Sponsored

Longevity of tires between 20s, 21s, and 22s?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

wow, thats pretty good. how many miles are those tires rated for?
Just checked online and the manufacturer lists as 65k.

Toyo Open Country AT.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just checked online and the manufacturer lists as 65k.

Toyo Open Country AT.
I can second that. I have the Toyo Open Country AT3 on my Tacoma and have been very happy with them so far. Quiet on the highway, excellent in the snow/ ice and they still look brand new after about 20k miles on them.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I agree with others that the 20" ATs would probably last the longest, but who knows how long with a truck this heavy.
Yes, in most of the comments so far we've been comparing the longevity of the 3 different tires with all other variables including vehicle and driver being the same. They haven't been on the road long enough to get a feel for how many miles each of these tires might actually achieve and just how large (or small) the difference between them might be. I do expect to see a very wide range of experiences for each tire model as that data starts to come in over time. Mostly due to people having different driving styles.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Tire wear depends so much on the driver/driving style, driving conditions and vehicle weight that its almost meaningless for one person to say I usually get X miles, then another to say I only get y miles.

While treadwear number and traction letters provides some indications for how long the tire might last, the best indication is how as your tires last historically for similar rated tires. In other words, you have to use your own driving style and conditions against how these tires might last.

Generally speaking though, summer tires (which tends to be performance tires) last less than all weather. That said, if you take the winter tires and drive them on the hot summer days, it wont last your very long either.

So think back to all of your vehicles and what kind of tires you buy (or came with the vehicle and how long did it last) probably will give you a good indicator of any tires. As an example, I usually expect 30~35K miles for any tires I've owned. This includes tires with 600 wear indicator.

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
i've never owned an electric vehicle but i heard that the tires wear more quickly than on an ICE vehicle due to the overall weight of the car. anyone have any guess or insight into which tire they think will last longer? the 20s, 21s, or 22s?
M
My 21ā€ road tires after 5 months of driving 9k miles already need replacing. Expensive set of tires 2k total cost šŸ˜³

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The 21s should last the longest as mentioned by several above, but in general I don't expect any of these tires to last to 50k miles as advertised. If I get 30k out of my 20 ATs I'll be happy.

I had a RWD Model S that cooked the back tires pretty quick just due to the electric drive. I was replacing around 23-25k. With the quad motor set up it's a little harder to tell, but a 7000lb truck with 800HP is going to be hard on tires.

Because the full size spare is a real wheel and tire set up, I'll be doing a 5 tire rotation with my truck to help get the most out of them.
This assuming rotation every 5-7K?

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

M
My 21ā€ road tires after 5 months of driving 9k miles already need replacing. Expensive set of tires 2k total cost šŸ˜³
9000 miles? that's it! what kind of driving do you do?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

M
Driving habits???? That's a bit fast

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
This assuming rotation every 5-7K?
Yeah Im rotating my 5 tires every 6-7K so Iā€™ve only rotated them once as Iā€™m at almost 10k miles. So far Iā€™m very happy with the Pirelli 20 ATs and thinking I might get more life out of them than I originally expected. But I would check with some of the people who have more miles. There are forum members who have put 20-30k on these tires already I believe.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Probably hwy/city of 60/40. Normal driving with very few 0-60s. Always conserve on freeways and AP once off. Handful of offroad days. Tire rotation at 6500.
Well behaved....

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Iā€™m about 11k miles in on the 21ā€™s with mild driving on freeways, but also live in a canyon that I have to drive a couple miles in and out of each day. I dont drive fast or push it around corners, but the fronts are definitely wearing quicker than the rearsā€¦ I dont have a tread gauge, but compared to the spare, my guess is Im replacing the tires at 20k miles max. Also, I rotated at 8k miles. At this rate it looks like tires will be almost a yearly thingā€¦ which kinda sucks. My old commuter, a GX470 that was built for overlanding, had KO2s that I replaced at 45k and that thing saw a lot of freeway, canyon and off road time.

Anecdotally our model 3 SR+ made it to 30k miles on the OEM tires before I replaced them, which is not far off the Rivian since it weighs so much more

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
M
This is why Iā€™m switching to the 20ā€™s when the time comesā€¦ whatā€™s another 2-3k for the better wheels ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Sponsored