Sponsored

YET ANOTHER 12V battery fail thread

Twitter Fingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
In all of my years owning ICE vehicles I have never had a warning that the battery was going to die. The car just doesn't start.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve A.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

In all of my years owning ICE vehicles I have never had a warning that the battery was going to die. The car just doesn't start.
You never noticed it taking longer than usual when trying to start it? If the battery is the root cause, then you can tell 100% of the time beforehand if you start it on a daily basis; i.e. if it hasn't been sitting for weeks.

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

If it's lack of software feature related, then yeah, I will continue to beat the dead horse! ;-)

That said, I hope they don't *try* to blame it on my @EV Sportline Apple CarPlay / Android Auto Smart Dash Screen install since it's wired to the fuse box and only wakes up when the R1S wakes up.

If they try, then I'm going to need some empirical evidence to refute from @EV Sportline.
If you plugged in our kit to the fuse we direct you to, that fuse turns on/off with the vehicle. Should be fine. Rivian has had some 12v issues, but the smart sceen doesnt trigger them.

OP
OP
Steve A.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

If you plugged in our kit to the fuse we direct you to, that fuse turns on/off with the vehicle. Should be fine. Rivian has had some 12v issues, but the smart sceen doesnt trigger them.
Roger that. Just wondered if you had heard of any such claims by RIvian service? The fuse tap install has worked flawlessly and I keep my R1S plugged into my home charger when at home anyway.

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case I meet w/ resistance since I've only had these 12V batteries 8 months.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You should have heard the laughter from my friend when I told him my battery died, back in January. It's the size of a motorcycle battery. I agree with you that there should be a better way. Mine was replaced as probably yours will too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve A.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

You should have heard the laughter from my friend when I told him my battery died, back in January. It's the size of a motorcycle battery. I agree with you that there should be a better way. Mine was replaced as probably yours will too.
I just watched the video of how to replace both 12V batteries. Certainly, not as simple as an easily accessible ICE 12V including my wife's Cayenne which is under the passenger side feet.

Also, why have jumper cables from the rear under the tow hitch cover? Is that supposed to be more easily accessible? #not

Just another example of Rivian NOT engineering for easy repairs like the lack of quarter panels. SMH

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I just watched the video of how to replace both 12V batteries. Certainly, not as simple as an easily accessible ICE 12V including my wife's Cayenne which is under the passenger side feet.

Also, why have jumper cables from the rear under the tow hitch cover? Is that supposed to be more easily accessible? #not

Just another example of Rivian NOT engineering for easy repairs like the lack of quarter panels. SMH
The hitch actually is fairly accessible. If you're parked nose-in, another vehicle can easily pull up behind you and hook up jumper cables to your rear end. Anywhere in the frunk requires tools to get to the manual frunk release. Where else would you put the hookup so it doesn't require power or tools?

OP
OP
Steve A.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

The hitch actually is fairly accessible. If you're parked nose-in, another vehicle can easily pull up behind you and hook up jumper cables to your rear end. Anywhere in the frunk requires tools to get to the manual frunk release. Where else would you put the hookup so it doesn't require power or tools?
Well at least the tow truck operator did not have a fun time getting down on the wet ground in the pouring rain getting the tow hitch cover off which required a screwdriver and then had a difficult time getting the jumper cables back into the slot.

Point taken w/ the frunk manual release though. Yet ANOTHER case of poor engineering decision not factoring in repairability.

Here's a crazy idea, how about an easily accessible manual release for the frunk just like EVERY ICE vehicle and then just a single 12V battery w/ 2 terminals and maybe 1 more bolt to secure the battery in place all 3 of which can be loossened/tightened w/ the SAME socket/wrench? Imagine that! #NotRocketScience

FWIW, my Tesla owner buddy said his Tesla battery took 5 mins to swap. SMH

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well at least the tow truck operator did not have a fun time getting down on the wet ground in the pouring rain getting the tow hitch cover off which required a screwdriver and then had a difficult time getting the jumper cables back into the slot.

Point taken w/ the frunk manual release though. Yet ANOTHER case of poor engineering decision not factoring in repairability.

Here's a crazy idea, how about an easily accessible manual release for the frunk just like EVERY ICE vehicle and then just a single 12V battery w/ 2 terminals and maybe 1 more bolt to secure the battery in place all 3 of which can be loossened/tightened w/ the SAME socket/wrench? Imagine that! #NotRocketScience

FWIW, my Tesla owner buddy said his Tesla battery took 5 mins to swap. SMH
An easy-to-access manual frunk release means everything in your frunk will be stolen quickly and easily. Remember, if the battery's dead with locked doors, you can't get into the cabin either, so the typical ICE trunk release lever by the driver-side console wouldn't help either. It would have to be external.

OP
OP
Steve A.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

An easy-to-access manual frunk release means everything in your frunk will be stolen quickly and easily. Remember, if the battery's dead with locked doors, you can't get into the cabin either, so the typical ICE trunk release lever by the driver-side console wouldn't help either. It would have to be external.
Once again, this is NOT an insurmountable engineering problem. The simple solution (used by every ICE vehicle) is to actually have a backup manual key (even can be part of the keyfob like Audi and Porsche) to unlock the doors.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I would have put a physical lock on the cabin(with a slide out key in FOB), so in a failure in dangerous cold conditions, owner can into cabin, and then a manual release for the frunk, somewhere in the cabin, so that the batteries(and charger I would store in frunk) could be accessed.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I was actually thinking of extending the manual release cable for frunk to somewhere more easily accessible and then keeping a JNC jump pack in the frunk. Odds of anyone figuring it out and opening frunk and stealing the jump pack are pretty small.

OP
OP
Steve A.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I was actually thinking of extending the manual release cable for frunk to somewhere more easily accessible and then keeping a JNC jump pack in the frunk. Odds of anyone figuring it out and opening frunk and stealing the jump pack are pretty small.
Well, this am I went out to drive my backup ICE vehicle (2013 Ford Expedition Limited w/ 206k miles) and OF COURSE its 12V battery was dead too! Yes, I knew it was weak since I don't drive it often and it was sitting outside this weekend in the cold due to my daughter was home w/ her Audi Q7 taking up it's spot in our garage, BUT I just started it Monday and drove it into town no problem.

So, I got my booster pack out of my wife's Cayenne, since it wouldn't start a couple weeks ago due to it sitting too long w/o being started. Although the booster pack is ~5 years old, I haven't really used it much over the years, and I fully charged it last weekend when I put it in the Cayenne's trunk.

OF COURSE, the booster pack was dead too! SMH.

#CurseOfThe12Vs

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think we’ve had this discussion before, but what booster packs have enough capacity to get the truck fully started up, as opposed to just enough to unlock the doors?

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Dont complain too much about Rivian here. Not every ICE vehicle has a convenient 12V replacement warning / procedure. My 2016 Jeep GC with a ~5 yo battery had been sitting in my driveway for 2 months without me turning it on and the battery randomly died. When I say it died, I mean it completely went kaput and I couldn't jump it at all.

Unbeknownst to me until the battery died, the 12v lives under the passenger seat. Part of the procedure in the manual to replace the 12V requires the battery to be able to be jumped :facepalm:. So instead, to get to the battery I had to physically remove the entire passenger seat from the car (actually pretty easy). I've replaced 12Vs over the years in several vehicles, and this was by far the most annoying.

As a side note, because the vehicle died in my driveway I went through the twilight zone trying to get the battery replaced. One auto parts store wouldn't sell me a replacement because it has "professional installation required" listed because of the idiotic location of the battery. Another offered to install the battery for me so long as I could get the car to them (via tow truck I assume??). A third would sell me the battery, but then only if I tow my truck to the closet full service garage because they 1) didn't offer installation, and 2) couldn't verify the dead battery was the problem. I ended up buying from the second place and just figured it out on my own.

Ps no I didn't have AAA or an equivalent. I looked into joining just to have them come replace the battery for me and it would have cost ~$550 total for membership, fees, parts, etc (I did it myself for $240).
Sponsored