First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
You are correct. The problem is not the batteries but the inability for the truck to charge them.
Rivian said a software fix should be available in 2 weeks.

PackinDSS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
Big Tech
2023 R1S. Took delivery in January. Truck would stopped shifting into Drive/Reverse and the climate controls would not turn on. The following day the truck was bricked. Mobile tech coming Thursday...I expect a tow to Brooklyn to follow.

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
Did you get the latest update yet? If not, then that's just crappy timing because the update is supposed to fix this.

PackinDSS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Big Tech
Did you get the latest update yet? If not, then that's just crappy timing because the update is supposed to fix this.
2023.6.2 is the update I currently have. I believe it came thru and installed earlier this month.

Sponsored

PackinDSS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Big Tech
2023.10.01 is the latest update so that sucks that you just missed it before your truck got bricked.
Yeah.... Rivian Mobile tech is wrapping up. He said the same thing. Took 2hrs but they just finished and truck seems good. Im lucky...I did a 550mile round trip over 13hrs the night before to pickup some used Tesla MSP 21in wheels...happy I didnt get stranded on that trip.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T 12v batteries dead Rivian Tech.JPG

zigzagzap

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
I’d wait for more testing and user reports before dropping that in your Rivian. Some Tesla owners have had some issues.

https://www.teslaownersonline.com/threads/the-12v-ohmmu-issue-with-2021-44-30-update.20184/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ohmmu-12v-battery-feedback.189962/page-5
I reach out to the folks at Ohmmu.com to distill down the facts and provide accurate information usefully to all forum members. I feel very comfortable with their reply and will upgrade my battery once I have delivered and completed my due diligence.

"There is no issue in Tesla in general, the platform with the issues is the 3/Y specifically. The S/X have not had the same erroneous alerts issues like the 3/Y. Having said that, we build these batteries for dozens of models and only the Tesla 3/Y struggle with alerts. Rivian are not the same as Tesla 3/Y and with 2 12V batteries in parallel there is little chance they will take some od the approaches Tesla has with the 3/Y (overbearing "test" protocols specific only to the OEM 12V lead battery)."

https://www.ohmmu.com/rivian

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

My R1S has 500 miles on it and already has been hit by 12v battery problems. Last Wednesday I left it at a detail shop to get wrapped in Xpel film, and the guy called me this morning to say that they're nearly done but that the car shut down on them so they had to jump the 12v - which only partially worked. I called Rivian Service who were then going to call the shop to diagnose and figure out whether they can send a mobile tech or have to tow the car to Chelsea MA Service Center.

I thought they'd fixed this issue...

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

My R1S has 500 miles on it and already has been hit by 12v battery problems. Last Wednesday I left it at a detail shop to get wrapped in Xpel film, and the guy called me this morning to say that they're nearly done but that the car shut down on them so they had to jump the 12v - which only partially worked. I called Rivian Service who were then going to call the shop to diagnose and figure out whether they can send a mobile tech or have to tow the car to Chelsea MA Service Center.

I thought they'd fixed this issue...
I too thought it had been fixed. Anyone else with a fairly new build still having issues?

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I too thought it had been fixed. Anyone else with a fairly new build still having issues?
Not sure it is an early vs new build issue. I am in 3xxx and never had an issue and have 25k on it.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Not sure it is an early vs new build issue. I am in 3xxx and never had an issue and have 25k on it.
I was thinking new builds with the replacement capacitor. I am interested if that has solved the problem.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
I was thinking new builds with the replacement capacitor. I am interested if that has solved the problem.
There hasn’t been an official statement from Rivian. I am of the belief that it is more of a cost cutting solution, rather than a fix for dead 12v bolt batteries.

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, 997 Turbo, Q7
Clubs

So is it a good idea then to carry one of portable jump packs in case the 12v mysteriously dies?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So is it a good idea then to carry one of portable jump packs in case the 12v mysteriously dies?
Where would you store it? Once your 12V batt goes dead... you lose access to the cab, gear tunnel, frunk, etc.. unless you want to start taking the Rivian apart to access the frunk manual release ripcord (but then you still need tools to remove body parts to get access to the frunk manual release ripcord). The perks of a vehicle with no physical key locks :(
Sponsored