound).
out of curiosity, where did you find info on the wear rating?

Sponsored

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

So dependant on how you drive and where you drive. Not sure how anyone could give you a number.

For instance I'm over 72k miles on my RAM Rebel AT tires and they still have tread. I take it to the dealership for oil changes and ask if I need new tires every time and they say no. So if a dealer isn't attempting to sell me tires, I figure they are still good.

Caveats -- most of my miles are at a constant highway speed. Every month or 2 I drive up to Northern WI, 360 miles 1 way, all highway.
wow, thats pretty good. how many miles are those tires rated for?

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

4300 miles and the outside of my front passenger is almost down to the wear bars on 22's. My truck has alignment issues that they didn't fully address yet. Planning on having that tackled again soon.
yikes... that doesnt sound promising in terms of longevity. what about the other tires wear?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
out of curiosity, where did you find info on the wear rating?
tirerack.com

20: 640 and 13/32
21: 600 and 10/32
22: 500 and ??/32
(most likely 9/32 - 10/32)

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
yikes... that doesnt sound promising in terms of longevity. what about the other tires wear?
don't read too much into that. a bad alignment will eat tires quicker than anything else.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
When you look up reviews on the non-Rivian versions of each of those tires, the Verde (Rivian 21") does get pretty good reviews, but I also saw quite a few people complaining about them wearing down quickly. I agree with others that the 20" ATs would probably last the longest, but who knows how long with a truck this heavy.
Sponsored