cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I remember when the R1T first started getting delivered we all found out that the tonneau was not exactly good for water protection. Water would drip a little or, more commonly, enter the bed through the lights, air compressor, and electrical outlet ports.

I recall some people took it back to the SC and maybe it was fixed, maybe not. But I never really saw a resolution to it, whether it was something rivian was addressing or not.

Was there ever a concrete resolution to this or is it just something that happens and that's that? I tried poking around and I haven't seen any reference to this issue for some time, now. I'm curious if it's an actual defect or just a fact of life?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I remember when the R1T first started getting delivered we all found out that the tonneau was not exactly good for water protection. Water would drip a little or, more commonly, enter the bed through the lights, air compressor, and electrical outlet ports.

I recall some people took it back to the SC and maybe it was fixed, maybe not. But I never really saw a resolution to it, whether it was something rivian was addressing or not.

Was there ever a concrete resolution to this or is it just something that happens and that's that? I tried poking around and I haven't seen any reference to this issue for some time, now. I'm curious if it's an actual defect or just a fact of life?
It's marketed as weather resistant, not waterproof. The panels in my truck have some loosely adheared plastic that's supposed to help keep water from getting into that stuff but I have no idea if they made a change in the panel or they keep putting what looks like a ripped garbage bag in.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have never had any water intrusion anywhere but around the end of the tonneau and this water just drains out between the tailgate and the bed.

Water intrusion around the lights, air compressor and AC outlet sounds like a defect. Are many people experiencing that? What does service say?

Reactions: VSG
OP
OP
cjbot3000

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

It was a thing when they were first getting delivered but then everyone stopped talking about it.

I never really bothered with it because I never expected it to be fully waterproof, but the intrusion around electrical things makes me a little nervous.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Like @jjswan33, I never had any problems with water getting into my bed when the tonneau is closed. Dust yes, but water no.

Obviously, the bed is "outside" so humidity is a factor, and obviously water *could* theoretically get in there. So my practice has always been to put everything I want to stay dry into cheap plastic bins. These are not "waterproof" either, but they are rain-proof, and they can sit in a puddle while protecting the contents. And they make everything easier to load/unload, and keep things from sliding around.

I live in the PNW so we get a lot of rain. And I've washed my R1T many times with a pressure washer in my driveway. But aside from a few damp patches occasionally, I've never seen water intrusion. Certainly no standing water, and certainly no water running out of the outlets/compressor doors. Yes, I know a few people reported that a year ago when R1Ts were first being delivered, but since I haven't read many (if any) reports of this I would consider it to be a defect of your vehicle (not a defect of the design) if this is happening to you.
Sponsored

Last edited: